• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Thoughts on Stocks and Coronavirus and Comics
4 4

491 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, Lorne Malvo said:

Luckily I have boxes and boxes of useless baseball cards from the late 80s and 90s which is commonly referred as "hard toilet paper". Mmm, can't wait to try it.

The great thing with x force 1 is that it also came w a bag to contain the tainted paper. Would work wonders in supermarkets nowadays as well 

29 minutes ago, dupont2005 said:

Me and my fiancé decided to delay our honeymoon because of coronavirus. It’s a bummer for sure but we would have had to book now and there’s no telling what things will be like in a few months. 

Condolences!  My in-laws had to cancel a late March vacation to Italy (which United waived change fees for) and my niece lost out on a term abroad to Sienna.  

Many employers are now banning air travel by their employees.  

As I said in the first post, it is the virus which is going to impact our lives and comic collecting, not the stock market.

San Francisco now has multiple cases of community spread coronavirus.  San Diego has found coronavirus in a retail store worker.  

Going to be very interesting to see how this plays out and the impact it has on comic conventions and dealers.

51 minutes ago, sfcityduck said:

San Francisco now has multiple cases of community spread coronavirus.  San Diego has found coronavirus in a retail store worker.  

Going to be very interesting to see how this plays out and the impact it has on comic conventions and dealers.

Also here in LA there are several cases.. One that sticks out is a airport screener who was infected after wearing the proper attire for coronavirus!? I dunno how he couldve been in contact with the virus but, he did. Who knows how many people have been in contact with his thereafter.  Also I think I heard something about a father and son with the virus who flew from some country to LAX.. who knows how many onboard the plane were infected!? Just craziness!?

Tell you what, this year’s flu didn’t come to play. I’m going on day five with it and my symptoms actually surged back for a few hours earlier this afternoon.  Maybe it’s just micropulsing, like a positive Jon Jones steroid test.

Edited by mattn792

On 3/2/2020 at 4:32 PM, James J Johnson said:

+1 The dip was the needed impetus, the elastic rebound, for the market to do what it had been hinting at doing and flirting with for the past year. Breaking through the 30,000 barrier on the way to what seems to be the unattainable 40,000 barrier, which it could do by the end of 2020, if factors conducive towards it doing so continue throughout the year, including this cold/panic epidemic subsiding, which IMO is a distraction and only so much white noise. From what I can see, the future looks hunky-dory. Of the comic hobby and the stock market. Don't be hoodwinked by the incessant saturation of fear that bombards us all daily, coming at us from every direction. Learn to see through it. Use the force.

this has aged well :roflmao:

On 3/6/2020 at 10:59 AM, sfcityduck said:

I live in San Diego!  I wont be doing anything different than I normally do every day of my life.  Wake me up when CV-19 kills more people than the flu does each year.  Lets say 100,000 USA people catch this virus......well what can you do! (shrug)

CV-19 will pass, kill off some (just like the flu) and most healthy people will go on living. Why doesn't the entire world then impose a mandatory 2-week quarantine each year to stop the spread the newest FLU?  Since that kills many thousands more.  I dont care if I get the flu or CV-19, it will pass and I will get well or I will die.  Heres my answer I say so myself If I get it:

rocky.gif.c4ab602c89ba89ad48b083ff3d54b8fc.gif

Now for the stock market, by all means be like the rest of the herd and sell.  Makes long-term investors portfolio's that much more valuable with dollar cost averaging on the free discounted stocks.  By all means liquidate and miss out! :whatev:

(my post was not directed at the boardie I quoted to be clear.)

By time Wondercon and SDCC rolls around I think the fear, panic, and spread of the virus will subdue enough and people will get back to normal every day living (even though I never stopped doing that personally).  However, with more people staying in my eBay auctions have been epic!  Maybe CV-19 isnt so bad after all.....I kid I kid!

Edited by NewWorldOrder

4 hours ago, wilbil said:

we are gathered here today to pray for the passing of badly timed opinionation......

It's early yet, isn't it? Is it over? Has the world come to an end with the market down? My prediction was for the Winter of 2020/21. March 2020 is a little early yet; by almost a year, isn't it?

44 minutes ago, etowah1123 said:

Its gonna get much worse before it gets better.  Been hearing about it in the healthcare field for a couple weeks now. Problem is gonna be we don’t have enough supplies to help the sick when we get overrun at work.  

Correct.

The concern is not whether you or I will get Coronavirus. It's whether the medical system will be able to handle an increase in infections.

In Italy professionals are being recommended to not treat the elderly and focus on the young, which have a larger chance of survival. Imagine that.

So the concern is not being able to treat everyone effectively during a pandemic.

So hopefully people start taking precautionary measures proactively. I stopped shaking hands a week ago.

More hand washings, avoiding public places if possible, being wary of touching surfaces and my face, etc.

The sooner everyone starts, the sooner we get back to normal.

14 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

I got stuck as an incidental bystander volunteer at a Red Cross Blood Drive at our Elks Lodge today.  Red Cross implemented new protocols today, apparently after a teleconference last night, that drastically changed everything.

Instead of just opening the doors for our normal greeter volunteer and the Red Cross, it rapidly became apparent that the check-in function was a massive change, and could only be handled by two people instead of the normal one (who is about 86 years of age).  Instead of passing out reading material, we had to make everyone use hand sanitizer, take their temperature, make them read the stuff, assist with computerized check-in, and then make them do rapid pass on little tablets.  Do you know who donates blood here?  A bunch of old people, really old people.  People, who don't use computers, tablets or even have smart phones - and can't see the $$*@*#% screens.  Meanwhile, the Red Cross was way overbooked with "normal workload" because of their side of the new protocols.  Long story short, we ended up turning away many donaters, including ones that were all checked in, with health screens, because there was no way the Red Cross could get to them. And I was stuck, and instead of getting home at 9 am, I got home at 230 pm.  If I'd known I was going to get stuck like that, I would have left the dog out, took a shower, and dressed appropriately - when I finally got a bathroom break, all I can say is...., I looked "rough".

Long story short, again, as far as the stock market goes, I'm looking at the appropriate time to dump a bunch of money in to the market, and to ride the upswing.

All this coronavirus BS is media-driven and a farce.

:p  End of rant.

God Bless you for standing brave and helping!  (worship)   :angel:

1 minute ago, James J Johnson said:

God Bless you for standing brave and helping!  (worship)   :angel:

Thanks - I realized that my rant was way too "me" oriented after I posted it.  I'm not frustrated with my unplanned time donated, I'm frustrated by the lack of logistical and planning ability in other people.  I've said for the past 20+ years that logistics is a lost art. However, I think today was just a bunch of random collisions, and that no one could adequately prepare for all of it.  For the most part, everyone was very understanding.

Tomorrow is day two, and I'm heading out to help again, but I will be frank with the people who show up to donate, and I will step in sooner with the Red Cross manager on site if things start going gunny-bag, and they don't react appropriately.

2 hours ago, lizards2 said:

Thanks - I realized that my rant was way too "me" oriented after I posted it. 

I don't consider it a rant. It was a nice read of importance; of a selfless, well-spent day of helping others. It was nicely told and well received. The kind of story that make you proud of your fellow forum members and to take pride in being one.  (thumbsu

Edited by James J Johnson