• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sports cards vs Comics
4 4

174 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, Mephisto said:

Prices are very strong for graded cards BUT there are many many trimming scandals going on right now. All one has to do is visit the Blowout forums and see the numerous threads of cards clearly trimmed (and other things) showing up in PSA and other grading company holders and being sold through major eBay auction sellers such as PWCC and even Heritage. If I were Heritage I would just avoid the headache and get out of sports cards as that's just a fraction of what they offer. One of the alleged trimmers is a former NFL player.  

There is currently a lawsuit filed against PWCC and PSA.

https://www.blowoutforums.com/showthread.php?t=1352880

Countless threads on the issue. It looks like Heritage pulled this one from a recent auction. 

https://www.blowoutforums.com/showthread.php?t=1352577

Low Grade 52 Mantle's being altered.

https://www.blowoutforums.com/showthread.php?t=1290614

I personally wouldn't touch sports cards as I can the bottom falling out on too many of them in the future.

Do you know how much trimming is missed by the comic grading companies.  It is no different then the card grading.  Where there is much money to be made comes the greed and the schemes.

Best thing to protect yourself as a collector is research...research...research.

Problem is... people put too much faith in grading companies on all categories of collectibles. 

1 minute ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

Yup, knockdowns, topsides, and farsies...I remember those days very well.

Is topsides the one you flipped and you could call front face or back facing? I loved farsies, but knockdowns was where you could make the most cards on a win.

1 minute ago, Red_Hood said:

On the contrary to what some are saying in this thread.  

To say no one will care about Jordan and still care about Spider-man is ridiculous.  Maybe in your world as you're a comic collector but the sports card market is shooting thru the roof.
I follow the vintage and new product of sports cards.  There is a huge boom occuring and prices for vintage stuff is soaring.

I picked up a lot of "legend status player" stuff such as Brady, Jeter, Gretzky, Jordan and Mantle rookies to name a few and all have more then doubled in the past couple of years.

New sealed product is hot hot hot, as well as older sealed product.  

The market is incredibly strong as is seen with the resurgence of card shows and the nationals are absolutely bananas !

2 minutes ago, Red_Hood said:

On the contrary to what some are saying in this thread.  

To say no one will care about Jordan and still care about Spider-man is ridiculous.  Maybe in your world as you're a comic collector but the sports card market is shooting thru the roof.
I follow the vintage and new product of sports cards.  There is a huge boom occuring and prices for vintage stuff is soaring.

I picked up a lot of "legend status player" stuff such as Brady, Jeter, Gretzky, Jordan and Mantle rookies to name a few and all have more then doubled in the past couple of years.

New sealed product is hot hot hot, as well as older sealed product.  

The market is incredibly strong as is seen with the resurgence of card shows and the nationals are absolutely bananas !

I know reading is hard, so please re-read my post.  I never said that nobody would care...I said probably not.  and that's 30 years from now...two generation away from when guys like you and I grew up watching Jordan.

How hot is an Henri Richard rookie card?  Did it double or triple in the past couple of years?  Exactly!

1 minute ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

I know reading is hard, so please re-read my post.  I never said that nobody would care...I said probably not.  and that's 30 years from now...two generation away from when guys like you and I grew up watching Jordan.

How hot is an Henri Richard rookie card?  Did it double or triple in the past couple of years?  Exactly!

he was cheeks tho

3 minutes ago, comicwiz said:

Is topsides the one you flipped and you could call front face or back facing? I loved farsies, but knockdowns was where you could make the most cards on a win.

Topsies = Whomever landed on the other's card got to keep the cards.

16 minutes ago, Red_Hood said:

Best thing to protect yourself as a collector is research...research...research.

Research, and education are a very tiny part of the solution. One can be completely educated, and in doing so, may avoid any/all pitfalls. But the collective inertia is what determines whether the issues persist or not.

You have to understand that the much bigger monolith to topple and overcome when sketchy, and downright fraudulent activity occurs is getting everyone on board with it needing to stop.

There is just way too much money riding-on the status quo. And too much opportunity being lost by messing with it.

Once you've seen this kind of thing happen in more than one hobby, you not only can spot it from a mile away, but you can anticipate which people are going to stay silent counting their stacks of cash,  those who will be vocally against any change, AND you can also very nearly predict the words, the choice of language and tactics they will use to minimize it on the hopes that it will all blow over.

Right now, the Bill Mastro story is the only thing I've seen that comes anywhere close to a matter reaching a judgment and prison sentencing. Once you enter into the multi-roomed void of contested and fraudulent hobby activity, it's very difficult to come out of it being optimistic any of it will change unless people start to lose massive amounts of money ALL at once.

Edited by comicwiz

15 minutes ago, Red_Hood said:

Do you know how much trimming is missed by the comic grading companies.  It is no different then the card grading.  Where there is much money to be made comes the greed and the schemes.

Problem is... people put too much faith in grading companies on all categories of collectibles. 

Agreed they miss it in comics. But I haven't seen the flood of before and after pics as bad as cards. Not going to lie the main reason I switched over to comic art in 2004 and dumped my Golden Age Joker books was due to the Blue label Batman 11 that showed up on Heritage which was clearly the same book with a small bump in grade but there was clearly less of the book on one side. I hindsight of course I would have wound up better staying the course. The dozen or so GA Bat books I had easily clear six figures and at the time the most I spent on a single one was 3K. 

