• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

the examples-based comic book grading tool

13 posts in this topic

Does anyone use the example based comic book grading tool? I've tried grading several books using it and I'm wondering what people think of it:

https://www.comicbookgradingtool.com/

(Background: I have a 855 book collection from my childhood, with issues ranging from 1964 - 1976. I first graded some of them in 1990 using the Overstreet Guide, No. 20, but I'm wondering if the grading tool will result in a more thorough grade.)

Any suggestions or thoughts will be greatly appreciated!

I have never used that site and did not even know it existed, seems to be accurate from the little bit I played with it and it is showing you pics of the actual defects so it is IMO a very good learning tool.

You may want to also use this along with that site...

https://comics.ha.com/tutorial/comics-grading.s?show=comicdefinitions

18 hours ago, My60sComics said:

Does anyone use the example based comic book grading tool? I've tried grading several books using it and I'm wondering what people think of it:

(Background: I have a 855 book collection from my childhood, with issues ranging from 1964 - 1976. I first graded some of them in 1990 using the Overstreet Guide, No. 20, but I'm wondering if the grading tool will result in a more thorough grade.)

It's grades are very strict on certain defects, much stricter than CGC but it is a good place to start identifying the various imperfections that can be found in comics.

On 3/4/2020 at 4:54 PM, My60sComics said:

There's somethinf screwey here. I just tried it and the first thing I did was choose an itherwise perfect comic with water stains. Got a 2.5 which we all know is bogus.

My best tool is the overstreet grading guide, it's what I would recomend instead.

7 hours ago, marvelmaniac said:

I have never used that site and did not even know it existed, seems to be accurate from the little bit I played with it and it is showing you pics of the actual defects so it is IMO a very good learning tool.

You may want to also use this along with that site...

https://comics.ha.com/tutorial/comics-grading.s?show=comicdefinitions

Thanks, guys, for the comments. I'll try using the three tools (Heritage Auctions site, Overstreet and the Example based grading) to see if I can merge them into a consistent grade. On the whole, I don't mind a strict grade resulting from the Examples based tool if I can apply some judgement afterwards to assess (or modify) the grade it comes up with.

I put one of the comics I graded on the PGM forum, to test out my use of the Example Based Grading Tool. The comic I graded is Amazing Spider-Man No. 28, Sept. 1965, a book I read many, many times as a kid. :)

16 hours ago, My60sComics said:

Thanks, guys, for the comments. I'll try using the three tools (Heritage Auctions site, Overstreet and the Example based grading) to see if I can merge them into a consistent grade. On the whole, I don't mind a strict grade resulting from the Examples based tool if I can apply some judgement afterwards to assess (or modify) the grade it comes up with.

Search for etanick on Youtube as well, he has some very informative grading tutorials there.

Just remember that grading is the "Overall" condition of the book.

It becomes more difficult when you have a higher grade book with only one significant defect that would lower the grade, lower to what is the question...An example would be, you have a book that is without doubt a NM 9.4 but, the book has a 1/2" spine split from being mishandled, is the otherwise NM 9.4 book going to drop to a VG/FN 5.0 where a 1/2" spine split is allowed?

Hence, the reason for CGC Green Qualified Labels.

I have a few books of my own that had only one significant defect that kept the book from being a higher grade IMO and in my list of books it is noted that way, GD 2.0 (Would be a VG/FN 5.0 except for...)

Just played around a bit with it.  Haven't looked at it in quite a while.  The one thing that I would advise is that this tool doesn't seem to do much with the "accumulation of defects".  If you add a bunch of small defects that wouldn't individually lower the grade of a comic much, but there are a lot of them, it will give you a higher grade than you could expect from CGC.

22 hours ago, My60sComics said:

I put one of the comics I graded on the PGM forum, to test out my use of the Example Based Grading Tool. The comic I graded is Amazing Spider-Man No. 28, Sept. 1965, a book I read many, many times as a kid. :)

Thanks, guys, for the feedback. I came up with a 4.5 for my copy of the Amazing Spider-Man No. 28 using the Example Based Grading Tool (see my post in the "Buddy can you spare a grade" forum where I posted ASM #28 for other grades). It looks like I will have to be more critical in my grading. :(

I'll search out etanick on YouTube too. :)

Edited by My60sComics

I tried both of them: (1)comicbookgradingtool and (2)comics.ha.com/tutorial/comics-grading.s?show=comicdefinitions 

POV: both instruments are useful in their ways, better to grade the book hybridly, using two tools at the same time. And I will agree with suggestion about etanick tutorial on Youtube, they are really informative and will guide you through grading proccess.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Editor at Paperell(https://paperell.com/buy-college-research-paper) where you can buy college research paper works online for yourself. I would love to discuss about comics of the late of 70s.I can`t remember when I exactly read my first book, but I remember about how subversive and liberated  I felt as a finished. My favorite quote is - “You can create your hero as a psychopath, you might draw gut-splattering violence, and name it a "graphic-story novel," but comic books will remain being incredibly dumb."

Edited by Chris_80

There's another one I've played with some at https://comicbookrealm.com/example-based-grading.

As someone mentioned about the OP's site, it seems to basically just grade for the worst features, rather than taking the overall condition into consideration.