• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Thoughts on Stocks and Coronavirus and Comics
4 4

491 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

I'd rather read physical drek than digital anything.

And there are admittedly MANY of you in that camp.  But all it takes are a few that are willing to try it to get their 'fix'.  Then the question is, how many stay with digital? 

That's why I believe that this event is going to lose more ground for not only printed comic books but for brick and mortar to begin with.

My Amazon Fresh order came to my doorstep at 6am btw.  I could see myself occasionally placing more orders in the future even after all this passes.   That's a loss for the local supermarkets. 

11 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

And there are admittedly MANY of you in that camp.  But all it takes are a few that are willing to try it to get their 'fix'.  Then the question is, how many stay with digital? 

That's why I believe that this event is going to lose more ground for not only printed comic books but for brick and mortar to begin with.

My Amazon Fresh order came to my doorstep at 6am btw.  I could see myself occasionally placing more orders in the future even after all this passes.   That's a loss for the local supermarkets. 

It will be interesting to see how it will play out. 

Personally, I’m not especially enamored with digital  There are aspects of digital content that appeal to me, such as ease of access and the reduction of clutter.  But the biggest draw back for me is the tenuousness of digital “ownership”.  I know proponents of digital content are supremely confident they own their content.  I’m skeptical and still prefer the certainty of physical ownership if I’m paying for something.  

Having said that:  I think print comics are probably done. Print comics seem to have been on life-support for so long that converting to digital-only seems almost inevitable. I’d abandoned modern print comics awhile back so I wouldn’t be one of the ones converting as there’s not enough there content-wise to motivate me to do so. 

But as far as the total death of print, I’m not so sure. While I do think giant bookstores like Barnes and Nobel will eventually go away (heck, a least a third of their floorspace now is devoted to Legos, Thomas the Train, movies, CDs and “collectibles”) I don’t know that physical books will completely die. 

I think there is a sizable number of readers who, like audiophiles who swear    vinyl produces a better quality of sound, feel that reading a physical book adds to the experience. I wonder if what will happen with books is what’s happening with Blu-ray now: several boutique labels popping up to to produce niche movies in limited numbers at higher price for those who still want a physical copy. 

And as far as brick-and mortar stores: there’s no denying it’s nice to have your stuff dropped at your front door. Perhaps we are heading towards becoming a society like that depicted in Caves of Steel.

But there could be unintended consequences. If more people begin buying everything on-line and having it delivered to their home while they’re at work, we could see an increase in Porch Piracy. It’s clear that neither USPS nor Amazon want to take responsibility for merchandise they delivered but was stolen. The police seem to have more important things to do. Perhaps people will get fed up and want to go back to physical stores just so they can make sure they get their stuff. 

We’ll see. 

8 minutes ago, HarrisonJohn said:

No one will want to be home when this is over. 

It's actually where we like to be.  So far, no hardship at all.  In fact it is great, in that we are getting a carpton of stuff done.

We're playing lots of cribbage and watching movies.  Walking the dog is still legal here.  Starting to work on our taxes, and the kids, and no one is interrupting!  Once that is done, I'll be working on my VCC booth for upcoming April 18-19 VCC - which everyone here should be doing.

1 hour ago, theCapraAegagrus said:
1 hour ago, lizards2 said:

It's actually where we like to be...

Loser.

We'll see who wins in the end.  It's a long way to the finish line. :cool: 

I won that race because I love rabbit stew - Insanity Tortoise ...

Sad to say I'm seeing comic dealers closing their brick and mortar stores (still in business for e-sales and probably down the road conventions).  

Here's a question:  Anyone hear of hoarding "corona virus era" comics starting yet?  

I dont think that the secondary market will be effected from this. If anything it may even do alot better. Sadly, because there are no cons and comic book shops are closed/ing theres basically only one main outlet for books - online. And I think that will only get stronger and stronger as time goes by if nothing else changes. I've had the strongest month in sales in March, and not alot of it were keys/big books... TONS of $5-20 i never dreamed Ill ever sell. 

As far as new books, who knows, maybe Diamond will never open again, but there are so many ways to change the status quo positively. 

The big 2 (3?) may chose to implement conservative subscription services once again. the indies may go the kickstarter route. Or maybe they will both combine and create a new online distribution channel.

Brick and mortar will now focus on selling online, so even though they are closed now, they still have inventory to move and if focusing on just that, at least they will be able to sustain operation while this play out.

