• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

May Heritage Auction Really Shaping Up!
3 3

405 posts in this topic

9 hours ago, delekkerste said:

I see at least 15 other covers, if not more, out of the first 70 issues of the run (I stopped reading it after that) that I'd rather have.  Which I guess makes the $21K price even more remarkable. 

Funny, I stopped reading around issue 70 myself.  This cover has a pretty dynamic battle scene, and I always loved the water moccasin as a kid so this cover has always been one of my personal favorites.  

1 hour ago, Timely said:

I never thought to rank them, but to me the cover is dynamic and action packed, which is what I want in a GIJoe cover (and most covers for that matter). Also, GI Joe covers rarely hit the market. Considering how popular GIJoe was back in the 80's, those kids are now in their 40's. You love to talk about nostalgia driven pricing so this should be a no brainer. High demand, low supply! Plus Zeck has quite a following which adds to the demand.

Well put.  The Joe run from #10 - #40 or so is my sweet spot for nostalgia (#10 being the 1st comic I remember pulling off the shelf and buying), so I'd love to get a cover from that era some day.  

55 minutes ago, Mickey7 said:

Well put.  The Joe run from #10 - #40 or so is my sweet spot for nostalgia (#10 being the 1st comic I remember pulling off the shelf and buying), so I'd love to get a cover from that era some day.  

It’s nice to hear from all you guys in 2020. I remember hanging out at my local comic shop and monthly hearing about G I Joe this and that.

I thought who the he’ll cares? My head wrapped around super hero and horror comics. I knew nothing about G I Joe other then he was an action hero action figure that guys liked to collect.

I get it now and tip my cap. I love the enthusiasm with which you all are describing for this art and other examples. 

13 hours ago, comix4fun said:

It's rare that anything goes below actual retail in these auctions. Most of the good quality items are going for full retail or well beyond it. I completely understand not wanting to sink 45 or 50 to work to get 60. If it's a collector that got it then he got what he wanted at a price he'd never see in a million years from a dealer. 

This story happened to go for 30% off. Whomever bought it, maybe a dealer maybe not, got a nice bargain compared to market because of perceived over-supply. That's hard to pass up for SA art royalty like Anderson and how sweet so many of the pages in this story were. This was probably the smartest "today" purchase of the auction compared to full value. I think in a few years, when Anderson's estate dump is fully absorbed, it will look even smarter for the buyer today. 

I remember the couple of years after Tony Christopher's Kirbys hit the market, flat as a road trip through the midwest, but I would have been a smarter man if I would've taken advantage at the time. 

Could it be that there's a discount due to the size of the board being larger than the art itself?  There have been a few stories, including the Spectre ones, where while LA, the art itself is only 2/3rds of the oversized art board.  This makes for an odd display in an Itoya let alone if you wanted to frame a splash or page.  Would you trim the bottom third of white space off?  I think this dilemna has affected the prices on all of these pieces.

Edited by dem1138

16 hours ago, batman_fan said:

So what are peoples thoughts?  I saw maybe a little softness but not much.  Some actually strong prices on a lot of stuff.

My thought was that rumors of the death of the economy have been greatly exaggerated.

I was pleasantly surprised by the numbers Adventures of Superman 501 brought in (26k), especially since it's a 90's Superboy cover. (Albeit extremely memorable...)  I think this is the highest a Reign of Supermen cover has sold for by a mile. 

Edited by Khazano

16 minutes ago, dem1138 said:

Could it be that there's a discount due to the size of the board being larger than the art itself?  There have been a few stories, including the Spectre ones, where while LA, the art itself is only 2/3rds of the oversized art board.  This makes for an odd display in an Itoya let alone if you wanted to frame a splash or page.  Would you trim the bottom third of white space off?  I think this dilemna has affected the prices on all of these pieces.

