• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Thoughts on Stocks and Coronavirus and Comics
4 4

491 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, JJ-4 said:

No problem, we use one and the kids even like the taste, it's similar to what you would get from bottled water.

I buy both because I’m working construction and commuting up to 7 hours a day and got two young ones that love knocking cups over and spilling. But we are refilling our bottled water with the filtered water from our Brita now. Maybe a habit we will continue after this whole thing blows over

3 hours ago, shadroch said:

It appears the head of the Senate Intelligence Committee sold a million and a half dollars worth of stocks after a meeting on the coming of the virus. After giving a public speech where he downplayed the virus, he warned his pals at a private club that bad times were coming. If that isn't insider trading, what is?:flipbait:

they've got two now: Burr, R - NC, Loeffler, R - GA

8 hours ago, paperheart said:

they've got two now: Burr, R - NC, Loeffler, R - GA

It's spreading like the Corona virus.... now it's up to 4 (add Imhofe, R-OK and Feinstein, D-CA).  Before it's over, I suspect half of Congress will have found ways that protected their assets before this all hit.  (No politics, just factual observation).

This morning I bumped into a neighbor on the elevator, also on her way to work. She is a cashier at Safeway and when I asked her how things were going she burst into tears. She has been dealing with the madness daily, on the front line, trying to keep her head while everyone around her loses theirs. Meanwhile, her husband is at home desperately trying to care for their autistic son now that his special-needs school has closed due to the outbreak. She is overcome with exhaustion and fear, just like all of her co-workers and all of the other Costco, Wal-Mart, etc. employees who are working their a**es off trying to keep the sky from falling. It isn't their fault there's no bread, toilet paper or whatever else you need on the shelves.

So if you are at the store today, for any reason, try to be polite and patient and, if possible, let these workers know how much you appreciate their being there through these scary times, but please - NO hugs!

32 minutes ago, Black_Adam said:

This morning I bumped into a neighbor on the elevator, also on her way to work. She is a cashier at Safeway and when I asked her how things were going she burst into tears. She has been dealing with the madness daily, on the front line, trying to keep her head while everyone around her loses theirs. Meanwhile, her husband is at home desperately trying to care for their autistic son now that his special-needs school has closed due to the outbreak. She is overcome with exhaustion and fear, just like all of her co-workers and all of the other Costco, Wal-Mart, etc. employees who are working their a**es off trying to keep the sky from falling. It isn't their fault there's no bread, toilet paper or whatever else you need on the shelves.

So if you are at the store today, for any reason, try to be polite and patient and, if possible, let these workers know how much you appreciate their being there through these scary times, but please - NO hugs!

Our local Safeway (only grocery in town) has instituted a seniors only time from 7 - 9 am.

Curious, since I thought Safeway was a regional store, where generally are you located?  I'm in South Central Oregon, where we border Nevada and California.

7 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

Our local Safeway (only grocery in town) has instituted a seniors only time from 7 - 9 am.

Curious, since I thought Safeway was a regional store, where generally are you located?  I'm in South Central Oregon, where we border Nevada and California.

Safeway was my go to grocery store in Fairbanks, Alaska when I was growing up.  Don't have any here in Ohio so maybe its a NW thing?

15 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

I am near Vancouver, BC. Canada Safeway has 162 full-service grocery stores in Western Canada!

Home

19 hours ago, BIGJIMMY said:

My tap water is very cloudy, but I will take your advice and check out Target. Really don't want to go out no more. Hopefully, I can pick up the inexpensive water filter jug on line from Target. Thanks though for the tip.

