• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Travellers be Aware this convention season

13 posts in this topic

Be aware many cities are in a hyper cautious mode, and even though covid has a very minimal spread at this point 

Many are exercising extreme methods of control, already three major convention cities have declared states of emergency 

Make sure to check and verify travel restrictions if any before you set out, the situation is fluid and subject to rapid change 

Seattle has declared a civil emergency 

which among other things allows for public events to be shut down 

"As the death toll climbed Tuesday, Seattle Mayor Jenny Durkan, a , proclaimed a civil emergency. The declaration allows her to bypass regulations to increase city spending, contracting and borrowing to address the growing public health threat. It will also allow her office to close facilities and cancel events to prevent the virus from spreading further."

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/seattle-ghost-town-residents-face-uncertainty-growing-coronavirus-outbreak-n1148941

In addition Travelers this convention season should be aware that both San Francisco and San Diego have declared a State of Emergency as well 

https://www.mercurynews.com/2020/02/27/san-francisco-declares-state-of-emergency-over-coronavirus-heres-what-that-means/

Well we know hygiene is a huge priority of most con goers so we all should be good right? ;)   Maybe if con goers didn't spend a good chunk of their time  on the Petri dish floor of a convention hall we'd be in better shape.

Edited by AndyFish

It is good to be cautious healthwise in the USA. In Vancouver, BC, we have just completed large cons like Fan Expo and the Vancouver Comic and Toy Show (March 1/20) without much fear of coronavirus although local attendance for group dinners at Asian seafood restaurants and shoppers in suburban Asian malls have dropped up to half. Plus one can not buy a face mask :ph34r: on the Westcoast USA or Canada, as all sold out the last 2 months.

13 minutes ago, aardvark88 said:

It is good to be cautious healthwise in the USA. In Vancouver, BC, we have just completed large cons like Fan Expo and the Vancouver Comic and Toy Show (March 1/20) without much fear of coronavirus although local attendance for group dinners at Asian seafood restaurants and shoppers in suburban Asian malls have dropped up to half. Plus one can not buy a face mask :ph34r: on the Westcoast USA or Canada, as all sold out the last 2 months.

Funny thing is a face mask will not 100% prevent spread, it will help of course but it’s not a proof measure. Your typical surgical mask is meant to keep the wearer from spreading anything to another person. At least that’s what I’ve always been told. 

Even more so if folks are not going to wear them correctly, then the masks are for sure not helpful. The masks need to cover both your nose and mouth. Hygiene is key to avoid the spread of anything. 

Wash your damn hands for 15 seconds with hot water and soap and you'll be good to go.   More people have died from Bee Stings this year than Coronavirus.   18,000 people die every year from the flu, so why the panic over this?   I'm not saying it's not a legit concern at cons-- how many times are you next to someone at the sink in the bathroom and they're done before you've even hit the soap-- and how many just walk out without washing at all?   That's the problem.

NoBody is starting a panic, I was just stating facts and trying to provide some safety tips 

Emerald city was Just Cancelled and reed knows what they are doing 

They virtually had  to as almost all of the major guests bailed , why do you think they did that 

Corona is more the a flu and more contagious I just did c2e2 and myself and my friend BOTH returned with a slammin case of the flu  Convention centers are incubators , and I just wanted  to provide some insight 

I am not going to quote figures and statistics Just note the following

MAJOR CONVENTIONS ACROSS THE COUNTRY HAVE BEEN CANCELLED 

cities in china have become Ghost towns 

Italy has virtually shut down 

SF and San Diego are in states of emergency  

None of these people are stupid, maybe they are being overly cautious , maybe not 

But again this is far more dangerous then the flu 

People between 18 and 50 who have strong immune systems are at minimal risk of dying but not of catching some form of the virus which has so far mutated into 2 distinct forms

I myself will be following my planned  schedule this year and will be going to ace Boston in 2 weeks 

So again, some safety tips 

Wash your hand as frequently as possible, and use hand sanitizer

Try to avoid touching you face

When using public restrooms , carry a small  spray bottle, and spray and cover the seat 

If they flushs are manual don't touch directly, use a paper towel 

Wash with hot water and soap 

Bring your own food 

DO  NOT BRING KIDS,  ESPECIALLY INFANTS INTO ANY CONVENTION CENTER 

They are especially vulnerable 

Don't order any food anywhere which is kept out in the  open like popcorn , pizza etc .