I considered that, but the image space of the art is still 10x15....same as all modern art on 11x17 boards. So it's not undersized art, which I think would impact the valuation. Murphy Anderson was famous for sticking to 2X sized boards longer than most to get that fine line detail. So there are lots of larger than expected pieces for the era they were produced, and perhaps these were "transition" era where Murphy relented to working the 10x15 art area everyone else was not working, but was burning through his stock of larger art boards. 

I can see people not wanting to pay 2x money for 1x art, but I have my doubts if an extra 3 inches of white space led to such a discount. 

8 minutes ago, comix4fun said:

I considered that, but the image space of the art is still 10x15....same as all modern art on 11x17 boards. So it's not undersized art, which I think would impact the valuation. Murphy Anderson was famous for sticking to 2X sized boards longer than most to get that fine line detail. So there are lots of larger than expected pieces for the era they were produced, and perhaps these were "transition" era where Murphy relented to working the 10x15 art area everyone else was not working, but was burning through his stock of larger art boards. 

I can see people not wanting to pay 2x money for 1x art, but I have my doubts if an extra 3 inches of white space led to such a discount. 

lf.jpeg.e29a9114c31f43d12d739578c6d55fe9.jpeg

1 minute ago, dem1138 said:

lf.jpeg.e29a9114c31f43d12d739578c6d55fe9.jpeg

Yeah, doesn't bother me.  Image area 10x15. Murphy Anderson splash page.

It's one of those things that come with the territory: Extra white space. Cut Corners. Vellum affixed to board. Pieces cut and pasted in from the back. Repositioned artwork. 

I can't imagine anyone with the means and time in the hobby to be comfortable enough to make the move to get art of this quality is dissuaded from the artwork because of that.

It would have to be some serious flaw to the artwork itself for me to chop the value down, not simply extra white space. 

49 minutes ago, comix4fun said:

Yeah, doesn't bother me.  Image area 10x15. Murphy Anderson splash page.

It's one of those things that come with the territory: Extra white space. Cut Corners. Vellum affixed to board. Pieces cut and pasted in from the back. Repositioned artwork. 

I can't imagine anyone with the means and time in the hobby to be comfortable enough to make the move to get art of this quality is dissuaded from the artwork because of that.

It would have to be some serious flaw to the artwork itself for me to chop the value down, not simply extra white space. 

the extra white didn't bother me at all.  the image was awesome on that splash.

4 minutes ago, Foolkiller said:

the extra white didn't bother me at all.  the image was awesome on that splash.

That image is a good one. 

There was a battle page or two in the middle that really knocked my socks off. Some of the best Anderson Hawkman panel pages I've seen. 

I know it is not quite over yet but didn't see any real weakness - quite impressive given the situation, that said the stock market is also holding up better than I'd expect so perhaps things will change if the stock market takes another whack (buy a put if you are a betting person)

Edited by mtlevy1

1 hour ago, batman_fan said:

The one page I really liked in todays auction was this one.  Non-Spiderman panel page but it is from Spiderman 78, my favorite issue (and not just because it was done by a Buscema).

I just couldn't see paying over $5k for it.

Screen Shot 2020-05-02 at 12.06.39 PM.png

That is a great page.  Gwen looks ever so slightly different from Romita's, but then Romita himself had an evolving take on her.   She was always gorgeous but if you look at Gorgeous Gwen in ASM 47 you will see a much different Gorgeous Gwen than in ASM 84 (which also had a page for sale in this auction)

Yeah, didn't see any soft prices at all.  I was aiming for the Zeck Batman.  It doesn't scream Zeck due to Ordway's inks but it was still a Zeck Batman cover.  I thought I had a shot since it was sitting at 1K before the live auction but it went for more than what I would pay.

Malvin

17 minutes ago, malvin said:

Yeah, didn't see any soft prices at all.  I was aiming for the Zeck Batman.  It doesn't scream Zeck due to Ordway's inks but it was still a Zeck Batman cover.  I thought I had a shot since it was sitting at 1K before the live auction but it went for more than what I would pay.

Malvin

Ditto