• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Thoughts on Stocks and Coronavirus and Comics
4 4

491 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, paperheart said:

well, you said otherwise yesterday. strike 1.

Otherwise what? Here's my direct quote, copied and pasted without edit:

"+1 The dip was the needed impetus, the elastic rebound, for the market to do what it had been hinting at doing and flirting with for the past year. Breaking through the 30,000 barrier on the way to what seems to be the unattainable 40,000 barrier, which it could do by the end of 2020, if factors conducive towards it doing so continue throughout the year, including this cold/panic epidemic subsiding, which IMO is a distraction and only so much white noise. From what I can see, the future looks hunky-dory. Of the comic hobby and the stock market. Don't be hoodwinked by the incessant saturation of fear that bombards us all daily, coming at us from every direction. Learn to see through it. Use the force. " 

I don't see the word "otherwise" anywhere within the complete, unabridged copy and paste. I also don't see anything about predicting that the stock market will hit 40K in a few minutes, a few hours, a few days, or next week. The end of 2020 is mentioned and the word otherwise is not, nor has anything been edited in or out.

1 minute ago, paperheart said:

how about quoting the correct post? :idea:

I didn't think you were jumping the gun and referring to a post that mentioned the week being over. Is it? Did I wake up on Saturday, and somehow missed today and Wed. through Friday?

Again, no mention of the word "otherwise", and one day is not a week. Or is it?

Just now, James J Johnson said:

I didn't think you were jumping the gun and referring to a post that mentioned the week being over. Is it? Did I wake up on Saturday, and somehow missed today and Wed. through Friday?

Again, no mention of the word "otherwise", and one day is not a week. Or is it?

Posted yesterday: "And rebound! Which will continue tomorrow." - do you need a definition of tomorrow? Or is down 800 considered a rebound?

1 hour ago, paperheart said:

Posted yesterday: "And rebound! Which will continue tomorrow." - do you need a definition of tomorrow? Or is down 800 considered a rebound?

It most certainly is if you are shorting!!!  (:

2 hours ago, paperheart said:

Yes. Up and down is part of any rebound. "Rebound will continue tomorrow" as in another day in what will be an overall upward trend. A recovery from a 4000 point drop! You think I meant each and every day the dollar price of the index will rise? Today, $26,000, tomorrow $27,000, the next day $28,000, etc., etc., etc.? Without any steps forward and back? I didn't state that the market will rise X amount of dollars tomorrow. I stated that the rebound will continue. A step forward, a step back, two steps forward, one step back will continue. Up $1000 one day, down $500 the next, maybe down $50 the next and then up $400 the next and then another day up $500. .A rebound will continue meaning that it will recover all that it's lost.

Edited by James J Johnson

51 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

Yes. Up and down is part of any rebound. "Rebound will continue tomorrow" as in another day in what will be an overall upward trend. A recovery from a 4000 point drop! You think I meant each and every day the dollar price of the index will rise? Today, $26,000, tomorrow $27,000, the next day $28,000, etc., etc., etc.? Without any steps forward and back? I didn't state that the market will rise X amount of dollars tomorrow. I stated that the rebound will continue. A step forward, a step back, two steps forward, one step back will continue. Up $1000 one day, down $500 the next, maybe down $50 the next and then up $400 the next and then another day up $500. .A rebound will continue meaning that it will recover all that it's lost.

image.png.742be49b3319ba33daf5df48a56bdf86.png

21 hours ago, wilbil said:

I know this was well meaning, but it is not fact. It has not jumped back and can't. what can happen is an infected person holding a dog, and then the dog getting tested could show a possibly weak positive. just like touching an inanimate object, an elevator a door knob a counter top, etc., the virus can survive for a while and if a person touches that object it is possible to contract the virus. that is quite different than we are all going to die because pets can catch the virus and kill us. this is the 3rd. time today I have heard a person state that a dog got the virus. no. it did not. it can't. it has not a thing to do with a mutation and jumping species. it is because the infected person touched the dog and left the virus on the dog.

they haven't confirmed that yet but it was a weak positive but I remember reading about a dog in California infected with the virus as well. The case I know your talking about is in China and they found it on the nose and mouth of the dog and believe it was passed by the human to the animal and its a weak positive they haven't concluded if its infected they need to do a blood test.. I guess we will see the dog is in quarantine anyways currently.

6 minutes ago, Krismusic said:

they haven't confirmed that yet but it was a weak positive but I remember reading about a dog in California infected with the virus as well. The case I know your talking about is in China and they found it on the nose and mouth of the dog and believe it was passed by the human to the animal and its a weak positive they haven't concluded if its infected they need to do a blood test.. I guess we will see the dog is in quarantine anyways currently.

it is the same for 2 other dogs being tested in the u.s.

I am waiting for the miniature comfort horse to be quarantined from an airplane flight. that will take some explaining. i am sure when it happens it will be somebody from california, around hollywood.

I posted this in the other COVID-19 unofficial thread.. 

but has anyone seen Contagion (2011) if you haven't go watch it, not very good I found it a bit boring but wow its very similar, if not right on the nose with what is currently happening. Also a note I watched this movie in 2011 thinking I hope this never happens in real life.. :fear:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1598778/plotsummary

Edited by Krismusic

8 hours ago, Larryw7 said:

I have a compromised immune system, so I think I'm going to hide in my house until this thing gets sorted out.

It is most deadly to the elderly and the immuno compromised. But then again, it could mutate worse and be deadly for everyone.

Stocks, Coronavirus & Comics....

Not until a vaccine is created that is 100% effective will the stock market's ups/downs subside. CDC have said it may take 12-18 months; I hope sooner. A market correction is always par for the course but this virus may have thrown a wrench into what is the norm. Markets don't like the unpredictable or false hopes. I do hope this "event" in our modern times is globally contained & eradicated. In the meantime people should decide on what is best for themselves, their company, co-workers, community, etc. This takes me to comics where we are seeing folks withdrawing from conventions such as Emerald City Comic Con which is still going ahead as planned, but DC and Dark Horse have already withdrawn.

Life goes on. People just have to decide for themselves what they're comfortable with in terms of venturing out. It will be interesting to see how the comic industry reacts as we go well into con season in a few months.

21 hours ago, Mercury Man said:

Are we sure about this.  Since it is a novel virus, have we even seen it year round yet?  We have only seen it spread among people since December 2019.  

Well, while North America is thawing from winter and heading to spring, Australia (39 cases as of today) is in the midst of its summer season but is heading towards fall soon. Unless we get a vaccine and/or contain this virus in North America soon, it has a global reach and like any flu virus it is just going to come back to North America this fall/winter.

35 minutes ago, comixry said:

Just got CGC's email. Looks like they just withdrew from Seattle's Emerald City Comic Con....

On Twitter, creators are announcing their own withdrawals from cons. Dark Horse is also out, along with another publisher. I expect ECCC will either cancel or postpone.

Hmmm, wonder how Chuck at Mile High is going to spin this to his benefit? <<Considering how he has dealt with past national disasters (Hurricane Sandy was it?), I couldn't resist bringing him into the conversation.>>