• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Kirby Brand Echh splash

15 posts in this topic

Currently on Heritage. I'm wondering if this is just Jack doing layouts with Sutton doing the bulk of the penciling and inking??? Than would explain the need for the character study on the back.

"FULL COSTUME OF FORBUSH MAN ON OTHER SIDE" in Jacks writing on the bottom (zoomable link here: https://comics.ha.com/…/jack-kirby-and-tom-…/a/7224-94102.s… )

lf2.jpg

lf.jpg

Off topic a bit, I'll admit, but the real origin of Forbush man is depicted in this wonderful drawing that I wish I'd commissioned. :) 

It's from the collection of Bill Lait (click to see it in full). Clearly, Irving was copying the original Red Tornado. :)
image.png.d65079f1fd28acd95d8380e3b446a5f8.png

I'd say "layouts" is a strong possibility, given those arrows pointing to all the floating heads, with the chopped-off text that suggests Stan or someone was pointing out who each character is supposed to be.

Sutton's style may have dominated a bit more than the average Kirby fan would like, but I'd always heard that Jack liked doing the Brand Ecch pieces.  Especially love the 1st issue FF parody and it appears to be detailed Kirby pencils ,

21 minutes ago, bluechip said:

Sutton's style may have dominated a bit more than the average Kirby fan would like, but I'd always heard that Jack liked doing the Brand Ecch pieces.  Especially love the 1st issue FF parody and it appears to be detailed Kirby pencils ,

The FF parody in issue #1 is definitely full Kirby pencils.  But by issue 5, it's much more sketchy.

On 3/4/2020 at 9:54 AM, pemart1966 said:

I don't see much Kirby at all on the splash - a tiny bit here and there but that's about it.  I'd say that the lion's share was done by Sutton.

Looks like the public caught on. The piece didn't sell. Last I saw it was $5kish and didn't meet reserve. Now it's available to "Make offer to owner" starting at $12k. I don't know if the owner believes this is Kirby but you would think someone at Heritage would be knowledgeable enough to point out to the owner that it is not.

1 hour ago, LenCat said:

Looks like the public caught on. The piece didn't sell. Last I saw it was $5kish and didn't meet reserve. Now it's available to "Make offer to owner" starting at $12k. I don't know if the owner believes this is Kirby but you would think someone at Heritage would be knowledgeable enough to point out to the owner that it is not.

Wait - looks like it did sell for $12K, unless I'm mis-reading.

6 hours ago, glendgold said:

Wait - looks like it did sell for $12K, unless I'm mis-reading.

Hey Glen, I think that's just a "ploy" that they do. It SAYS "sold for $12k (10 plus HA fees?)  but then asks u to "make an offer to the owner" (in this case $15,600 minimum offer)

So what, are we supposed to believe that the "new" owner immediately put it back up for sale??

2 hours ago, LenCat said:

Hey Glen, I think that's just a "ploy" that they do. It SAYS "sold for $12k (10 plus HA fees?)  but then asks u to "make an offer to the owner" (in this case $15,600 minimum offer)

So what, are we supposed to believe that the "new" owner immediately put it back up for sale??

I am always ready to believe there are shenanigans going on, so sure, maybe it's a scam here, but there are plenty of other things that have sold that the new owners are instantly amenable to offers on. I'm not seeing the same thing you are, though - I see the sold at $12K thing, but I don't see the $15,600 you're supposed to offer.  Is that what happens when you click on "make offer?" 

11 hours ago, glendgold said:

I am always ready to believe there are shenanigans going on, so sure, maybe it's a scam here, but there are plenty of other things that have sold that the new owners are instantly amenable to offers on. I'm not seeing the same thing you are, though - I see the sold at $12K thing, but I don't see the $15,600 you're supposed to offer.  Is that what happens when you click on "make offer?" 

Yes If you click on the "make offer" button you will see the min. offer that you can make. (in this case $15.6k) I wasn't aware that people bought things only to try and immediately re-sell them at a much higher price on the same web page??? I mean if no one but the "buyer" was willing to pay 12k at auction why would they think "hey maybe someone will come along the next day and pay another $3.6k!"

I'm guessing it's just a matter of the piece not meeting reserve so HA leaves it on at the reserve price to see if anyone will buy it. If that's the case marking it as "sold" isn't exactly honest but I wouldn't call it a scam. Necessarily.

ech2.png

ech1.jpg

I'm giving HA the benefit of the doubt and it sold. Sometimes people miss an auction or would've paid more, or in 5 years this might be a steal?

The other pieces that didn't get their reserves tripped show BUY NOW and MAKE AN OFFER lol.

7 hours ago, malvin said:

Make an offer is an automatic feature unless you opt out

Malvin 

Hey Malvin.  OK I didn't know that. Is that for the original seller or the new owner?

1 hour ago, LenCat said:

Hey Malvin.  OK I didn't know that. Is that for the original seller or the new owner?

The buyer can opt out but all higher value items automatically have that offer button and if ha gets one they forward 

I once got an offer that I quickly accepted but the buyer backed out! (or ha couldn't contact them afterwards) 

Malvin