• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

X-men 1 help

21 posts in this topic

I have an X men 1 that my wife had gotten  me. she paid 2500 for it. Herorestoration wants 500 here is what he said.

"Hi Chris,
it will take 5-7 hours to remove the adhesive, the extra staple, and reverse the spine roll. Cost for the project would be $500."
The tape has been removed and original staples are holding cover.

Is this worth it considering what I paid already? I am new to  grading and just got back into collecting after 20 years.

20200303_163908.jpg

20200303_163940.jpg

20200303_164003.jpg

I cannot give you exact answers, however, it seems that if someone answers an unanswered thread others will soon follow, so...

Do you plan on sending this book in to CGC to be graded?

The book appears to be a GD- 1.8 IMO, 

I do not send my books in for grading, however, from what I have read on the boards a CGC Universal Blue Label GD- 1.8 is much better than a  (GD+ 2.5/GD/VG 3.0 ??) Restored Purple Label if that is what restoration brings.

According to GoCollect.com a CGC graded X-Men 1 GD- 1.8 is selling for $3100.00, Purple Label?

What is your personal criteria for being ‘worth it’? We all have different financial situations and collection preferences.

The book is low grade already, removing the tape wont increase the grade or worth of the comic. It's not worth it on a financial level but it might be worth it for you personally if you think it's an eyesore and would rather pay 500$ than seeing it.

Also, removing an extra staple creates extra staple holes which are as much a detriment to the grade as extra staples, so there is nothing gained from it.

9 hours ago, marvelmaniac said:

I cannot give you exact answers, however, it seems that if someone answers an unanswered thread others will soon follow, so...

Do you plan on sending this book in to CGC to be graded?

I do not send my books in for grading, however, from what I have read on the boards a CGC Universal Blue Label GD- 1.8 is much better than a  (GD+ 2.5/GD/VG 3.0 ??) Restored Purple Label if that is what restoration brings.

According to GoCollect.com a CGC graded X-Men 1 GD- 1.8 is selling for $3100.00, Purple Label?

Yes I would like to just to know what I have and if I keep it I would like it encased.

8 hours ago, revat said:

What is your personal criteria for being ‘worth it’? We all have different financial situations and collection preferences.

Just have a number means alot to me and I can afford it . I might use it to ugrade to a better grade.

2 hours ago, William-James88 said:

The book is low grade already, removing the tape wont increase the grade or worth of the comic. It's not worth it on a financial level but it might be worth it for you personally if you think it's an eyesore and would rather pay 500$ than seeing it.

Also, removing an extra staple creates extra staple holes which are as much a detriment to the grade as extra staples, so there is nothing gained from it.

The tape is removed already it is tape residue . MIke from http://www.herorestoration.net/ told me that the tape residue will eventually rot the paper. I would like to have it at its best cause I would like to use it to upgrade to a better grade in the future if the opportunity comes along or i find a good deal other than ebay.

2 hours ago, Xanitron said:

The tape is removed already it is tape residue . MIke from http://www.herorestoration.net/ told me that the tape residue will eventually rot the paper. I would like to have it at its best cause I would like to use it to upgrade to a better grade in the future if the opportunity comes along or i find a good deal other than ebay.

You can use it as it is now. If this is not your final copy then there is no use in spending more money on it. Let someone else buy it off you instead and then they can choose to do what they want with it. Ot will be easier to sell that way with someone thinking they can improve on it. The price you got this at is not a deal, so any extra money you put in it will be lost since the grade wont be improved upon. This comic will always show signs of amateur restoration no matter what you do and it will be penalized for it.

11 hours ago, Xanitron said:

Yes I can.

I would go for it only if they're using non-restorative methods to remove the residue. It will increase the presentation of the book (if you decide to keep it). If they're using restoration methods, then the value may not increase for a potential upgrade.

Idk if the "5-7 hours" method is restoration or not.

9 hours ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

I would go for it only if they're using non-restorative methods to remove the residue. It will increase the presentation of the book (if you decide to keep it). If they're using restoration methods, then the value may not increase for a potential upgrade.

This!

On 3/5/2020 at 10:12 AM, marvelmaniac said:

Since amateur restoration should still get a blue label (tape, extra staples) I had not considered purple label. But now that the OP says it's aboit removing an adhesive, that sounds like a chemical process which could result in a purple label. Since the extra staple holes and gash would still be there, the grade would still be below 2.0 but with a purple label. So the OP could be paying more to lower the value.

Edited by William-James88

13 hours ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

Idk if the "5-7 hours" method is restoration or not.

Mike at hero restoration said this would not be a restoration. 

3 hours ago, RadDude said:

Those 2 aren't restoration.

They are. Any addition to a comic to fix it is restoration but some will count towards purple label and some wont. There is even a treshold for the amount of glue on a comic before it goes from blue to purple. It just depends on your definition. 

I was using the following from the grading guide provided by heritage (which basically copies Overstreet)

Restored Comics  

When restoration of comics first began, it was a collection of crude, damaging attempts to preserve or fix comics exhibiting defects like tears or missing pieces. At first using tape, glue and color pens, restoration soon evolved, utilizing more advanced techniques like chemical baths and deacidification.

18 hours ago, William-James88 said:

Ask him what he will be using to remove the adhesive and let us know what he says.

He replied with Hydrocarbons and said the residue will rot the paper .

5 hours ago, Xanitron said:

He replied with Hydrocarbons and said the residue will rot the paper .

Thanks. For the first part, not surr what Hydrocarbons are exactly but i was told that to avoid restoration you need to do "Dry cleaning using erasers and substances like absorbene" 

Now, about the rotting, the adhesive has been there as long as the tape has, logically. And this is how the book looks like today. A few more years of holding onto it while looking to upgrade wont make it worse than the past 60 years did.

Keep your money and enjoy the book. What's most attractive about this book rigjt now is how affordable it is. That's what will interest buyers when you want to sell it. Spending more on it will take away its best attribute.

Also since you were ready to spend more on it, best sell this book and buy a nicer copy. You'll come out a bigger winner that way.

Edited by William-James88