The death toll (that we know of) is minimal, but that does not mean catching this is fun 

It lives in your respritory system and can cause permanent damage and even re-infect once you believe you are cured 

Do what you have to, but be smart and be safe 

I look forward to seeing my friends and fellow dealers in Boston 

On 3/4/2020 at 9:59 AM, rogue14 said:

Funny thing is a face mask will not 100% prevent spread, it will help of course but it’s not a proof measure. Your typical surgical mask is meant to keep the wearer from spreading anything to another person. At least that’s what I’ve always been told. 

Even more so if folks are not going to wear them correctly, then the masks are for sure not helpful. The masks need to cover both your nose and mouth. Hygiene is key to avoid the spread of anything. 

This is true

Only the N-95 will protect you and those are used in combination with gloves and gown.

There is a process of donning and doffing that needs to be followed or even the N-95 is worthless. Additionally, users need to be 'fit tested' as centain facial features such as beards will not allow the N-95 to protect the user. 

Proper hand-washing is the most effective method to avoid problems.

This thread is an example of why and how everyone is panicking right now.  First and foremost, kids appear to be darn near immune.  It's a complete mystery but they do.  Just check with the CDC.  Seattle is going nuts despite the fact that the majority of their cases were all from the same nursing home.  

We have two problems right now. One is an epidemic known as COVID-19 (coronavirus) and another is best described as an "Infodemic." The first is a virus transmitted between people, the second is people transmitting anything and everything they see and/or hear about a virus. I work in healthcare and have been watching this since it first surfaced about six to eight weeks ago. I am a training officer for an ambulance agency and a designated infection control officer.  I get my information from vetted sources, not Facebook, Twitter, or for the most part, mass media. The media has its place, showing us where outbreaks are but that's about all they are good for. I've been to meetings at various levels about containment and response to the virus. I'm researching this daily to take care of my people. I use the CDC, the WHO, the International Society for Infectious Diseases, and other researched and evidence based sources for my information. 

Here's what we know. The COVID-19 is a coronavirus, similar to the viruses that caused SARS and MERS. I'm sure many of you recall that both of those were going to "kill us all" in the not so distant past. The common cold is a coronavirus as well. These are caused by the same type of virus, so named because of the ridged, "crown like" appearance of the virus under intense magnification. "Corona" is Latin for "crown." It most likely originated in an animal of some kind and bats are the most likely suspect right now. It appears that it originated in or around Wuhan, China, possibly in a food market where live and dead animals are sold side by side. Wuhan is a major city with a considerable amount of international travelers to and from the city. Corona viruses generally cause flu-like symptoms including congestion, fever, cough, and body aches in addition to respiratory issues. COVID-19, SARS and MERS cause lower respiratory infections which generally lead to pneumonia and regardless of whether they turn to pneumonia or not, they can be fatal. There is no cure and treatment consists of supportive care of the symptoms. All that being said, I also just described the flu. You know, the disease some of us get vaccinated for and some of us don't by our own choice! While there is no definitive information on transmission, it is incredibly likely that it is transmitted like the flu, through droplets and close contact. The flu swabs or tests for the flu will not catch COVID-19, they are different viruses and the flu test doesn't detect COVID-19 and vice versa. If you have a weakened immune system, have other chronic diseases, have a weakened respiratory system, or are over the age of 65, you have a higher likelihood of contracting COVID-19, just as you have a greater risk of catching the flu. The big difference between COVID-19 and the flu to the average person is that most people with the flu are likely to infect 1-2 other people while those infected with COVID-19 are likely to infect 2-3 other people. That's it! 

Conspiracy theories abound. It is unlikely that this escaped from a weapons laboratory in China for a couple of reasons. It's just not virulent enough to be weapons grade anything. It's transmitted between humans but not really efficiently and it looks like it needs to start with a host, meaning that it's not easily spread in a gas or powder. Lysol did not know this was coming, that's not why they say on labels as far back as 2007 that it kills the human coronavirus. Lysol put that on their labels because they knew that the common cold is a coronavirus and that people were terrified of SARS (also a coronavirus, remember?) because of the media. 

Keeping it clean. Be aware that for any of the products that kill a coronavirus to be effective, they generally need to be sprayed on and left for one minute or allowed to air dry. Anything else is just smearing the viruses around, assuming that they were even there in the first place. Always consult the product label for best use. Hand sanitizers need to cover the hands and then allowed to air dry. Rubbing them until they are dry just smears whatever you're trying to kill all over your hands. If you have symptoms, a mask will very likely prevent you spreading the disease. A mask, shy of an N-95 (or higher number), is not likely to prevent catching the disease. Even then, the N95 needs to be worn properly with a good seal. Surgical masks are not intended to protect the wearer, they are intended to prevent the wearer spreading whatever they are carrying. They might help the healthy but that's a big "might" as there is no evidence proving it. As for the wipes at Wal-Mart, grocery stores, and anywhere else people use a shopping cart, you're really just moving the germs around on the surface. Wash your hands regularly and cover your mouth and nose when you cough or sneeze. I feel silly having to tell people that because anything else is just gross. 