Edited by Mephisto

In my neighborhood, Colors were where the action was. Sort of like War. You put down a card and they try to match the team color. Match it and you win the whole pile. 1969 Topps had all sorts of variant colors.which made it interesting. Some Reds were almost Orange and there were.different shades of several colors. I remember a fight breaking out when someone had a red Yankee and the other guy had the same players card but more orangey than Red.

We mostly flipped. I'd flip a card and the other guy would decide if his flip matched or was the opposite.

7 minutes ago, comicwiz said:

Never played a game where landing on front or back mattered but we would have if we'd known of it! And yes you could make a ton of cards at knockdowns, especially if it was a Montreal Canadiens team card where you could demand any shooters be at least ten steps back (and, of course, ban any kids who were known sharp shooters and might knock your card down with one shot). But if you really wanted to make a ton of cards you just had to convince one of the few girls hanging around with a stack of shooters to play, they were always terrible shots! :devil:

2 minutes ago, shadroch said:

In my neighborhood, Colors were where the action was. Sort of like War. You put down a card and they try to match the team color. Match it and you win the whole pile. 1969 Topps had all sorts of variant colors.which made it interesting. Some Reds were almost Orange and there were.different shades of several colors. I remember a fight breaking out when someone had a red Yankee and the other guy had the same players card but more orangey than Red.

We mostly flipped. I'd flip a card and the other guy would decide if his flip matched or was the opposite.

Flipping sounds like a safer bet for anyone wanting to actually collect the cards. Many of the cards used in knockdown would eventually become so beat up and rounded from hitting the wall over and over that they became basically impossible to shoot with any accuracy and we would just throw them away.

7 minutes ago, RANDOM ACTS said:

I think were sports have the big advantage is like is it a daily to weekly thing, while with the super hero comics we have to wait a few months between Marvel and DC movies. So the hype continues all year for the sportstars, while the super heroes have to wait for a big blockbuster hit to get things going again. 

Athletes carry a greater risk with ethical lapses. Look at how endorsement contracts are written these days. Think of your card collection as being the benefactor of such a contract, and if a player steps out of line for whatever reason (addiction, sexual misconduct, gambling, etc.) they lose that value, and so do the cards. That doesn't even broach any issue that may occur with an athletes career being abruptly cut short due to injury.

In comparison to comics, if more people saw lacklustre success at the box office as more of a necessary correction from ridiculous and unjustified value climbs, then it would almost be a sure bet and wouldn't even really be considered a risk.

Edited by comicwiz

30 minutes ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

How hot is a lot of the Golden Age comics.  This is an area that is dying out as more and more collectors have less and less interest as it wasn't their area growing up.

A lot of Golden Age books are more stagnant and more of it is collecting dust as no one wants it either.

This trend will continue with all eras as time goes on, in all collectibles.

38 minutes ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

Topsies = Whomever landed on the other's card got to keep the cards.

greatest game there ever was. i won tons of cards.

the beat up ones got second life with a clothespin on the bike spoke wheels.

i got all the girls with that hod rod noise. 

One summer, 1969 or 1970, the man across the street had his grandson stay with him for a bit. We were flipping cards and he was left out because he had none. After lunch, he appeared with these dinky little square black and white cards that must have been his fathers. Of course, no one was willing to risk this years cards for twenty year old cards that weren't even in color.

We were all way too smart for that.

46 minutes ago, Red_Hood said:

How hot is a lot of the Golden Age comics.  This is an area that is dying out as more and more collectors have less and less interest as it wasn't their area growing up.

A lot of Golden Age books are more stagnant and more of it is collecting dust as no one wants it either.

This trend will continue with all eras as time goes on, in all collectibles.

I dont think so with super hero era as the audience is huge, you have parents, kids, uncles, aunts and grandparents knowing who spiderman, batman and superman are they are house hold names that have many generations growing up with them in different ways but they are engrained into our culture and will continue to be in our culture I think for many decades to come. 

I’m not a sports card guy but run into them occasionally in my travels. 

Pre 1965 cards are very collectible and easy to sell. Especially, if course HOF players. I made a couple cool buys last year. One was 1930’s cards and one was about 25 old tobacco cards. There were a few good ones but most were commons. Sold the good ones on eBay and took the rest out to the flea market. They all sold VERY fast for great money. Stuff up to 1965 does the same thing when sold in groups with a few stars thrown in. 

25 minutes ago, RANDOM ACTS said:

One thing I noticed about sportscards compared to comic books is the sports stars who performed good created interest for people to want to go buy their cards, while for all the billion dollar super hero movies really didn't help monthly modern comic book sales that much.

I am trying to figure this one out. Anybody else have a theory?

Like Giannis performs like the next great NBA star than people want his cards, while Marvel/DC have killed it at the box office this last decade, but modern comic book sales seem to be either status quo or a downward trend.

easy some modern stories suck and most people who are buying books because the movies are speculators and only go after key books or issues inflating the market in that way..