• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Who has had a more successful career Jim Lee or Todd McFarlane?

31 posts in this topic

I would say Todd has more financial wealth so for success I would say Todd 

I don't know, certainly after a certain amount of wealth, wouldn't other things like the your reputation as an artist or the respect and appreciation of your peers also have value?  Controlling various parts of the comic industry?  Influencing younger artists?  Contributing to the community or the world?  Or just the day-to-day enjoyment of your life?

For example, Todd made most of his money and did his best stuff many years ago (and he did it well), but Jim Lee built a career and continues to make important industry defining decisions everyday.

Are most of us more successful than NFL QB busts of old who got paid 30M+ but were out of the league in  2 years?  Sure we wouldn't mind trading our salaries, but there's more to it I think.

1 minute ago, revat said:

I don't know, certainly after a certain amount of wealth, wouldn't other things like the your reputation as an artist or the respect and appreciation of your peers also have value?  Controlling various parts of the comic industry?  Influencing younger artists?  Contributing to the community or the world?  Or just the day-to-day enjoyment of your life?

For example, Todd made most of his money and did his best stuff many years ago (and he did it well), but Jim Lee built a career and continues to make important industry defining decisions everyday.

Are most of us more successful than NFL QB busts of old who got paid 30M+ but were out of the league in  2 years?  Sure we wouldn't mind trading our salaries, but there's more to it I think.

I am more successful than Ryan Leaf. But that is not a very high bar.

4 minutes ago, seanfingh said:

I am more successful than Ryan Leaf. But that is not a very high bar.

are you more successful than jamarcus Russell?

If by more success you mean money then McFarlane...but if you mean more successful artist as in "who would I rather get a commission done by" then I'd go with Lee.

5 minutes ago, Blastaar said:

Let's not leave out that Lee is the Publisher and Chief Creative Officer at DC. 

Both have their pros. Personally, I think McFarlane due to his name being more well known outside comics, such as with his toylines. Jim Lee becoming the sole DC publisher is interesting and I'd like to see what he could do in this role since he's the only publisher now. Hopefully some good stuff!

It really depends on them. Did each of them reach their respective goals? Then their equally successful.

It's been brought up a few times that Todd made more money, but Jim isn't exactly hurting financially either.

Comics career and business career are two different things. I’d say Lee has had a more successful career in the field of comics, McFarlane has been more successful at amassing a huge fortune. 

I wonder why McFarlane has a kickstarter for his Spawn toys though 

13 minutes ago, dupont2005 said:

Comics career and business career are two different things. I’d say Lee has had a more successful career in the field of comics, McFarlane has been more successful at amassing a huge fortune. 

I wonder why McFarlane has a kickstarter for his Spawn toys though 

I think he wants to make it better? And the toy biz is not a great biz, not like it was in the 90's and even into early 2000s. This article mentions it.

https://www.superherohype.com/geek-culture/477995-todd-mcfarlane-to-remake-original-spawn-figures-with-kickstarter#/slide/1

As for the original question, McFarlane. He has branded himself well. At times, I feel like he comes across as a bit cocky but then again that is just me seeing him here and there. He does seem to have fun though with what he is doing.

Personally, I also prefer his art and work more than Lee. Perhaps more so back in the 90's. Of those big three, McFarlane, Lee and Liefeld, McFarlane ranks tops. Followed by Lee, and if I have to read or endure it, Liefeld. Now there is a guy who doesn't do himself any favours and hasn't for a long time.