There is no reason for this to disrupt trade, markets, meetings, concerts, movies, or anything else. It is essentially a different version of the flu caused by a different type of virus. To put it in terms of dogs, not all dogs are Doberman Pinchers but it's also true that not all dogs are Chihuahuas. Viruses, like dogs, come in all shapes and sizes and are known for different characteristics. Does it really matter what dog bites you? Regardless, you're still bit! Same with COVID-19 and the flu, similar symptoms, similar treatments. Go about your business! Until the last two weeks, the flu had killed more people since October than had contracted COVID-19! Flu deaths this season are about four times higher than COVID-19 and I imagine both will start declining because everyone is seeing a doctor for every sniffle now. 

This is something for you to really think about. The question that is just beginning to circulate now is whether this really is new or if it has been around and we're just now diagnosing it. Maybe six months or a year ago we would have shrugged and said "it's not the flu, just some other virus. Get some rest." 

The virus can live on surfaces but the length of time is unclear so far. It may be as short as two hours or as long as several days. Prior to cleaning a room after a confirmed case left, about 80% of surfaces had the live virus on them. After disinfection, this dropped to 0%. Standard household cleaner can and do kill it when used properly. There are several listed by the EPA now and many news outlets have listed them or a link to them. Check the labels if in doubt!

2 hours ago, MedicAR said:

This thread is an example of why and how everyone is panicking right now.  First and foremost, kids appear to be darn near immune.  It's a complete mystery but they do.  Just check with the CDC.  Seattle is going nuts despite the fact that the majority of their cases were all from the same nursing home.  

We have two problems right now. One is an epidemic known as COVID-19 (coronavirus) and another is best described as an "Infodemic." The first is a virus transmitted between people, the second is people transmitting anything and everything they see and/or hear about a virus. I work in healthcare and have been watching this since it first surfaced about six to eight weeks ago. I am a training officer for an ambulance agency and a designated infection control officer.  I get my information from vetted sources, not Facebook, Twitter, or for the most part, mass media. The media has its place, showing us where outbreaks are but that's about all they are good for. I've been to meetings at various levels about containment and response to the virus. I'm researching this daily to take care of my people. I use the CDC, the WHO, the International Society for Infectious Diseases, and other researched and evidence based sources for my information. 

Here's what we know. The COVID-19 is a coronavirus, similar to the viruses that caused SARS and MERS. I'm sure many of you recall that both of those were going to "kill us all" in the not so distant past. The common cold is a coronavirus as well. These are caused by the same type of virus, so named because of the ridged, "crown like" appearance of the virus under intense magnification. "Corona" is Latin for "crown." It most likely originated in an animal of some kind and bats are the most likely suspect right now. It appears that it originated in or around Wuhan, China, possibly in a food market where live and dead animals are sold side by side. Wuhan is a major city with a considerable amount of international travelers to and from the city. Corona viruses generally cause flu-like symptoms including congestion, fever, cough, and body aches in addition to respiratory issues. COVID-19, SARS and MERS cause lower respiratory infections which generally lead to pneumonia and regardless of whether they turn to pneumonia or not, they can be fatal. There is no cure and treatment consists of supportive care of the symptoms. All that being said, I also just described the flu. You know, the disease some of us get vaccinated for and some of us don't by our own choice! While there is no definitive information on transmission, it is incredibly likely that it is transmitted like the flu, through droplets and close contact. The flu swabs or tests for the flu will not catch COVID-19, they are different viruses and the flu test doesn't detect COVID-19 and vice versa. If you have a weakened immune system, have other chronic diseases, have a weakened respiratory system, or are over the age of 65, you have a higher likelihood of contracting COVID-19, just as you have a greater risk of catching the flu. The big difference between COVID-19 and the flu to the average person is that most people with the flu are likely to infect 1-2 other people while those infected with COVID-19 are likely to infect 2-3 other people. That's it! 

