• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Thoughts on Stocks and Coronavirus and Comics
4 4

491 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, comixry said:

Just got CGC's email. Looks like they just withdrew from Seattle's Emerald City Comic Con....

I love the way they cancelled going to Seattle but went to Chicago where 10x more people get killed in a week.  I respect the desire to be safe but its worrisome that people will cancel an event out of fear - I've got serious doubt about the Olympics this summer.

5 hours ago, Krismusic said:

I posted this in the other COVID-19 unofficial thread.. 

but has anyone seen Contagion (2011) if you haven't go watch it, not very good I found it a bit boring but wow its very similar, if not right on the nose with what is currently happening. Also a note I watched this movie in 2011 thinking I hope this never happens in real life.. :fear:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1598778/plotsummary

I prefer the movie Quarantine lol

3 hours ago, 1Cool said:

I love the way they cancelled going to Seattle but went to Chicago where 10x more people get killed in a week.  I respect the desire to be safe but its worrisome that people will cancel an event out of fear - I've got serious doubt about the Olympics this summer.

Well, from all of these cancellations which I am seeing down below, it almost gives you the impression that the Emerald City Con must have been scheduled right at the Life Care Center Nursing Home in Kirkland, Washington where virtually all of the Covid-19 cases actually are:  :sick:

https://www.notion.so/9d49bba6f99a455db7693951aeae99fc?v=6600f3b6457d4cf083ff6b20b0796140

5 hours ago, comixry said:

Just got CGC's email. Looks like they just withdrew from Seattle's Emerald City Comic Con....

And this is the behavior that I was suggesting was likely in my first post on this thread.  It's not the stock market that is going to impact the comic market.  If anything does, it will be the coronavirus itself.  

Edited by sfcityduck

7 minutes ago, comixry said:

What about the 1995 film "Outbreak" where the camera pans through a hospital's air ducts and stops at Dustin Hoffman's character in a haz-mat suit who goes: "....airborne!"

I need to watch that one. Haven’t yet had the pleasure 

2 hours ago, sfcityduck said:

And this is the behavior that I was suggesting was likely in my first post on this thread.  It's not the stock market that is going to impact the comic market.  If anything does, it will be the coronavirus itself.  

No, not really the stock market or even the coronavirus itself, but much more the fear mongering and the public's overreaction to it due to the media blowing the whole thing out of proportion with their ongoing real time body count.  hm

Edited by lou_fine

14 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

No, not really the stock market or even the coronavirus itself, but much more the fear mongering and the public's overreaction to it due to the media blowing the whole thing out of proportion with their ongoing real time body count.  hm

The convention that was supposed to follow C2E2 at McCormick Place cancelled the whole event yesterday.  The short term hysteria is going strong.

I may have come away with the flu, but I wouldn’t change my con attendance pattern based on one isolated illness.  I still got a stack of great books, work told me to stay away till I’m better, and I’ve spent a bunch of quality time with my Siberian heating pad.

7569B849-272B-4EB1-8F0E-C0FCD50ECFB5.jpeg

11 hours ago, 1Cool said:

Chicago gets this much undeserved reputation all the time.  While Chicago has a higher violent crime rate that Seattle (but nothing like 10x higher. ) , you are actually much more likely to be the victim of a crime in Seattle. The FBI publishes crime rate statistics annually. A couple of different websites summarize them nicely. I find neighborhood scout very easy to use. 

Chicago is at 7%. Safer than 7% of US cities.  Seattle is at 2%. Safer than 2% of US cities. 

https://www.neighborhoodscout.com/wa/seattle/crime

https://www.neighborhoodscout.com/il/chicago/crime

4 hours ago, lou_fine said:

I believe it remains to be seen if the public is over reacting to it.  And the news media is supposed to report things like this. 

Right now, it's not the total number of cases that is alarming. It's the mortality rate. It's tempting to say "people in rural China probably don't have good health care".  But in Italy - which does have first world, modern health care 29 people have died with 1100 confirmed cases. That more than a 2.5% mortality rate.  Versus the flu where the mortality rate is about 14 people out of ever y100,000 cases. We are talking about a mortality rate that might be 100X more higer than the flu. 

