• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

online comic cover database?
1 1

9 posts in this topic

hi.  Im cataloging all my Copper and Modern books, and rather than scan them all, is there a website (either dealer or collection organizer) that has scans of all comics published?  Including variants, 2nd 3rd etc printings??  AND where the snakes are not lo res that you cant read the print?  Ive tried GoCollect, ComicCollector but they have a lot but not all.  Free is preferred but Id pay a fee to access everything.  thanx

I use CLZ comics to catalogue my collection and it has all the pictures of the covers. There's been a few rare comics that weren't in there that I had to manually add but if I read your question right I think it will help you out.

thanx  does it include the 80s b/w garbage etc?  I noticed that Overstreet doesn't have many of the indie comics published over the years.  Im not surprised really, just that SOMEONE must be trying to be all inclusive!  

yes.  Comics.org has what appears to be everything.  problem was the scans are lo res. The details that determine a variant, or 2nd printing etc are hard to see or read.  I know expecting hi res scans of everything is probably not out there, but I figured you guys would know if it exists!

1 hour ago, Steelrain41 said:

I use CLZ comics to catalogue my collection and it has all the pictures of the covers. There's been a few rare comics that weren't in there that I had to manually add but if I read your question right I think it will help you out.

I downloaded the CLZ desktop version and took a look around. It really does everything! Scans are soft though, so not a solution I was hoping for. (also the small insets are the same scans as the larger popup images when you click on them...  so bigger image but same detail)   But CLZ is a great reference - I can see why you recommended it.

I created my own database and am hoping to add images (preferably in bulk) so an online solution would be more doable than a self-enclosed locked application

48 minutes ago, Aman619 said:

yes.  Comics.org has what appears to be everything.  problem was the scans are lo res. The details that determine a variant, or 2nd printing etc are hard to see or read.  I know expecting hi res scans of everything is probably not out there, but I figured you guys would know if it exists!

You're not going to find a high res equivalent (or anything close) to comics.org. I could be wrong but I don't think such a site exists.

I'm not sure how high resolution you want things to be, but Grand Comics Database (comics.org) is crowd-editable like Wikipedia. If the scan in the database isn't good enough to tell what's going on, you can upload a new one. There is something of a vetting process to become a contributor, but I would think adding to a publicly accessible database would be preferable to doing all that work just for yourself.

yes it would.  But Im trying to have scans at my "fingertips": meaning a click away, and not have to manually scan 1000s of comics!  What Im after is to be looking at my copy in my database, with all its data but without a scan, and click once and SEE the book.   I haven't figured out their system in order to solve that.  the urls are not predictive or scriptable, or they might be with a lot more trial and error. Makes me wish I only had one magazine box of comics!!

Edited by Aman619