• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Signed books sent in by artist/writer
1 1

20 posts in this topic

6 minutes ago, RayJr said:

Just wondering if an artist can send a sketch commission in for the buyer to get a Yellow Label, what about a comic with just his/her signature on it?

for sure yes on the first one, maybe in very special circumstances on the second one.  Best to contact CGC directly either way.  good luck.

1 hour ago, revat said:

for sure yes on the first one, maybe in very special circumstances on the second one.  Best to contact CGC directly either way.  good luck.

Thanks for responding brother. It was just a question. I normally get mine signed at the Cons I attend. Just was wondering what is the difference in a sketch commission being sent in and a book signed by an artist if it is acceptable. I’ll call CGC and ask.

I wouldn't think it would be different, but that's just supposition. If/when you get a definitive answer, please post it here! I, for one, have several books by less-prominent creators who don't often appear at shows with CGC facilitators, so if I could send them maybe five comics and some CGC paperwork it would be great, I just haven't looked into it fully.

2 hours ago, wardevil0 said:

I wouldn't think it would be different, but that's just supposition. If/when you get a definitive answer, please post it here! I, for one, have several books by less-prominent creators who don't often appear at shows with CGC facilitators, so if I could send them maybe five comics and some CGC paperwork it would be great, I just haven't looked into it fully.

I’ll ask today to see what they tell me and post it here

On 3/6/2020 at 11:21 AM, RayJr said:

I got off the phone with CGC and you can have a artist/writer send in a regular book signed by them that they have worked on to get the Signature Series Label. Hope this helps 

It most certainly does. Great question! 

3 hours ago, wardevil0 said:

I was thinking there was a form for the artist/writer to fill out, basically an affidavit that they did, in fact, sign the book in question...?

It is the same. I talked to a CGC rep Friday so as long as the artist/writer sends in the book regardless if it is a commission or regular signed book, it will get the Signature Series Label.

1 hour ago, RayJr said:

It is the same. I talked to a CGC rep Friday so as long as the artist/writer sends in the book regardless if it is a commission or regular signed book, it will get the Signature Series Label.

Thanks for the info, Ray.  One question: Does CGC email them the form directly or is it available somewhere on the website? 

13 hours ago, wardevil0 said:

I was thinking there was a form for the artist/writer to fill out, basically an affidavit that they did, in fact, sign the book in question...?

Yes... THERE IS A FORM YOU HAVE TO SEND WITH THE BOOKS!!!

Have CGC email you a copy of the "Signature Series Creator Agreement"  
You can fill out some of the information yourself, but the creator has to fill in some information too (date, contact info, etc.)
That form MUST accompany the books through the process and CGC must receive it WITH THE BOOKS.
CGC will contact the creator and verify the authenticity that way and allow the books to receive SigSeries (Yellow) Labels.
They update the form from time to time so make sure you ask for the latest version.

I would also recommend Sending a pre-filled SigSeries form if you can get one from your LCS or CGC as well as a pre-printed shipping label and envelope/mailer for the creator to forward the books on to CGC.
The form will help make sure it gets charged to the right account and ensure you can watch the status of the submission as it progresses. 
The pre-printed shipping label will make it easy for the creator to package everything up and drop the items off at the post office.  
The books must arrive directly from the creator so making it as painless as possible for them is ideal. 

The creator can NOT send the books back to you prior to shipping them on to CGC!!!

Even if you don't open the package and just relabel it.  It has to come from the creators address.
CGC will check the return address and routing/tracking information to verify that the package arrived from the creators address, not yours. 
I ran into a small problem once because I live near Kevin Eastman who signed some books at his house for me and were sent in for grading afterwards.
CGC saw the identical Zip Code and gave us both a call to verify details.  That was years ago.  Fun times.

Good luck!

13 hours ago, Chazgee said:

Thanks for the info, Ray.  One question: Does CGC email them the form directly or is it available somewhere on the website? 

Either you or the artist can email CGC to request it. I have mine on my desktop so when I get a commission scheduled, I mail the book (s) with the form pre-filled out or email the form to the artist.

On 3/9/2020 at 10:55 PM, RadiantGraphix said:

Yes... THERE IS A FORM YOU HAVE TO SEND WITH THE BOOKS!!!

Have CGC email you a copy of the "Signature Series Creator Agreement"  
You can fill out some of the information yourself, but the creator has to fill in some information too (date, contact info, etc.)
That form MUST accompany the books through the process and CGC must receive it WITH THE BOOKS.
CGC will contact the creator and verify the authenticity that way and allow the books to receive SigSeries (Yellow) Labels.
They update the form from time to time so make sure you ask for the latest version.

I would also recommend Sending a pre-filled SigSeries form if you can get one from your LCS or CGC as well as a pre-printed shipping label and envelope/mailer for the creator to forward the books on to CGC.
The form will help make sure it gets charged to the right account and ensure you can watch the status of the submission as it progresses. 
The pre-printed shipping label will make it easy for the creator to package everything up and drop the items off at the post office.  
The books must arrive directly from the creator so making it as painless as possible for them is ideal. 

The creator can NOT send the books back to you prior to shipping them on to CGC!!!

Even if you don't open the package and just relabel it.  It has to come from the creators address.
CGC will check the return address and routing/tracking information to verify that the package arrived from the creators address, not yours. 
I ran into a small problem once because I live near Kevin Eastman who signed some books at his house for me and were sent in for grading afterwards.
CGC saw the identical Zip Code and gave us both a call to verify details.  That was years ago.  Fun times.

Good luck!

Thanks, this is great info! I'm thinking about getting my first cover commission done and this is exactly what I needed to know.  (thumbsu

I reached out to CGC few days ago, and I haven't heard from them yet. (I'm sure they are super busy)

Does anyone here have the actual "Signature Series Creator Agreement"document to send me please?

In addition,  how do I get a SigSeries form so I can pre-fill and  pre-print shipping label and envelope/mailer for the creator to forward the books on to CGC?

Edited by Odeh

55 minutes ago, Odeh said:

I reached out to CGC few days ago, and I haven't heard from them yet. (I'm sure they are super busy)

Does anyone here have the actual "Signature Series Creator Agreement"document to send me please?

In addition,  how do I get a SigSeries form so I can pre-fill and  pre-print shipping label and envelope/mailer for the creator to forward the books on to CGC?

You'll need to get them from CGC. They're free. Just call or email them and let them know you need them for a SS artist submission. I recommend getting a few extra to keep on hand.

2 hours ago, Odeh said:

I haven't come across any artist/creator that doesn't have the form themselves. I don't think you have to worry about it, but communicate with the person or middleman themselves and find out for sure how they handle it..

19 hours ago, fishbone said:

I haven't come across any artist/creator that doesn't have the form themselves. I don't think you have to worry about it, but communicate with the person or middleman themselves and find out for sure how they handle it..

I checked with the artist and he doesn't have it. 

On 4/16/2020 at 7:52 AM, Odeh said:

What is your email? I can send it. I have it on my desktop to send to artists when they do my commissions