None of this is easy, but one thing is for sure, the industry will not die, the market will sustain, and maybe a new generation of distribution will be born 

lets wait and see 

On 3/27/2020 at 12:10 PM, mattn792 said:

I think the risk to brick and mortar is being significantly overblown.  If this current crisis has taught me one thing, its that sitting in the house is driving me crazy.  Luckily, I'm still working and have "essential" business that pulls me into the office (and out of the house!) a couple of days per week. 

But to live in a "normal" world where everything is being delivered to me at home, and I have no reason to leave my own property?  F that.  And I'd wager that the vast majority of people feel the same way, regardless of the convenience of online consumerism.

Noticed this today. Even with the limitations in place right now, the weather is killer outside, people were out just soaking in the sun and getting out of the house. All safely of course (no shaming required).

Hopefully they figure out some other way to get books out. In hindsight it was a terrible idea to run everything through one third party. Single point of failure, now the entire industry is frozen.

Marvel and DC should partner with the bigger online retailers. As we have seen with past Ebay sales, shops like MyComicsShop get exclusive distribution / sales for certain variants. They are able to fulfill orders at a large volume, as they have shown. So give MyComicsShop exclusive sales rights to 10 books of the week, they will sell all ten as a bundle for $50 shipped. You can't just buy ASM, they don't have the man power and sorting for that. Folks will still buy, they might buy MORE for speculation ("pandemic era" comics, as someone earlier mentioned).

19 hours ago, Aweandlorder said:

I dont think that the secondary market will be effected from this. If anything it may even do alot better. Sadly, because there are no cons and comic book shops are closed/ing theres basically only one main outlet for books - online. And I think that will only get stronger and stronger as time goes by if nothing else changes. I've had the strongest month in sales in March, and not alot of it were keys/big books... TONS of $5-20 i never dreamed Ill ever sell. 

As far as new books, who knows, maybe Diamond will never open again, but there are so many ways to change the status quo positively. 

The big 2 (3?) may chose to implement conservative subscription services once again. the indies may go the kickstarter route. Or maybe they will both combine and create a new online distribution channel.

Brick and mortar will now focus on selling online, so even though they are closed now, they still have inventory to move and if focusing on just that, at least they will be able to sustain operation while this play out.

None of this is easy, but one thing is for sure, the industry will not die, the market will sustain, and maybe a new generation of distribution will be born 

lets wait and see 

What made your change your view on this? Few weeks back you telling me about a slowdown

1 minute ago, fastballspecial said:

What made your change your view on this? Few weeks back you telling me about a slowdown

You’re absolutely right. Even though my sales never slowed down, just reading from everything that was said here and relating it to the news there was a sentiment that suggested that people will stop buying online especially from high infected areas. But in those 3-4 weeks conventions came to a halt, brick and mortar stores closed and diamond closed. Total different ballgame now

On 3/25/2020 at 2:42 PM, fastballspecial said:

its always a spending problem. So much pork in every bill its such a dirty game. Everyone is Congress
shares some guilt.

All pork is not equal though. An addition to a bill is often how smaller less dense parts of the country get funding for things. They do not pull enough clout to get their funding through congress on their own because the rest of congress does not care about some small town needing a new bridge in Montana. I agree with you though. It IS always a spending problem. 

On 3/19/2020 at 9:44 AM, Buzzetta said:

My job in its infinite wisdom is still here.  Each department is about 4-5 people so they divided us up in various areas.   We don't see the other departments right now. 

Make believe I am Department "B"

Over in Department "A" The wife of one of my coworkers works with someone who is a confirmed case. 

I voiced my concern about that. 

Now let's flash forward to today.  Just learned that... out of the five people in his department three are home with fevers and coughs.   One guy posted a pic of his thermometer at 102.2.   

But Buzz?  What of the remaining two?  They were sent to train us how to do something yesterday and go department to department. 

Voiced my concern over that last night and now this is our last day here for the next few weeks as we are shutting down to completely work from home. 

Now let's see what has been done.  Most likely I've been directly exposed.  I was at the chiropractor on Monday and Wednesday so I hope I just didn't bring something home to Nassau County from New York city. 

My parents are 75 and 71 (in July).  I had to tell them and I don't even want them near my house for the next two weeks.  I don't want them dropping off mail.  I don't want them dropping off a meal.  (Dad likes to BBQ 2/7)  Also, I don't want to even drop off groceries unless they are wiping them down with something. 

My girlfriend works from her home.  So there goes that.  I have to tell her tonight.  I have known her family for over 20 years and her father needs to keep up his strength.  She travels from her house to his house only. 

Then there are the obvious concerns. 