Put in perspective. - 2.5% is relatively small. But if there was a 2.5% chance of your commercial airline flight crashing, NO ONE would fly commercial. Everyone - including the pilots and attendants - would find some other job or another  way to get where they were going. If there was a 2.5% chance that getting a dental filling would kill you, you'd live with a cavity or get the tooth pulled.  So yes, this is potentially alarming. 

Now it's possible - even likely - that the mortality rate is artificially high. Some people - but we don't know how many or what percentage - have mild symptoms from  coronavirus and never seek medical attention, never go to the doctor. 

So getting to the point - I believe CGC made the right call in skipping sending staff to a huge event where it's likely infected individuals are attending and spreading the virus. An overabundance of caution is better than regret. 

6 minutes ago, Tony S said:

Right now, it's not the total number of cases that is alarming. It's the mortality rate. It's tempting to say "people in rural China probably don't have good health care".  But in Italy - which does have first world, modern health care 29 people have died with 1100 confirmed cases. That more than a 2.5% mortality rate.  Versus the flu where the mortality rate is about 14 people out of ever y100,000 cases. We are talking about a mortality rate that might be 100X more higer than the flu. 

And yet with the low flu mortality rate, the United States alone on its own had something like 61,000 regular seasonal flu associated deaths during the 2018/19 flu season year.  :fear:

Definitely has to be put into perspective because although SARS had a global mortality rate of 9.6%, there were zero deaths in the United States from SARS.  hm   (thumbsu

9 hours ago, comixry said:

What about the 1995 film "Outbreak" where the camera pans through a hospital's air ducts and stops at Dustin Hoffman's character in a haz-mat suit who goes: "....airborne!"

HA! On the American Airlines flight I took out to the '95 San Diego Comic-Con, this was the in-flight movie they were showing. I thought it was a rather odd choice to show on an airline, where they usually try and provide "feel good" movies.

There's a similar scene in the movie, where a guy starts coughing in a crowded movie theatre and the camera shows what is suppose to be the movement of the virus. A little while later, a person on the flight started one of those coughs where probably a peanut went down the wrong pipe. Sitting in the back of the plane and observing the faces of some of the other passengers was priceless!

The movie on return flight back was "Casper".

4 hours ago, lou_fine said:

And yet with the low flu mortality rate, the United States alone on its own had something like 61,000 regular seasonal flu associated deaths during the 2018/19 flu season year.  :fear:

Definitely has to be put into perspective because although SARS had a global mortality rate of 9.6%, there were zero deaths in the United States from SARS.  hm   (thumbsu

The World Health Organization has the mortality rate now at approximately 3.5%. The mortality rate jumps for those in the 60 and above age range and among those with pre-existing medical conditions. The fact that children aren’t susceptible has kept the mortality rate down. The governor of my state was given emergency powers by the state legislature to even declare “martial law” if necessary to deal with this. He wouldn’t have gotten such power if this was an ordinary flu. Keep in mind that there’s still much we don’t know about this disease in terms of how it will mutate and whether transmission in warmer weather will be impacted. Very important to watch whether the transmission of this virus is effected by the tropical weather in the Southern Hemisphere. This may provide an idea as to whether warmer weather coming with Spring will have any impact on slowing transmission in the Northern Hemisphere. Warmer weather can help reduce the speed of transmission as a friend who studies infectious diseases told me- it helps because more people are outdoors.

22 minutes ago, bronze johnny said:

children aren’t susceptible has kept the mortality rate down

and the fact that the majority of people have not been tested and multiples of the CDC numbers, which at this time are based only on what is known, is possible, probable and likely.

25 minutes ago, bronze johnny said:

if this was an ordinary flu

it is not any type of flu, which is the problem because there is not a vaccine at this time, which logically accounts for the legislative powers granted, as they should be.

Just wondering if it has been disproven that corona virus can be spread via polyethylene bags?  Through the mail? :cool: 

35 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

Just wondering if it has been disproven that corona virus can be spread via polyethylene bags?  Through the mail? :cool: 

It's certainly possible. So far what I've read says some corona viruses can live a few days on a surface.  It's not known if this strand can.  And there is no reason a polybag couldn't harbor the virus if say an infected individual sneezed near a comic in a poly bag and some droplets landed on such.