• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Thoughts on Stocks and Coronavirus and Comics
4 4

491 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, NewWorldOrder said:

but we are acting like this is going to kill everyone

What's happening in Italy is that because it was so contagious and so many people have entered the medical system for help, doctors are being forced to choose who to help and who not to help, and they have mandates to treat those with a better chance of survival.

That means if your mother has a smaller chance of surviving, she's left to die.

That's why there is urgency.

3 minutes ago, NewWorldOrder said:

Again I ask, 12,000 people each year die in the USA from the flu.  Why doesnt that cripple the USA economy each year and governments shut society events and gathering down on a regular basis every year? 

Because the flu is spread over several months and the medical system is generally prepared for it.

This is all happening at once, is new, is possibly more contagious and deadly than the flu and so the medical system is in danger of being overwhelmed and having many more people die than need to.

The point of the quarantines is not to stop the virus. You likely won't be able to stop it.

It's to slow down the spread of it so that the medical community can cope with it and everyone that needs treatment can receive it.

7 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

What's happening in Italy is that because it was so contagious and so many people have entered the medical system for help, doctors are being forced to choose who to help and who not to help, and they have mandates to treat those with a better chance of survival.

That means if your mother has a smaller chance of surviving, she's left to die.

That's why there is urgency.

Because the flu is spread over several months and the medical system is generally prepared for it.

This is all happening at once, is new, is possibly more contagious and deadly than the flu and so the medical system is in danger of being overwhelmed and having many more people die than need to.

The point of the quarantines is not to stop the virus. You likely won't be able to stop it.

It's to slow down the spread of it so that the medical community can cope with it and everyone that needs treatment can receive it.

Yes I think everyone fully understands the point of the quarantine to slow it down. Listen there is just too much for me to discuss here.  Talk about in person.  But yeah no way I am going to agree this happening all at once CV-19 has been in USA since Dec.  I am sure many people just thought they had the flu since most flu and Cv-19 symptoms are not life threatening and dont need medical help.  

But again why is Canada banks sucking? They were supposed to be the best.  Bank of Nova, Montreal and TD sucking right now uhhhhhhh my stocks! lol

3 minutes ago, NewWorldOrder said:

But again why is Canada banks sucking? They were supposed to be the best.  Bank of Nova, Montreal and TD sucking right now uhhhhhhh my stocks!

Aren't all banks sucking right now because of the stock market decline?

(shrug)

20 minutes ago, sfcityduck said:

The flu is a known quantity.  And we are doing everything that can reasonably be done given the risk.  In contrast, we don't yet know what the real stats will be on COVID-19.  We are only a few months in.  We don't yet know if millions will be affected or not.  We don't yet know if only a few thousand will die in the U.S.  That's wishful thinking based on a projection from a very limited data set.  Flu is seasonally contained, we don't yet know if that is true for COVID-19.  Lots of unknowns, and no one wants to be the person who makes the stupid choice which kills a lot of people who didn't need to die.

But you are perfectly okay knowing that around 12,000 die each year in the USA from the FLU is okay because we expect it. :smirk:

The known is 39 mostly old people have died.  More people have died today in the USA from eating McDonalds or car accidents.  Worry about getting SF back to being a world class city should be the main long term focus.  SF has worst diseases and germs on the streets prob than China right now.  Pop app for god sakes lol

I think you are adding to the mass hysteria my friend.   Relax.........its going to be ok.  

Edited by NewWorldOrder

30 minutes ago, NEED MO DAKKA said:

I have no insight to higher testing capability for the government, but I actually was just talking to a family doctor that was next to me at dinner.  He told me people are coming in raging about not being able to be tested despite them wanting one or showing some symptoms.  He said the thing they don't understand is that he's equally as angry because he doesn't get to choose who gets tested.  It's some algorithm that chooses who gets tested (if anyone) due to the scarcity of testing kits based on their vulnerability and severity of symptoms from what I understood.  Despite this, he doesn't have testing kits anyways.  He said he just found out this afternoon that he's supposed to have testing kits tomorrow to start.

I don't know how true that is or if I misunderstood fully, but I found it interesting.

Like @sfcityduck said, scandalous.  We’re treating this like the social apocalypse while not having the capacity to even remotely accurately gauge the extent of the spread in this country to date.  :facepalm:

Back to the point about the stocks.......

Listen, if you put a $1000 dollars of diversified funds into the stock market every day, week, month, or year since the 1929 Great Depression are you up or down? Obviously you are up big time.