Conspiracy theories abound. It is unlikely that this escaped from a weapons laboratory in China for a couple of reasons. It's just not virulent enough to be weapons grade anything. It's transmitted between humans but not really efficiently and it looks like it needs to start with a host, meaning that it's not easily spread in a gas or powder. Lysol did not know this was coming, that's not why they say on labels as far back as 2007 that it kills the human coronavirus. Lysol put that on their labels because they knew that the common cold is a coronavirus and that people were terrified of SARS (also a coronavirus, remember?) because of the media. 

Keeping it clean. Be aware that for any of the products that kill a coronavirus to be effective, they generally need to be sprayed on and left for one minute or allowed to air dry. Anything else is just smearing the viruses around, assuming that they were even there in the first place. Always consult the product label for best use. Hand sanitizers need to cover the hands and then allowed to air dry. Rubbing them until they are dry just smears whatever you're trying to kill all over your hands. If you have symptoms, a mask will very likely prevent you spreading the disease. A mask, shy of an N-95 (or higher number), is not likely to prevent catching the disease. Even then, the N95 needs to be worn properly with a good seal. Surgical masks are not intended to protect the wearer, they are intended to prevent the wearer spreading whatever they are carrying. They might help the healthy but that's a big "might" as there is no evidence proving it. As for the wipes at Wal-Mart, grocery stores, and anywhere else people use a shopping cart, you're really just moving the germs around on the surface. Wash your hands regularly and cover your mouth and nose when you cough or sneeze. I feel silly having to tell people that because anything else is just gross. 

There is no reason for this to disrupt trade, markets, meetings, concerts, movies, or anything else. It is essentially a different version of the flu caused by a different type of virus. To put it in terms of dogs, not all dogs are Doberman Pinchers but it's also true that not all dogs are Chihuahuas. Viruses, like dogs, come in all shapes and sizes and are known for different characteristics. Does it really matter what dog bites you? Regardless, you're still bit! Same with COVID-19 and the flu, similar symptoms, similar treatments. Go about your business! Until the last two weeks, the flu had killed more people since October than had contracted COVID-19! Flu deaths this season are about four times higher than COVID-19 and I imagine both will start declining because everyone is seeing a doctor for every sniffle now. 

This is something for you to really think about. The question that is just beginning to circulate now is whether this really is new or if it has been around and we're just now diagnosing it. Maybe six months or a year ago we would have shrugged and said "it's not the flu, just some other virus. Get some rest." 

The virus can live on surfaces but the length of time is unclear so far. It may be as short as two hours or as long as several days. Prior to cleaning a room after a confirmed case left, about 80% of surfaces had the live virus on them. After disinfection, this dropped to 0%. Standard household cleaner can and do kill it when used properly. There are several listed by the EPA now and many news outlets have listed them or a link to them. Check the labels if in doubt!

(thumbsu

I'm not here to pick on anyone but we need to clarify a few things.  None of this is personal, it's just putting out accurate information and trying to put the infodemic to rest.  

On 3/4/2020 at 11:59 AM, rogue14 said:

This is correct.  Surgical masks are intended to keep thing IN, not OUT.  It's in the name "surgical mask" meaning a mask for surgery.  They don't put them on the patients for surgery, the staff wears them.  

On 3/6/2020 at 3:59 PM, AndyFish said:

Wash your damn hands for 15 seconds with hot water and soap and you'll be good to go.   

Very close!   Actively wash the front and back of your hands for about 20 seconds at a minimum under the hottest tolerable water then rinse.  

On 3/6/2020 at 6:08 PM, Golden Memories said:

NoBody is starting a panic, I was just stating facts and trying to provide some safety tips 

Emerald city was Just Cancelled and reed knows what they are doing 

They virtually had  to as almost all of the major guests bailed , why do you think they did that 

Corona is more the a flu and more contagious I just did c2e2 and myself and my friend BOTH returned with a slammin case of the flu  Convention centers are incubators , and I just wanted  to provide some insight 

I am not going to quote figures and statistics Just note the following

MAJOR CONVENTIONS ACROSS THE COUNTRY HAVE BEEN CANCELLED 

cities in china have become Ghost towns 

Italy has virtually shut down 

SF and San Diego are in states of emergency  

None of these people are stupid, maybe they are being overly cautious , maybe not 

But again this is far more dangerous then the flu 

People between 18 and 50 who have strong immune systems are at minimal risk of dying but not of catching some form of the virus which has so far mutated into 2 distinct forms

I myself will be following my planned  schedule this year and will be going to ace Boston in 2 weeks 

So again, some safety tips 

Wash your hand as frequently as possible, and use hand sanitizer

Try to avoid touching you face

When using public restrooms , carry a small  spray bottle, and spray and cover the seat 

If they flushs are manual don't touch directly, use a paper towel 

Wash with hot water and soap 

Bring your own food 

DO  NOT BRING KIDS,  ESPECIALLY INFANTS INTO ANY CONVENTION CENTER 

They are especially vulnerable 

Don't order any food anywhere which is kept out in the  open like popcorn , pizza etc .

