• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

May Heritage Auction Really Shaping Up!
3 3

405 posts in this topic

42 minutes ago, Real Elijah Snow said:

Over the moon to have won this. I never thought I would have an X-Men pg from Lee's first issue, but here it is. I bid on the other 2, but came in 2nd. Reeeeaaaaly wanted that 277 page, but I'm happy with the 248 pg at the price.  

Screenshot_20200502-182833_Gallery.jpg

Congrats!! I was the under-bidder on this and have been kicking myself all day for not pushing further lol.. Great Get

2 minutes ago, Unstoppablejayd said:

Congrats!! I was the under-bidder on this and have been kicking myself all day for not pushing further lol.. Great Get

Thanks!! 

Did you bid on the others? I was shocked that the 277 went over 10. I thought for sure 10 would get it. I had to stop though, and having gotten this one allowed me to do it. It was tough though. I had the fever bad..

52 minutes ago, Real Elijah Snow said:

Over the moon to have won this. I never thought I would have an X-Men pg from Lee's first issue, but here it is. I bid on the other 2, but came in 2nd. Reeeeaaaaly wanted that 277 page, but I'm happy with the 248 pg at the price.  

Oops, I left my original post below, but I was actually talking about the 276 page. That's the issue I picked up a page from.

Original post:

Great pick-up! I was surprised that the 277 page went quite as high as it did. Although, on the plus side it, made me feel a bit better about how much I paid for a 277 page a little while back. :)

Mike

Edited by MGS

6 minutes ago, Real Elijah Snow said:

Thanks!! 

Did you bid on the others? I was shocked that the 277 went over 10. I thought for sure 10 would get it. I had to stop though, and having gotten this one allowed me to do it. It was tough though. I had the fever bad..

I did not.. the 248 I thought was the best of the three even with the fading ink.. so when I saw them run for more then the one you got I stayed on the sidelines. For once I was disciplined on how far I would go and stuck to it.. regretted it almost instantly lol. enjoy, but if you ever decide to sell feel free to let me know. :baiting:

38 minutes ago, MGS said:

Oops, I left my original post below, but I was actually talking about the 276 page. That's the issue I picked up a page from.

Original post:

Great pick-up! I was surprised that the 277 page went quite as high as it did. Although, on the plus side it, made me feel a bit better about how much I paid for a 277 page a little while back. :)

Mike

Thank you! Post the 276 pg if handy..

10 hours ago, drdroom said:

Any Caniff guys still on here? Early Terry daily, possible Sickles involvement, but no action and no gals goes for 4560? What am I missing?

https://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/comic-strip-art/milton-caniff-terry-and-the-pirates-daily-comic-strip-original-art-dated-12-31-35-chicago-tribune-/a/7229-95047.s

This shocked me too.  I was already surprised that the price was so strong at the end of internet bidding that I never even needed to put in a "defensive" bid, and certainly didn't expect the price to go up even more during the living bidding phase.

The brushwork is fabulous, but no more fabulous than many of Caniff's other strips from that period, and like you said, no action and no gals.

8 hours ago, batman_fan said:

The one page I really liked in todays auction was this one.  Non-Spiderman panel page but it is from Spiderman 78, my favorite issue (and not just because it was done by a Buscema).

I just couldn't see paying over $5k for it.

Screen Shot 2020-05-02 at 12.06.39 PM.png

I should've bid on this.  What would fit better in my collection than panel after panel of Mopey Parker?

The only thing I can think of would be panel after panel of Silver Surfer whining about his beloved Shalla Bal.

Just now, tth2 said:

I should've bid on this.  What would fit better in my collection than panel after panel of Mopey Parker?

The only thing I can think of would be panel after panel of Silver Surfer whining about his beloved Shalla Bal.

Sometime I don't know you at all !:insane:

5 hours ago, Real Elijah Snow said:

Screenshot_20200502-182833_Gallery.jpg

I sold that years ago and thought I did well...that price lets me know I shoulda held on a wee bit longer lol. I got it signed by Chris at Motor city years ago (his first show I saw him charging to sign, like 15 I think). It was almost signed by Dan Green too but he just never showed up, really pissed me off too. Congrats, just a superior page.

Edited by zhamlau

On 5/2/2020 at 1:05 AM, delekkerste said:

I see at least 15 other covers, if not more, out of the first 70 issues of the run (I stopped reading it after that) that I'd rather have.  Which I guess makes the $21K price even more remarkable. 

That was me that won the #25 cover. It’s the first appearance of Zartan!  It has Cobra Commander, The Dragonfly and The Water Moccasin. It’s also Zeck’s 2nd GI Joe cover. It checked all the boxes for me.

I have been trying to find a nice Zeck Marvel Joe cover for years!  There may be nicer covers made but they are never for sale. Especially Zeck covers. Hell I like #24 better but the owner will never part with it. Chuck Costas also has many Zeck covers but won’t sell any of the real good ones.

3 hours ago, zhamlau said:

I sold that years ago and thought I did well...that price lets me know I shoulda held on a wee bit longer lol. I got it signed by Chris at Motor city years ago (his first show I saw him charging to sign, like 15 I think). It was almost signed by Dan Green too but he just never showed up, really pissed me off too. Congrats, just a superior page.

I'm glad you sold it! :) 

8 hours ago, zhamlau said:

Chris charged $5 per sig at that show

7 hours ago, wolvergeek said:

That was me that won the #25 cover. It’s the first appearance of Zartan!  It has Cobra Commander, The Dragonfly and The Water Moccasin. It’s also Zeck’s 2nd GI Joe cover. It checked all the boxes for me.

I have been trying to find a nice Zeck Marvel Joe cover for years!  There may be nicer covers made but they are never for sale. Especially Zeck covers. Hell I like #24 better but the owner will never part with it. Chuck Costas also has many Zeck covers but won’t sell any of the real good ones.

The first comics I ever had as a kid was a 3-pack of GI Joe #21-23 I got from my mom as a birthday gift from Toys R Us. When we got home I asked her if I could get a subscription and she actually agreed! Since #24 was already out, the first comic I got was #25. 

Congrats on getting it. I hated seeing it pass me by but it sounds like you'll really love it too!