Since the 2008 Financial Crisis (again assuming you didnt lose your job and had extra $) if you put as much diversified money as you could into the stock market you would be sitting pretty right now.  

Point being there is nothing wrong with just having cash instead if you are okay with that money being "dead money" (aka not making you any more money) thats fine, but rest assured if the stock market goes to zero and stays there your money, gold, or comics will have the same value.  Whats an AF 15 going to do for me where food would be the only known commodity worth owning or clothes?  CO-19 will create millionaires who are buying these stocks at a much lower discounted price.  Today begins the sell off for many and long-term growth opportunities for others who are either buying and/or not selling.  Soon to be retirees should have been moving their funds out of stock equities, and into more fixed income securities anyway, so that is something they should have planned ahead for. 

It's pretty much impossible for a market not to rebound, cause last time I checked most people won't work for free.  Next couple of months are going to be a great time to buy.  Short-term this sucks, long-term things will recover and life will go on!

Just my opinion.  

Edited by NewWorldOrder

1 hour ago, NewWorldOrder said:

Sure maybe. Flu does the same though being contagious in the air and on items you touch on a daily basis, and if it was that much worse millions would be dead.  Listen I am not disagreeing that it very well can be more contagious etc...., but we are acting like this is going to kill everyone lol

Again I ask, 12,000 people each year die in the USA from the flu.  Why doesnt that cripple the USA economy each year and governments shut society events and gathering down on a regular basis every year? 

well, the flu does this despite flu shots being readily available and taken by millions. that is a huge difference

21 minutes ago, sfcityduck said:

To the contrary,  I think most folks find facts reassuring.  It's when you tell them something is fake news one day, and the next are banning travel to Europe in response to that "fake news" that folks begin to get really really concerned.  Folks appreciate it when problems are tackled frankly and transparently.  

As it is now, as I have said a number of times already, I do think there is a real risk that the economic fallout kills more than the disease.  But, its too early for us to even begin to guess how many the disease will kill.  So there is a value to being prudent.  It would have been better if we were actively seeking as much info as possible by aggressive testing.

You are acting as if you can predict the future.  If it were that easy, I don't think we'd see our government changing directions like a pinball.

Glass half empty :popcorn:

1 hour ago, Bird said:

mild in this case means no lung involvement or pneumonia or only mild pneumonia. Not mild in the commonly accepted definition. 

1 hour ago, Bird said:

well, the flu does this despite flu shots being readily available and taken by millions. that is a huge difference

Yes they are mild like must flu cases, most of that information is available for you to read about from doctors who can testify to that.  Most flu cases and so far most Co-19 do not require you to go to seek medical attention.  Every time I had the flu shot I was immediately sick with in that same week with the worst flu I have ever had every time.  I refuse to get a flu shot anymore.  I have not had the flu in years, ever since I stopped getting the flu shot.  I am heading to Napa in two weeks, I am not worried about getting on a plane what so ever.  Have to live your life, cant live in fear or what the fear mongering media is doing.  Be careful, take precautions and move on.....

People wouldnt get as as often sick if they ate better and had a good exercise regiment, especially for the flu.  You would be surprised to see what happens to one's life when one implements that kind of lifestyle. 

On 3/5/2020 at 2:08 PM, lou_fine said:

Sad to say, but I was talking with a research scientist who's been doing quite a bit of work with this virus for both the WHO and CDC, and he confirms that this corona virus will indeed have serious impact for comic book collectors going forward.  :frown:

Due to the material used in making the CGC holders, apparently this corona virus can actually live on the surface of the holder for several years.  In addition, not only is this virus both infectious and highly contagious, but it has also been found to be very discriminating.  Apparently this corona virus targets only CGC slabs that are graded at 9.8 or higher and also any books that are valued at $1,000 or higher.  :sick:  :fear:

Being the caring board member that I am who is always concerned about the health of other boardies here, I am more than willing to sacrifice myself by taking the risk of holding onto these hazardous slabbed books for you until the incubation time period of 10 years for these CGC holders is up and these books are safe for you to hold once again.  lol  :takeit:

:applause:

14 hours ago, sfcityduck said:

My guess is that most of the folks on these boards are above their 60s. 

If this is true then you all need to stop shaking your fists at millennials for their grammar usage.

Didn't we do an boardie age poll a while back? Seemed like the majority of us were in the 40-50 range. Which is why we're all going to retire at the same time, try to cash out at the same time, and destroy the market at the same time.