Not very happy today.  Just felt the need to vent anonymously. 

3,755 days to go.   The next two will be in isolation. 

On 3/24/2020 at 11:30 PM, Buzzetta said:

My Aunt lives in Staten Island near the mall.  She watched her neighbor removed from their home by people in hazmat suits. 

I mentioned what was going on at work earlier in this thread.   One of my coworkers was admitted to the hospital and another says he has to wait 6-8 days for his test results.  No one except one of the bosses has heard from another one of my coworkers who had the 102 fever.  When asked she just said he was fine and she recently spoke to him.  

The worst part about today was watching my mom burst into tears over FaceTime. 

On an upside... my mom did learn about sending memes lol as I have discovered when I see I have a text message from her. 

And with that this morning... two coworkers are now confirmed cases.   Two more are or were sick with 'something' and a fifth person who was in the hospital is supposedly being released soon.

3,743 days to go. 

Not sure if this was posted anywhere, but just read this about Diamond not paying publishers this week...

https://www.msn.com/en-us/entertainment/books/in-blow-to-publishers-comics-distributor-to-withhold-payments/ar-BB11YG5W?ocid=spartanntp

Edit: Nvm, I found it in another thread...

Edited by Cozmo-One

I am a Silver Age comic collector who still has a job and has shifted to working from home for the past 3 weeks.  Probably be doing that for the next month or more.  I have not been spending money at bars, restaurants, etc.  The last Comic Convention I was scheduled to attend was cancelled.  Can't take the kids to Disneyland or go to concerts or movie theaters... I have saved so much money in the past few weeks of being trapped indoors that I just started focusing on curating my collection.  Filling in gaps, buying keys I normally wouldn't prioritize...

What I noticed from watching some of the auctions recently... there are a lot of other people like me who have money coming in and nothing better to do than attend a Saturday or Sunday comic auction.  The prices are getting more and more ridiculous every week.  I just watched a TOS39 4.5 with tape on the cover sell for almost 10k yesterday after buyer's premium.  That book 3 weeks ago would have been 7k tops.  I think the overall availability of vintage books has decreased, because several shops have been ordered to close by their governors, and many eBay stores are on hiatus.  Meanwhile, the pool of potential buyers is greater because they are basically a captive audience stuck at home, eagerly seeking out whatever joy they can find.  Some of us find it in comics.

I see this as a simple supply/demand issue that raises the value of nearly all books.  Supply is down because shops are closed and shows are cancelled; even dealers who would normally trade among themselves to satisfy their clients' needs are less able to do so.  Demand is up because there is less competition for dollars as other leisure spending is eliminated and people are stuck at home with their collections.  Put these two together and you have rising comic prices on most books.

12 hours ago, ronnieramone said:

I am a Silver Age comic collector who still has a job and has shifted to working from home for the past 3 weeks.  Probably be doing that for the next month or more.  I have not been spending money at bars, restaurants, etc.  The last Comic Convention I was scheduled to attend was cancelled.  Can't take the kids to Disneyland or go to concerts or movie theaters... I have saved so much money in the past few weeks of being trapped indoors that I just started focusing on curating my collection.  Filling in gaps, buying keys I normally wouldn't prioritize...

What I noticed from watching some of the auctions recently... there are a lot of other people like me who have money coming in and nothing better to do than attend a Saturday or Sunday comic auction.  The prices are getting more and more ridiculous every week.  I just watched a TOS39 4.5 with tape on the cover sell for almost 10k yesterday after buyer's premium.  That book 3 weeks ago would have been 7k tops.  I think the overall availability of vintage books has decreased, because several shops have been ordered to close by their governors, and many eBay stores are on hiatus.  Meanwhile, the pool of potential buyers is greater because they are basically a captive audience stuck at home, eagerly seeking out whatever joy they can find.  Some of us find it in comics.

I see this as a simple supply/demand issue that raises the value of nearly all books.  Supply is down because shops are closed and shows are cancelled; even dealers who would normally trade among themselves to satisfy their clients' needs are less able to do so.  Demand is up because there is less competition for dollars as other leisure spending is eliminated and people are stuck at home with their collections.  Put these two together and you have rising comic prices on most books.

this is an interesting and new take on things. i have not personally seen supply be lower since heritage, comiclink and comicconnect still have their regular auctions, which, other than board sales, are what i watch. and i think, unlike you, many, many folks are either out of work, or earning less. given that, i dont see demand being up. it only takes two people to drive the price of one particular auction book crazy. davidthedavid's thread tracking sales lately shows most prices are down, about two thirds of books.