• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

May Heritage Auction Really Shaping Up!
3 3

405 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Carlo M said:

These are two very nice pages, both must be nice in person at twice up size.  They seemed pretty similar to me, anybody has a sense as to why the price difference?

I agree I wanted them both. I’m thinking a few people went harder based on the last panel. That’s what influenced me but I would’ve been happy with either page now that they are gone 🤨

2 hours ago, grapeape said:

I thought I had a shot.

two great Colan DD 27 pages featuring Spider-Man. I focused on the page 12....hammered $19,800. I didn’t have enough bid bullets.

I was hoping half that....

page 11 (no slouch) went for $12,000

Encouraging sales for consignors and as mentioned a few higher priced items selling for less the second time around.

🍇 + 🦍 

I went very strong for that page but lost, did not want to cross over $20k all in to get that page.  The problem is that there are so many other things you can buy for $20k which have better visual images or full on splashes or covers.  the power and dynamics of the piece are what drew me I just couldn't go to that final bid or two.  

5 minutes ago, Foolkiller said:

I went very strong for that page but lost, did not want to cross over $20k all in to get that page.  The problem is that there are so many other things you can buy for $20k which have better visual images or full on splashes or covers.  the power and dynamics of the piece are what drew me I just couldn't go to that final bid or two.  

I can see why it went this high. I just had 11 K as an absolute ceiling for the page before settling in on going for it.

Power and dynamics

1967 Colan

Yeah with limitless Bank roll a no brainer but I had to tap out also.

14 minutes ago, Bill C said:

Saw some stuff I thought was pretty low- a little surprising, after yesterday's results.

For example- Strange Adventures #149 cover- 7.5K (Anderson pencils/inks, twice up, published, 1962, great end of the world image). The #146 cover was even cheaper, but the image far less attractive IMO.

Also the Hawkman #12 complete 24 page (!) story, for 40.8K. That includes the killer splash page with two well rendered full body shots of Hawkman and Hawkwoman, along with two other splash pages.

I bid on the Anderson Hawkman stuff as well, but the estate has let a glut out on to the market over the years I feel.  I thought there were some great pages in the 24 page complete story, but really am not interested enough in Hawkman period at those prices.  I got one page from a dealer and feel satisfied I won't be buying anymore Murphy Anderson Hawkman stuff unless at lower end prices.  I'm guessing some folks felt similar to me on those pieces.  The SA cover was sort of meh.  Things that don't have known characters or by classic artists don't seem to fetch the same level.  To me those covers were sort of meh, and DC sci fi just doesn't have the same following of folks clamoring to buy it.  

7 minutes ago, Bill C said:

All valid points. My only disagreement would be implying that Anderson isn't a classic artist (although I think Kane is a classic artist also, and I know many here would disagree with me).

There has definitely been a glut of Anderson artwork in the last year or so, and Hawkman is a B level hero- but I think there is good meat on the bone if the winner of that 24 page story splits it up at reasonable prices.

I just hope a glut of his Captain Comet pages come up so I can pick a nice one up for a reasonable (to me at this point in life) price. I feel the best of the three of them (the one that is at the highest price currently) that ends tomorrow is worth a good 2K, but I'd like to see several more come out so the limited (?) buyers get their fill and eventually leave the running. Maybe I can step in and get a nice example after that.

I should be clear.  I love Murphy Anderson work.  I'd buy up more Hawkman pages, but I don't love it enough to pay numbers that are huge.  A dealer likely bought it to break it up, and there were some spectacular pages.  But does someone want to pay $15 or $20k for a good splash now when you could have had the other 23 pages for another $20k.  I don't know, but I feel like if you were a serious Murphy fan you saw this, considered it, passed on it.  I do think he's a great artist and one of my faves.  There's just too much Hawkman around though.  

1 hour ago, Bill C said:

Also the Hawkman #12 complete 24 page (!) story, for 40.8K. That includes the killer splash page with two well rendered full body shots of Hawkman and Hawkwoman, along with two other splash pages.