The death toll (that we know of) is minimal, but that does not mean catching this is fun 

It lives in your respritory system and can cause permanent damage and even re-infect once you believe you are cured 

Do what you have to, but be smart and be safe 

I look forward to seeing my friends and fellow dealers in Boston 

Than panic was started long before this, so technically, you're right no one here is starting a panic.  

Emerald City was canceled because of panic.  Reed is not doing anything based on solid medical evidence, they are doing it because everyone they had booked for the show was backing out.  It's not clinical, it's financial.  

You are correct, COVID-19 is not the flu but it is incredibly similar.  Each person with the flu generally infects 1-2 more people.  Each person with COVID-19 generally infects 2-3 people.  It's almost twice as contagious but the real threat is still very low.  They are similar in the way they are transmitted and the symptoms are very similar.  COVID-19 appears to bring on respiratory infection more frequently than the flu but if one is reasonably healthy and seeks care as soon as symptoms appear, they should be very manageable.  

Major conventions have been cancelled, of that there is no doubt.  Not just comic conventions but all kinds of conventions.  Just like Emerald City, it's not based on a clinical reason but because everyone is terrified of what is in the media and they know that if people don't attend then no one makes money.  It's better to cancel than to have an unsuccessful convention or show.  

Chinese cities are relative ghost towns.  It's not because everyone is ill or dead but because they have been told to shelter in place.  

Italy is not shut down.  They have severely restricted travel in and out of the country but life inside Italy goes on.  They are more cautious and schools are closed which has potential to strain the entire country but that's not the same as shut down. 

As of 1017 CDT on March 8, 2019, there are 3 cases in San Diego and 9 in San Francisco with no deaths in either city.  If they are in a state of emergency, it is solely because they are stupid.  

Washing hands is the best possible answer.  Hand sanitizer generally gives a false sense of security and is really a stopgap until one can wash their hands.  95% of people rub the sanitizer until it is dry which is wrong.  Doing this only spreads contaminants all over the hands with little to no killing of pathogens.  To use it properly, cover your hands and let it air dry but then still wash as soon as possible.  

Avoid touching your face, this is correct. 

None of this is spread through contact with toilet seats and this is just making the fear worse.  COVID-19 is a virus and it needs to be inside its host.  Intact skin is nature's strongest barrier against pathogens.  Unless you have broken skin on and around your bottom that makes contact with the toilet seat, you are at no risk of catching this from a toilet seat.  

I hope to all that's holy you are actually washing your hands after using the restroom.  If you are, then there is no need to avoid contact with the flushing mechanisms.  Yes, the virus can live on that surface, but it's unlikely to be put there from normal use of the facilities.  Now, if someone were to cough or sneeze on it, then yes, there is a great likelihood of the virus being present but as long as your skin is intact and you don't touch your face from the toilet/urinal to the sink, you will be fine.  

Kids are NOT especially vulnerable.  Mysteriously, they have a very low infection rate compared to adults on this one.  If you're worried about the flu or the common cold (also a coronavirus), then by all means keep them at home.  If the only reason to keep them home is COVID-19 then you're going over the top.  

There is no evidence that the virus lives in the respiratory system.  It is thought to be spread through respiratory droplets but research is ongoing.  Respiratory droplets are any tiny droplets expelled through breathing, coughing, sneezing, or even speaking.  This is why the surgical masks are effective at prevention of spreading the disease, not prevention of catching the disease.  These droplets need to make contact with the mucosa in the nose, mouth, or possibly the tissues of the eyes in order to infect a person.  Even this type of contact may not be enough if the person's immune system is strong enough.  It does cause respiratory illness, specifically pneumonia and that pneumonia is the leading cause of death in victims of COVID-19.  If you have pre-existing respiratory problems, then you should be far more cautious  

On 3/6/2020 at 8:13 PM, NP_Gresham said:

This is true

Only the N-95 will protect you and those are used in combination with gloves and gown.

There is a process of donning and doffing that needs to be followed or even the N-95 is worthless. Additionally, users need to be 'fit tested' as centain facial features such as beards will not allow the N-95 to protect the user. 

