• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Thoughts on Stocks and Coronavirus and Comics
4 4

491 posts in this topic

8 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

I am busy looking for cheap hats and costumes... 

If I am being forced to video conference each day, I want to look my best. 

I am thinking pirate hat and eye patch for the first day. 

My weeding is in 5 weeks and I’m pretty sure things are going to suck. My fiancé still needs her dress altered. I’ve been fitted for my tux but it wasn’t due to arrive until a few days before the weeding. If I don’t get a tux it’s going to be ridiculous. I have some silver cuff links I was going to get the date and our initials engraved on but I don’t want to send them out now. Not sure if we will get our marriage licenses issued. And I just spoke with the chapel, they said as of now nothing has changed, but I’m afraid the state will shut them down. Already pretty sure the reception has to be cancelled. Attendance is taking a hit too. My fiancé’s parents are in Canada and her favorite aunt is in Texas. Our honeymoon is postponed until this blows over. My fiancé is superstitious and this is really messing with her head

33 minutes ago, paperheart said:

my LCS just announced it was closing; he's been at it 30+ years:sorry:

I just got an email saying mine was closed too.  Sad day.  I really hope other shapes are able to re-open when this is all over with, otherwise I worry how the industry might change.  I really like having floppies and don't want to go to a digital format.

1 hour ago, dupont2005 said:

My weeding is in 5 weeks and I’m pretty sure things are going to suck. My fiancé still needs her dress altered. I’ve been fitted for my tux but it wasn’t due to arrive until a few days before the weeding. If I don’t get a tux it’s going to be ridiculous. I have some silver cuff links I was going to get the date and our initials engraved on but I don’t want to send them out now. Not sure if we will get our marriage licenses issued. And I just spoke with the chapel, they said as of now nothing has changed, but I’m afraid the state will shut them down. Already pretty sure the reception has to be cancelled. Attendance is taking a hit too. My fiancé’s parents are in Canada and her favorite aunt is in Texas. Our honeymoon is postponed until this blows over. My fiancé is superstitious and this is really messing with her head

it will work out if she is the one. every setback has a bright side if you are determined. as an example, this means you are still 2 separate persons for the purpose of government accounting, so you would each get a cheese check. if you were married 5 weeks from now, you may have been only getting one check, because they are dancing around and saying they might not get the cheese checks out until late april, and one of the sticking points is 1 or more checks to married  couples

54 minutes ago, wilbil said:

it will work out if she is the one. every setback has a bright side if you are determined. as an example, this means you are still 2 separate persons for the purpose of government accounting, so you would each get a cheese check. if you were married 5 weeks from now, you may have been only getting one check, because they are dancing around and saying they might not get the cheese checks out until late april, and one of the sticking points is 1 or more checks to married  couples

We are definitely keeping the date even if we have to say our vows from a fema tent. Well, I shouldn’t jinx it, but just today agreed even if our family can only attend through FaceTime we are doing it

The food hoarding is a little too much.

The infrastructure is there, there will be people who will need the work. I don't think stocking grocery stores will be a problem.

A lot of people are going to need some help as this goes on.  Secretary Mnuchin of theTrump Administration has now taken the position that unless the Senate, which has been hiding out the past few days, gets on board with the Pelosi House's economic bill ASAP, the U.S. will be facing 20% unemployment.  

Edited by sfcityduck

6 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

Oh, and to @the blob and the rest of NYC'ers...

And those that work there... 

I drove in today... still took almost two hours to go in and I just got home now... took about an hour to come back home. 

Be prepared for a shelter in place order within the next 48hrs. 

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/17/new-yorkers-should-be-prepared-for-a-shelter-in-place-order-mayor-bill-de-blasio-says.html

My wife is an epidemiologist. I get updates every 10 seconds.

32 minutes ago, sfcityduck said:

A lot of people are going to need some help as this goes on.  Secretary Mnuchin of theTrump Administration has now taken the position that unless the Senate, which has been hiding out the past few days, gets on board with the Pelosi House's economic bill ASAP, the U.S. will be facing 20% unemployment.  

got as high as 10% in 2009, 24.9% in 1933 

1 hour ago, VintageComics said:

The food hoarding is a little too much.

The infrastructure is there, there will be people who will need the work. I don't think stocking grocery stores will be a problem.

I agree, but being ready for a 2-3 week interruption makes sense. If I am. Under order not to leave my house other than for necessities I don't want to explain to cops I am just walking 2 blocks to the market. Thank God I can work from home and have a solvent employer, but I suspect I won't get a raise for 3-5 years in order to pay for this.

1 hour ago, Bunky Brian said:

Here's my stupid no nothing take on this,

I BELIEVE THAT GA SA KEYS, MEGA AND SUPER WILL DROP IN VALUE BY AT LEAST 20% FROM NOW, TO THE END OF THEYEAR,

:whatev:

Guys on Facebook still think their spawn 2 is worth $15

1 hour ago, paperheart said:

got as high as 10% in 2009, 24.9% in 1933 

No reason to think when/f this passes there will not be pent up demand in general, particularly if the guvment (fed and local)  steps in and props things up, stops foreclosures and evictions, etc. Granted, we have a lot of debt right now so one could argue we were having a recession this year anyway. 10 years of "up" usually falls off a cliff at some point. We usually don't get an 8-10 year run. We are shutting things down in order to slow things and have a China like resolution to this, which would basically be akin to a horrible flu season in terms of deaths or hospitalizations. Alas, it is only a few places really going wild. I happen to live in one.

Edited by the blob