The Hawkman story was the absolute STEAL of the auction. I did the quick math on what the three splashes and multiple great action pages were worth and even with the few non hawkman pages included I had the FMV on the story closer to $60k. Extremely well bought, and the buyer is the beneficiary of a lot of supply currently hitting the market because Murphy Anderson in terms of quality and influence is part of the absolute royalty of the Silver and Bronze Age. 

16 minutes ago, Foolkiller said:

I should be clear.  I love Murphy Anderson work.  I'd buy up more Hawkman pages, but I don't love it enough to pay numbers that are huge.  A dealer likely bought it to break it up, and there were some spectacular pages.  But does someone want to pay $15 or $20k for a good splash now when you could have had the other 23 pages for another $20k.  I don't know, but I feel like if you were a serious Murphy fan you saw this, considered it, passed on it.  I do think he's a great artist and one of my faves.  There's just too much Hawkman around though.  

There were THREE splash pages included, and some of those battle pages were spectacular....$2500 or more by themselves. I ran through this story with a fine tooth comb for valuation and blew past $40k 2/3rds of the way through. 

3 minutes ago, Bill C said:

15-20K for a good Hawkman splash does sound really high. As many splashes have come to HA in the last year, most have been part of chaper/story lots, so we don't have (IIRC) tons of hard data on the spalshes by themselves. That said- real crude estimates (full disclosure I dont follow Anderson's Hawkman stuff)- I was thinking the killer page 1 splash at around 9K, the other two (lesser) chaper splashes maybe 6K each, and the rest of the 21 Hawkman pages crudely averaging out at 2K each. If they sold at those prices via a dealer, there's some good meat there without getting unrealistic on price.

There's no doubt they will make money on it for sure, but I think it's investing $40k and then what's the return, I mean it could be huge upside but I'm not sure when and for how much.  I did not want to push up from where it was around 40k or so... I actually liked a couple of those panel pages quite a bit.

1 minute ago, Bill C said:

...great minds?

Look at my estimate total on the book, posted seconds before you.

Yeah, lol you nailed it too. The math is very easy and there are so many comps out there that it's impossible to not see 50's to 60k on this. 

1 minute ago, comix4fun said:

There were THREE splash pages included, and some of those battle pages were spectacular....$2500 or more by themselves. I ran through this story with a fine tooth comb for valuation and blew past $40k 2/3rds of the way through. 

It's not a question of whether you could make money on it, it's when and how much.  I'm stating that I personally didn't want to put 45 or 50 in to win it and then have to break up the book sell it etc.  I just don't see it as all that great to do that.

3 minutes ago, Foolkiller said:

It's not a question of whether you could make money on it, it's when and how much.  I'm stating that I personally didn't want to put 45 or 50 in to win it and then have to break up the book sell it etc.  I just don't see it as all that great to do that.

It's rare that anything goes below actual retail in these auctions. Most of the good quality items are going for full retail or well beyond it. I completely understand not wanting to sink 45 or 50 to work to get 60. If it's a collector that got it then he got what he wanted at a price he'd never see in a million years from a dealer. 

This story happened to go for 30% off. Whomever bought it, maybe a dealer maybe not, got a nice bargain compared to market because of perceived over-supply. That's hard to pass up for SA art royalty like Anderson and how sweet so many of the pages in this story were. This was probably the smartest "today" purchase of the auction compared to full value. I think in a few years, when Anderson's estate dump is fully absorbed, it will look even smarter for the buyer today. 

I remember the couple of years after Tony Christopher's Kirbys hit the market, flat as a road trip through the midwest, but I would have been a smarter man if I would've taken advantage at the time. 

9 minutes ago, comix4fun said:

It's rare that anything goes below actual retail in these auctions. Most of the good quality items are going for full retail or well beyond it. I completely understand not wanting to sink 45 or 50 to work to get 60. If it's a collector that got it then he got what he wanted at a price he'd never see in a million years from a dealer. 

