• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Action 1 1938 with a Mexican Flare

34 posts in this topic

42 minutes ago, ender said:

That is super cool and I would imagine even more rare with the newsprint covers that I would think, wouldn’t protect it quite as much as the thicker glossy covers.

Yeah  these were true throw away books, Plus when you consider the environmental conditions are much harsher, economic factors of the country and the social aspects ( people really didn't collect like in the U.S.)  Its kind of a miracle  any survived. 

6 minutes ago, gadzukes said:

So Paquito 253 & 254 NEED to be found.

I am hunting for them, but  with this being one of two known copies of this issue  it may be a while

Edited by BrianR

7 minutes ago, gadzukes said:

Now many collectors will be looking, but I hope you are the one who finds them.

I don't  know.  There are quite a few people who will see it as just a reprint.  When its actually its the first Mexican/ Spanish edition of Action 1 (Superman story) even though its spread across issues.  What is nice is  while I consider these as extremely important books and rare they tend to be very affordable.

Pif Paf Magazine, in 1939, started reprinting all the Batman stories from Detective 27 forward. Like Paquito with Superman, it took several issues to complete just one Batman story. This fellow is selling the bound volumes carrying all the pre-Robin Batmans. Pif Paf 23 had the first half of Detective 27. You'd have to buy Pif Paf 23 through 50 to get all the Batman stories from Detective 27 through Detective 37. 

https://en.todocoleccion.net/comics/pif-paf-1939-tor-tebeos-libros-revistas-coleccion-pulps-cuentos-comics~x24532690

Batman Pif Paf1.jpg

It's  great  to see someone else appreciate these great books.   Pictures don't do them justice  you have to have them in hand to really  to fully experience how wonderful they are.

17 hours ago, BrianR said:

It's  great  to see someone else appreciate these great books.   Pictures don't do them justice  you have to have them in hand to really  to fully experience how wonderful they are.

But they're so rare that only a handful of us can do that.  SHARE THE IMAGES! :foryou:

On 3/9/2020 at 10:18 PM, Ameri said:

Pif Paf Magazine, in 1939, started reprinting all the Batman stories from Detective 27 forward. Like Paquito with Superman, it took several issues to complete just one Batman story. This fellow is selling the bound volumes carrying all the pre-Robin Batmans. Pif Paf 23 had the first half of Detective 27. You'd have to buy Pif Paf 23 through 50 to get all the Batman stories from Detective 27 through Detective 37. 

https://en.todocoleccion.net/comics/pif-paf-1939-tor-tebeos-libros-revistas-coleccion-pulps-cuentos-comics~x24532690

Batman Pif Paf1.jpg

So incredibly cool.  Thanks for sharing

I was recently in Japan and went to the Manga museum in Kyoto. They had a very interesting exhibit on Mexican comics. I took a bunch of pictures and was wondering where to show them. I had posted a bunch of toy photos in Robot Man's thread but those didn't quite seem to fit there. I'll post them here shortly as it will go right along with this thread.

First the museum is a pretty cool place, dedicated to the history of Manga in Japan. While primarily in Japanese you can still have a good tour if you are an English speaker.

MangaBrochure.thumb.jpg.9faebc7850507e4135b0f91b2756c222.jpg

The museum is known for its WALL OF MANGA, thousands of volumes line the wall of the whole museum and they are all available for reading!!

MangaWall1.thumb.jpg.55664c094c83291ee6fbca1d7f4d2cd9.jpg

And you will note that there ar Manga fans all about reading everything!  A year long membership with reading privileges was only like $20. Can you imagine that here in the states with US comics on display??

MangaWall2.thumb.jpg.103347be955edcfc95a1fbef26e920e8.jpg

But this display of Mexican comics was a real surprise for me and exposed me to some things I had no idea existed. First up were these very early editions which blew my mind when I saw them.

Is that the Phantom?

MangaComic4.thumb.jpg.f581180b1b31afd9548d04965c3b81cb.jpg

Korak wasn't Tarzan's friend here he was a demon!!

MangaComic1.thumb.jpg.bcc1e22e112793f11ddd9491ea97a617.jpg

And I don't know what to make of this guy!!

MangaComic2.thumb.jpg.bddf8d1eaf08477ccdf2195ebef26661.jpg

Anyway cool early stuff.