• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

May Heritage Auction Really Shaping Up!
3 3

405 posts in this topic

7 minutes ago, delekkerste said:

Snap poll suggests it went for less than expectations.

Expectations might have been skewed by the $150K asking price on it when it was shopped privately. 

I really like the cover.    70 seems kinda cheap relative to other data points to me.

1 minute ago, stinkininkin said:

What did I just witness???? 132k for that hot mess of a Barry Smith Xmen cover was complete madness!!!!

thanks for saying what I was thinking lol

2 minutes ago, stinkininkin said:

What did I just witness???? 132k for that hot mess of a Barry Smith Xmen cover was complete madness!!!!

You know my opinion on BWS early artwork. The anatomy is still weak not as bad as some of the Conan work but still subpar especially for an X-Men cover and one two people are willing to pay over $100K for. Crazy.

3 minutes ago, batman_fan said:

I thought is was a pretty ugly cover, really shocked at how high it went.  Aren’t you we suppose to be in the middle of an economic collapse?

Just imagine the number if we weren't :)

11 minutes ago, Brian Peck said:

You know my opinion on BWS early artwork. The anatomy is still weak not as bad as some of the Conan work but still subpar especially for an X-Men cover and one two people are willing to pay over $100K for. Crazy.

ANY BWS Conan art is light years ahead of this Xmen cover.

$51,600 plus juice

Spectacular Spider-Man #132 Cover by Zeck and McLeod seems like a good price for one of the lesser covers from the story. I think its the 5th best cover, Web of Spider-Man #31 is a slightly better cover with the city in the background. Plus it kicks off the story with a cliffhanger image.

Edited by Brian Peck

3 minutes ago, stinkininkin said:

ANY BWS Conan art is light years ahead of this Xmen cover.

Yep.  But Conan is rapidly fading into obscurity while the X-Men have had some kind of movie out every couple of years for the past 20.  The only Barry Smith in high demand these days seems to be his work on prominent Marvel characters (e.g., X-Men, Wolverine/Weapon X), which is a shame, especially for those of us who really appreciate his greater body of work. 

$132K for that cover is madness, but, the heart wants what the heart wants (not mine, to be clear!)