• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is trading original art amongst 2 Regular art collectors common (no dealers)
3 3

22 posts in this topic

I’ve noticed lots of art for sale .... but rarely see ‘art for trade’ by art collectors.

i was just wondering if it’s common or rather quite rare to be able to complete a trade with another member (not art dealer) where both people win and there is no loser.

Ive never actually completed a trade yet, but always remain open to the idea. 

just wondering your opinions....

cheers

AL

Backing up a step... why would a dealer trade, if his purpose in acquiring pieces is simply to sell them? I guess if he thought he could trade an overvalued piece for an undervalued piece, then raise the price on the received piece to its "proper" value. Whereas I would think most trades are done for reasons other than simply fair market value, e.g. "I have two pages from X, and you have two pages from Y, and we'd both rather have one of each" or the like.

6 minutes ago, p41981 said:

I’ve noticed lots of art for sale .... but rarely see ‘art for trade’ by art collectors.

i was just wondering if it’s common or rather quite rare to be able to complete a trade with another member (not art dealer) where both people win and there is no loser.

Ive never actually completed a trade yet, but always remain open to the idea. 

just wondering your opinions....

cheers

AL

I totally get your point. I just wanted regular art collectors view points ..... not people trading in their art + money to a dealer for their art etc.

I have traded with collectors before. Federico B and I did an international trade and I know that Shannon S and I did one (or two in succession maybe) as well. It is a little harder than just a straight sale but it can be done. I think Federico reached out to me and we went from there (ended up 2 pages each way i think) and I think I put out feelers looking to trade some of my pieces for volume (which I then traded to a dealer) when Shannon and I did the deed.

Talk talk talk. Usually it's with a collector who has similar taste, so you find out what they like and then try to round up some things to make them happy.

As a side note, this is why many collectors "hide" things from their CAF galleries.
You offer someone a good trade. They respond they are interested!... but then later night they go check out your CAF gallery and the next day start demanding grails from your collection to get the deal done. 

I have traded art with other collectors over the years. Sometimes I am approached by someone, sometimes I have something for sale and they might want to trade instead. I am open if its something that interests me. If they approach me about a piece not for sale the piece in trade has to be something I would like as much r more than the piece that is leaving my collection. Sometimes as someone said above it may include money to balance out the value of the trade items.

When I approach someone about a trade I usually look to see if they have a wantlist or what other pieces in their collection are in common with artwork from my collection. I have had a few trade that went smooth, offer either to me or from me and the other agrees. Most times there is a bit of back and forth, many times the value one or the other places on their piece. Trade pieces are a very very small part of my collection but I am always open to trade ither way.

I just let go of a piece I did not anticipate selling for many, many years. I reached out to someone on CAF about one of their pieces, and they responded with a trade offer (+cash) that was so strong that I agreed. I like dealing with Premium members who update their galleries regularly as a sort of ‘safety net’ vis-à-vis ‘who ships first’ - I’ve never had a problem. 

I did do one trade, but it was a little odd. Someone had pieces I liked but wouldn’t sell them. He did see something up for auction he liked. I agreed to bid at the auction, and if I won, we would swap the art. I did win, for much less than I expected, and he honored our deal. I actually felt a little guilty about getting too good a deal, so I threw in a Sunday section of the Phantom I had lying around. I never heard from him again, which made me feel worse.

I love trading, especially with the way prices have risen so high on many things.  Trading gives me a chance at getting things I wouldn't have any chance of buying with cash.  But the stars have to align - you have something they want, they have something you want, both are willing to part with it, both have reasonable views of the value.  I've done quite a few over the years.

I've done several trades with fellow collectors in the past year or so. I feel like they worked for both of us in each instance. It was nice getting new art with no $ involved other than respective shipping costs. No worries with who shipped first-both were fellow Premium CAF members and after a good bit of back and forth, no one alluded to/felt there was any real risk. Things went super-smooth every time. With one person, we ended up doing a second trade with a few months later that we both felt good about. Each time he and I both threw in smaller pieces to "even things out" so it was all good. For me though, the absolute BEST part of each transactions was the resulting communication/friendships that developed. Now we're emailing, texting and having phone conversations to just talk art and our great hobby. Very positive experiences all the way around!

4 minutes ago, RoscoeDeGama said:

I've done several trades with fellow collectors in the past year or so. I feel like they worked for both of us in each instance. It was nice getting new art with no $ involved other than respective shipping costs. No worries with who shipped first-both were fellow Premium CAF members and after a good bit of back and forth, no one alluded to/felt there was any real risk. Things went super-smooth every time. With one person, we ended up doing a second trade with a few months later that we both felt good about. Each time he and I both threw in smaller pieces to "even things out" so it was all good. For me though, the absolute BEST part of each transactions was the resulting communication/friendships that developed. Now we're emailing, texting and having phone conversations to just talk art and our great hobby. Very positive experiences all the way around!

Jimmy!

I will echo the last part of your comment and I have established several great contacts in the hobby that started with a discussion about a possible sale that never materialized. 

8 minutes ago, JadeGiant said:

Jimmy!

I will echo the last part of your comment and I have established several great contacts in the hobby that started with a discussion about a possible sale that never materialized. 

Dave, my friend! I ALWAYS look forward to trading stories and art thoughts with you.

I've traded art with:

Burkey (a few times)

Anthony (multiple times)

Fanfare (multiple times)

Moy

Levy

Giella

Peck

Kriozere

Benaka

Wktam

PRC

Frey

and a few others that I can't recall names for off the top of my head. Never had any issues, some were in person, some via mail.  

Edited by MYNAMEISLEGION

On 3/4/2020 at 8:29 PM, eewwnuk said:

Who mails out first?

If I know the person proposing the trade or his or her rep is good send at the same time. If its someone I have never delt with and don't know anyone else who has. Then I have him or her ship it first.