Proper hand-washing is the most effective method to avoid problems.

Mostly true.  N-95 or higher (they go up to N-100) is thought to be effective.  Again, research is ongoing but this appears to be accurate.  Gloves and gown are primarily so that caregivers can doff them before moving to another patient to prevent cross contamination.  Eye protection is recommended by CDC as well and they recommend full eye coverage, including the sides as they are still determining if ocular exposure is a real means of transmission.  I would be perfectly comfortable treating someone with COVID-19 with no gloves or gown as long as I didn't expect to move on to other patients.  In fact, I doubt I would use a mask or goggles either.  I would mask the patient and wash my hands once care is complete.  N-95s do need to be fit tested and should only be used once.  An imperfect fit will provide protection, just not as much protection as a properly fitting ask will.  

Here is a live map with all the cases on the planet.  The interesting part is the green numbers at the top right.  That's the number of recovered patients and it is a number I haven't seen in the media.  For those not so good at math, more than 50% of the confirmed cases are recovered (60,659 out of 107,658) and just over 3% have died (3,653 out of 107,658) and more than 81% of the deaths are in China (2,986 out of 3,653).  The fear and paranoia of the disease are far worse than the disease itself.  

On 3/8/2020 at 8:50 AM, MedicAR said:

Each person with the flu generally infects 1-2 more people.  Each person with COVID-19 generally infects 2-3 people.  

I’m no expert.  But I would venture to say that we do not REALLY have enough data and/or experience YET to strongly support this.

Again 

The purpose of this thread was to make my fellow collectors and dealers aware of some basic safety measures

NOT to tell anyone to stay home or to panic, exactly the opposite ,

I was all packed and ready when Ace comicon cancelled their show in Boston and plan on attending any show this season which has not been cancelled 

I usually avoid responding when the thread gets out of control   or sidetracked , but this thread contains a lot of mis-information which may harm my fellow collectors. I generally ignore anything from any major news outlets as designed to put forth a particular agenda. I have been following this VERY closely from the beginning from a myriad of sources back when they told this this came from Bat-soup and we had nothing to worry about as transmission was extremely difficult. 

so here are some of whAt I believe to be credible facts. interept them as you wish :

1) There is something someone knows that we do not, at least a dozen Medical conventions  alone across the country have been cancelled   here is list of event cancellations which represent BILLIONS of $$$ in lost revenue including the NBA season https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=nba+cancels+season&view=detail&mid=E4C4A5B9686ABD3F5401E4C4A5B9686ABD3F5401&FORM=VIRE and the country of Italy https://time.com/5801497/italy-shops-restaurants-coronavirus/

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2020/03/05/coronavirus-update-list-canceled-events/4950641002/

are all these entities in a state of panic  or stupid? 

2) No one knows how many cases there actually are in this country because testing has been so sparse, The mayor of NY has stated he can no longer provide numbers as the case numbers seem to change so fast ONE SINGLE PERSON IN NY HAS BEEN DEEMED TO BE RESPONSIBLE FOR 50+ cases so far. This person was a professional middle aged attorney so one would assume he washed his hands regularly 

3)  I live in NYC where people over 60 have been advised to stay home as much as possible

4) This is not the flu, this is serious virus whose effects are still not completely known with the exception of the following

1) This is a mutating virus, there are at the moment 2 known strains

2) It can re-ocour after a person is seemingly cured

3) It is very easily transmissible 

4) The Mortality rate seems to be  around 3-4% with 127k cases worldwide and 4,700 deaths . this is centered mainly in seniors , older men and immune compromised persons Generally the younger you are the less chance of a fatal case, from near 0 in children to about 8-9% in the +75 group This does not mean that the younger group is immune, the biggest danger is that a young person can contract the illness , have no symptoms then go home to to or visit a more vulnerable recipient 

5) The national Guard has already been called up in my state to establish a containment zone .

https://www.mcall.com/coronavirus/ct-nw-grand-princess-cruise-ship-coronavirus-20200310-el52tmurrjbshnzs6l3toz5rhi-story.html

So again THESE PEOPLE KNOW SOMETHING WE DO NOT KNOW

I am not urging anyone to go home and hide under their beds or to run out and buy hundreds of rolls of toilet paper 

(whats  up with that?) Personally even though I am 60+ I will be setting up at any event which is held and urge my fellow collectors to attend but to be safe and carefull

Unfortunately I see this year as a write-off as I cannot at this point see any municipality allowing a mass attendance but I can adapt

Facing facts is not panicing