• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

May Heritage Auction Really Shaping Up!
3 3

405 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

If the $US dollar continues to strengthen against my beaver dollars, I may be forced to sit out this auction.  $1USD = $1.44CAD.  Ouch!!!

I actually had some USD set aside to pay my CDN tax liability this year so for once forex will help me out!

Our beaver dollars are in for a rough year.   Buying will be tough but selling will be good, or at least better.

3 minutes ago, Bronty said:

I actually had some USD set aside to pay my CDN tax liability this year so for once forex will help me out!

Our beaver dollars are in for a rough year.   Buying will be tough but selling will be good, or at least better.

Agreed.  Once we break under the 70 cent threshold, it will be much easier for a free fall to occur.

4 minutes ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

Agreed.  Once we break under the 70 cent threshold, it will be much easier for a free fall to occur.

I'm not sure what the relevance of that threshold is, but our dollar being so tied to oil and with so little economic activity happening worldwide, resulting in zero demand for oil........ ugh... it could get really low.

Edited by Bronty

22 hours ago, Bronty said:

If I did I didn't pay attention to it, but 80m in consignments in two weeks has got to be about double the normal volume.   If they sell 1b worth of material a year as I've seen mentioned, a typical two week period should be around 40m

Their coin operation numbers makes the comic and comic art section look like a pocket full of lint and subway tokens. 

1 hour ago, comix4fun said:

Their coin operation numbers makes the comic and comic art section look like a pocket full of lint and subway tokens. 

Which is always interesting to me because I know almost no one that actually collects coins.   I guess it must be a slightly different crowd than the pop culture (comics etc) types.

Edited by Bronty

51 minutes ago, Bronty said:

Which is always interesting to me because I know almost no one that actually collects coins.   I guess it must be a slightly different crowd than the pop culture (comics etc) types.

It may be the average price per item, or gross number of items, but the high dollar amount per auction is how Heritage grew to the size it is. That always surprised me because it's not my thing.

I don't get it, it's my dad's generation's hobby to me, but there it is. 

22 hours ago, Bronty said:

I'm not sure what the relevance of that threshold is, but our dollar being so tied to oil and with so little economic activity happening worldwide, resulting in zero demand for oil........ ugh... it could get really low.

It’s a psychological threshold.  

$1 US now cost $1.48.  Ugh!

35 minutes ago, vodou said:

Roughly $1.60 is the peak from a few years back.

GBP making all-time records lows against USD this morning. That's hard pain for obligations borrowed in USD!

image.thumb.png.a62909b445840936fb249d874aa8e646.png

Nah I don’t remember it ever being 1.60. The peak I think was in 2016 around 1.45 (kinda where it’s at now). But I am in the same boat. Makes it difficult to buy at this rate but lovely to sell!

15 minutes ago, RICKYBOBBY said:

Nah I don’t remember it ever being 1.60. The peak I think was in 2016 around 1.45 (kinda where it’s at now). But I am in the same boat. Makes it difficult to buy at this rate but lovely to sell!

The Canadian dollar tanked against the $US back in Jan 21 2002, when it hit a modern day low of 61.79 cents US.

the cross rate was $1US = $1.618 CAD.  It would have cost around $1.65 CAD to purchase $1USD

1 hour ago, vodou said:

You must be quite young. 2001-2003...

image.png.80c3e54edd341a446f2862eb46135efe.png

Ahh thanks for that. You had said a few years back and thought you meant 2016 ish. I definitely was not doing any buying, converting or even watching the US dollar back in 2002. I was still in high schoool... lol

Seems as though Heritage received a flurry of last minute consignments just before the deadline date.

as of this morning, 305 OA lots are listed with full title and descriptions, but there’s a lot more great OA in the miscellaneous section, too.

unfortunately, I think I’ll be sitting this one out, watching along the sidelines.

32 minutes ago, glendgold said:

I am very curious whether this auction is going to happen as scheduled.

Yes.

HA needs their 20%, but it will be against everything going for at least 30% less than it would have two weeks ago.

20% of 70% is better than 0% of 0% cuz: "sale cancelled".