• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Thoughts on Stocks and Coronavirus and Comics
4 4

491 posts in this topic

I would say that if you're bold enough to go to cons in this environment, and lucky enough to see vendors there with stuff you like, then NOW is the time to LOWBALL THEM (assuming you don't need the cash for other stuff) for stuff you want.

As for investments in stocks, assuming you don't believe our country or our world will be irrevocably changed, you should try to identify some industries or some companies whose stocks have dropped precipitously that will probably at some point go back up (of course you should factor in more dropping first maybe).  This assumes you can invest for the semi-long to long term.

3 hours ago, newshane said:

I am in the stock market for the next 20 years. It is time to BUY BUY BUY.

Taking your money out right now Is a rookie mistake, unless you plan to retire in the next 4 years. 

I’ve never treated comics like an investment vehicle, so I have no comment there.

I sent double my usual monthly contributions this month, even shorting my estimated tax payment in order to do so.

Don't know how this will effect (affect?) the Chinese saving (and/or pushing prices even higher on key books) in the comic collecting market as has been discussed in the AF15 threads a number of years ago. I miss you Subby1932. Please come back. 

Edited by NoMan

4 hours ago, newshane said:

I am in the stock market for the next 20 years. It is time to BUY BUY BUY.

+1 The dip was the needed impetus, the elastic rebound, for the market to do what it had been hinting at doing and flirting with for the past year. Breaking through the 30,000 barrier on the way to what seems to be the unattainable 40,000 barrier, which it could do by the end of 2020, if factors conducive towards it doing so continue throughout the year, including this cold/panic epidemic subsiding, which IMO is a distraction and only so much white noise. From what I can see, the future looks hunky-dory. Of the comic hobby and the stock market. Don't be hoodwinked by the incessant saturation of fear that bombards us all daily, coming at us from every direction. Learn to see through it. Use the force.

2 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

including this cold/panic epidemic subsiding, which IMO is a distraction and only so much white noise. 

You may be changing your tune as this thing spreads.  It's already having many real world impacts on the world economy.  Hard to call it white noise when you can no longer catch a flight on a U.S. airline to China, and the entire West Coast has cases on the rise.  Colleges are cancelling their study abroad programs in Italy (my niece just got aced out of a term in Sienna).  For most, it will be "just a cold," but for a not insignificant amount - especially amongst the older set - it will take its toll.  And that will cause a change in customer behaviour.  Businesses which are amongst the most likely to feel the impact include the film companies (sorry Disney/Marvel/Warner comic book movies), the NBA, and other businesses that brings large groups of people together in doors (such as comic conventions).  Good stock to buy now?  How about Netflix, which brings entertainment into your home with no need to venture into a crowded theatre.  

3 minutes ago, sfcityduck said:
17 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

including this cold/panic epidemic subsiding, which IMO is a distraction and only so much white noise. 

You may be changing your tune as this thing spreads.  It's already having many real world impacts on the world economy.  Hard to call it white noise when you can no longer catch a flight on a U.S. airline to China, and the entire West Coast has cases on the rise.  Colleges are cancelling their study abroad programs in Italy (my niece just got aced out of a term in Sienna).  For most, it will be "just a cold," but for a not insignificant amount - especially amongst the older set - it will take its toll.  And that will cause a change in customer behaviour.  Businesses which are amongst the most likely to feel the impact include the film companies (sorry Disney/Marvel/Warner comic book movies), the NBA, and other businesses that brings large groups of people together in doors (such as comic conventions).  Good stock to buy now?  How about Netflix, which brings entertainment into your home with no need to venture into a crowded theatre.  

I'd wait for airlines to drop a bit more then purchase, knowing they'll eventually come back and/or be bailed out.

1 minute ago, thunsicker said:

My daughter is worried about them cancelling her fall term in Madrid.  

Some colleges (NYU, Syracuse, etc.) cancelled their Italy programs at World Health Organisation threat rating of 2 (alert level) others, including Oregon where my niece is, waited until the WHO upped the threat level in Italy to 3 (warning level) which it did on Friday.  

Spain is a level 1 (watch level) right now, just like the U.S.

6 minutes ago, thunsicker said:

my daughter has friends she knows being sent back from Italy mid semester, probably s.o.l. for everything. She wonders if they will be quarantined when they get back

24 minutes ago, mattn792 said:

For what it’s worth, I came down with the flu after C2E2.  At least it waited till today to hit though. 

Man I dont know whether to like your post or sad face, hope you feel better! I got over the crud, but still cough up once in while. I dont know the symptoms of this new whatchamacallit, but I had it well before the news. Con in 4 weeks :wishluck:

Glad you had fun :tink:

50 minutes ago, sfcityduck said:

especially amongst the older set - it will take its toll. 

This right here is the crux of the matter. People of a certain age and physical condition have the potential to be fatally harmed by something that people not of that certain age and not with that same physical condition will even be phased by.   A cold can kill some that are already in a weakened or compromised state. For those unfortunate ones, It's a deadly corona virus.

46 minutes ago, sfcityduck said:
50 minutes ago, thunsicker said:

Some colleges (NYU, Syracuse, etc.) cancelled their Italy programs at World Health Organisation threat rating of 2 (alert level) others, including Oregon where my niece is, waited until the WHO upped the threat level in Italy to 3 (warning level) which it did on Friday.  

Spain is a level 1 (watch level) right now, just like the U.S.

Yeah, at this point they just said to watch in case they cancel it.  And they were pretty cool about it, saying they will refund all money and even cover some costs associated with it if they do cancel it.