• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comic Room Lighting

7 posts in this topic

Seeking advice please.

My comic room has zero sunlight coming in (outside sunblind and inside blinds) so I'm using 50w wide spread halogen mini spots in a 4 bulb tube light.

Will my books be affected long term?

I purchased 50 watt rather than higher wattage. The 4 spots are about as bright as one normal room lightbulb.

Has anyone had fading issue with their books (all are slabbed) using 50w halogens?

Thanks in advance :foryou:

1 hour ago, Beige said:

Seeking advice please.

My comic room has zero sunlight coming in (outside sunblind and inside blinds) so I'm using 50w wide spread halogen mini spots in a 4 bulb tube light.

Will my books be affected long term?

I purchased 50 watt rather than higher wattage. The 4 spots are about as bright as one normal room lightbulb.

Has anyone had fading issue with their books (all are slabbed) using 50w halogens?

Thanks in advance :foryou:

All I can contribute is that LED'sare less harmful and by a lot...

I just looked at the bulb box and they have UV blocking so should be all good I think?

9 hours ago, Beige said:

I just looked at the bulb box and they have UV blocking so should be all good I think?

That will help, but we can't eternally prevent the aging of these specimen.

If you have them (the comics) behind some UV-protective glass or film, I think that's about as much as you can do for them.

as capra said all you can do is minimize the amount of damage the books will receive. The Led bulbs would probably emit less harmful UV, but all light will eventually fade the books. I would minimize how much light they get and not stress to much about interior lights as they would probably take a really long time to do some serious damage. you can use glass and special bulbs to help reduce the amount of UV fading that can occur over time. I personally keep them stored away from heat light and try to control the temperature as much as I can. If I am displaying something its usually not a valuable book. 

Most comic shops use fluorescent lighting that is very high in UV Radiation, so...

As others have already stated, all you can do is minimize the UV your books/collectibles are exposed to, Sunlight is the worst...

From what I have read the issue with Halogen Bulbs is Heat.

https://www.nedcc.org/free-resources/preservation-leaflets/2.-the-environment/2.4-protection-from-light-damage