Our tap water here is terrible. I can't drink it. Instead of having water delivered you can do it at home. Water purifiers have gotten really good and you can score one for under $20.00:

https://www.amazon.com/ZeroWater-Pitcher-Quality-BPA-Free-Certified/dp/B0073PZ6O0/ref=sr_1_14?keywords=water+purifier&qid=1584724492&sr=8-14

17 hours ago, mattn792 said:
18 hours ago, shadroch said:

It appears the head of the Senate Intelligence Committee sold a million and a half dollars worth of stocks after a meeting on the coming of the virus. After giving a public speech where he downplayed the virus, he warned his pals at a private club that bad times were coming. If that isn't insider trading, what is?:flipbait:

It’s nice when you’re the one who makes the laws, no?  Just like term limits, a ban on insider trading by members of Congress should be a no brainer.  Hence, neither will ever pass.  

:idea:  They should probably also consider putting on a temporary ban on the shorting of stocks because that is certainly not helping in terms of the volatility in the marketplace.  hm

1 hour ago, 1Cool said:

Safeway was my go to grocery store in Fairbanks, Alaska when I was growing up.  Don't have any here in Ohio so maybe its a NW thing?

Uggh - I spent more time in Fairbanks than I wish to admit - and I was only there in the summer time.  Must have been a terrible place to grow up, but I suppose if you didn't know any better, then it was probably OK at the time.

Just now, lizards2 said:

Uggh - I spent more time in Fairbanks than I wish to admit - and I was only there in the summer time.  Must have been a terrible place to grow up, but I suppose if you didn't know any better, then it was probably OK at the time.

Nope - I knew it sucked to live in AK but you just deal with it.  I left the day after graduation and have only been back twice to visit family that have not moved down.  The people were nice but living in AK was just brutal.

2 minutes ago, 1Cool said:
5 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

Nope - I knew it sucked to live in AK but you just deal with it.  I left the day after graduation and have only been back twice to visit family that have not moved down.  The people were nice but living in AK was just brutal.

Yeah - the interior is pretty...., fugly.  I mean, it is beautiful, but fugly at the same time, and no fun being a rung or two down on the food chain. :p

8 hours ago, Bookery said:

It's spreading like the Corona virus.... now it's up to 4 (add Imhofe, R-OK and Feinstein, D-CA).  Before it's over, I suspect half of Congress will have found ways that protected their assets before this all hit.  (No politics, just factual observation).

Feinstein has a blind trust, her husband did the selling, she also was not pooh poohing the thread of covid19. And It was in a pharma biotech stock, which is not the first thing you think will crash during a pandemic, but almost everything is getting dragged down. On the other hand, she is really rich, should have just eaten the loss for appearances sake.

Edited by the blob

4 hours ago, Black_Adam said:

Supermarket cashiers now make $15 an hour in NYC. If anyone thought they weren't "earning" it before, they sure as heck have earned it the last month and then some.

7 hours ago, Black_Adam said:

I am near Vancouver, BC. Canada Safeway has 162 full-service grocery stores in Western Canada!

Home

I was in DC last year and saw one in Bethesda, MD. So they're probably sprinkled in many parts of the US and Canada.

3 hours ago, BIGJIMMY said:

Thanks for that advice. It did turn clear after two minutes. Just to do another test. I took bottled water poured it into a cup next to the tap water in a cup after two minutes sitting and the tap water was just as cleared as the bottled water. Really thanks as you just saved me a lot of stress as I prepare to bunker down these next few weeks. 

Also..the same thing happens to my water coming from the fridge's water dispenser. The filter is new so I figured it wasn't that. The water does clear up in a minute or two.

6 hours ago, lou_fine said:

:idea:  They should probably also consider putting on a temporary ban on the shorting of stocks because that is certainly not helping in terms of the volatility in the marketplace.  hm

just like they should put a temporary ban on the buying of stocks when they are going up every day for a decade - you reap what you sow

On ‎3‎/‎20‎/‎2020 at 6:04 PM, mattn792 said:

Spot on.  And all this selling means someone else is buying.  Like me :bigsmile:

And if folks aren't seasoned investors you should join your companies 401K if you aren't participating and increase your contribution if you already do.

Stock are on sale for the near future if you want to fill your retirement nest egg and have at least 5 to 7 years to retirement.