This story happened to go for 30% off. Whomever bought it, maybe a dealer maybe not, got a nice bargain compared to market because of perceived over-supply. That's hard to pass up for SA art royalty like Anderson and how sweet so many of the pages in this story were. This was probably the smartest "today" purchase of the auction compared to full value. I think in a few years, when Anderson's estate dump is fully absorbed, it will look even smarter for the buyer today. 

I remember the couple of years after Tony Christopher's Kirbys hit the market, flat as a road trip through the midwest, but I would have been a smarter man if I would've taken advantage at the time. 

You're probably right that it will look better in a few years -- but I think the other side of that is that multiple dealers bid in HA and if it were 30% off I'd have assumed a little more bidding.  But -- I did want it as a collector and did think of continuing to push it, but then I guess I also didn't feel the need for 24 pages from this book and owning a complete book didn't have the same allure for me as I thought it might.  Then again, I'm sure if I hadn't already won something I'd have been pushing harder on that complete book for sure.  If I had gotten it at 45 or even 50 I probably would have been satisfied as a collector.

9 minutes ago, Foolkiller said:

You're probably right that it will look better in a few years -- but I think the other side of that is that multiple dealers bid in HA and if it were 30% off I'd have assumed a little more bidding.  But -- I did want it as a collector and did think of continuing to push it, but then I guess I also didn't feel the need for 24 pages from this book and owning a complete book didn't have the same allure for me as I thought it might.  Then again, I'm sure if I hadn't already won something I'd have been pushing harder on that complete book for sure.  If I had gotten it at 45 or even 50 I probably would have been satisfied as a collector.

Foolkiller, your avatar of Cap goes very well with your username.  Just sayin'.

The only thing I intended to bid on went absolutely guns a blazin was that Kelley Jones Batman cover. 33.6 before sales tax?! What are good pages, 1300?  

It goes to show how strong a following he truly has.

56 minutes ago, zhamlau said:

The only thing I intended to bid on went absolutely guns a blazin was that Kelley Jones Batman cover. 33.6 before sales tax?! What are good pages, 1300?  

It goes to show how strong a following he truly has.

I said to a friend the other day that the real heat in this OA market is in the nostalgia kill zone for Millennials (and a good number of 40-something Gen Xers as well, to be sure), with the hottest artists being "McFarlane, Lee, Mignola, Kelley Jones, etc."  He said "Kelley Jones? Really?"  

Yes, Kelley Jones.  Really.  And I guess you can add Tim Sale to the list as well (of course, I am talking about these artists on their most popular runs).  

Edited by delekkerste

6 hours ago, Mickey7 said:

Zeck G.I. Joe #25 cover sold for a solid price of $21,000.  I think it's one of the top 5 covers in the series, but it was too far out of my price range to consider bidding.  

I see at least 15 other covers, if not more, out of the first 70 issues of the run (I stopped reading it after that) that I'd rather have.  Which I guess makes the $21K price even more remarkable. 

7 hours ago, delekkerste said:

I see at least 15 other covers, if not more, out of the first 70 issues of the run (I stopped reading it after that) that I'd rather have.  Which I guess makes the $21K price even more remarkable. 

I never thought to rank them, but to me the cover is dynamic and action packed, which is what I want in a GIJoe cover (and most covers for that matter). Also, GI Joe covers rarely hit the market. Considering how popular GIJoe was back in the 80's, those kids are now in their 40's. You love to talk about nostalgia driven pricing so this should be a no brainer. High demand, low supply! Plus Zeck has quite a following which adds to the demand.

I agree, 20k Doesn’t seem out of hand for any memorable cover these days .   I haven’t watched this market but if they’ve been lower previously I wouldn’t be shocked if they stay here, plus or minus.

what are starting to look cheap is EC covers.   Still 30-40k which is not much more than this.   Yet I can’t bring myself to buy one, as much as I generally like EC and have read most if not all of them.   

Edited by Bronty

https://comics.ha.com/itm/memorabilia/miscellaneous/dave-cockrum-giant-size-x-men-1-splash-page-1-all-stat-production-page-marvel-1975-/a/7229-94143.s?ic2=mybidspage-lotlinks-12202013&tab=MyBids-101116

:ohnoez: