• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

May Heritage Auction Really Shaping Up!
3 3

405 posts in this topic

On 5/3/2020 at 1:18 AM, wolvergeek said:

That was me that won the #25 cover. It’s the first appearance of Zartan!  It has Cobra Commander, The Dragonfly and The Water Moccasin. It’s also Zeck’s 2nd GI Joe cover. It checked all the boxes for me.

I have been trying to find a nice Zeck Marvel Joe cover for years!  There may be nicer covers made but they are never for sale. Especially Zeck covers. Hell I like #24 better but the owner will never part with it. Chuck Costas also has many Zeck covers but won’t sell any of the real good ones.

Congrats, Paul! 

#25 is not my favorite, but, it's still a very nice cover (especially for Zartan fans) and, it's still in the top quartile of covers IMO.  I can totally see why you and West and others were interested.  

3 hours ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

I regret not bidding more on the Wood Astonishing Tales splash.  Based on recent sales of Woody's panel pages from the previous issue, I thought this one would end north of $30K, but it hammered at $21.6K.  Possibly the best purchase of Platinum day?

Wood.jpg

I really liked that piece - I don't know a ton about Wally Wood, but years ago someone who was way more versed in his output said it was unclear how much Wood did in his Doom stories and how much was Larry Hama.  I don't know if that's still unclear or got sorted out, or if that has any reflection on the price.  You probably know more than I do about it.

Edited by glendgold

4 hours ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

I regret not bidding more on the Wood Astonishing Tales splash.  Based on recent sales of Woody's panel pages from the previous issue, I thought this one would end north of $30K, but it hammered at $21.6K.  Possibly the best purchase of Platinum day?

Wood.jpg

I think its really nice (wood, big stand alone doom image) and really unremarkable (post peak rendering, for sure, and boring backgrounds) all at once.    Kind of a tough one to handicap as the bidders might like the pros, or might stay away because of the cons.

Edited by Bronty

14 minutes ago, glendgold said:

I really liked that piece - I don't know a ton about Wally Wood, but years ago someone who was way more versed in his output said it was unclear how much Wood did in his Doom stories and how much was Larry Hama.  I don't know if that's still unclear or got sorted out, or if that has any reflection on the price.  You probably know more than I do about it.

Per Larry:

Larry Hama's Notes: 
· * I wasn't the penciler on the Wally Wood Dr. Doom stuff. I hardly did any penciling for Woody at all. What we Wood Assistants did was 'swipograph', that is trace Alex Raymond heads on the opaque projector. Once Woody inked them, they were his