• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sports cards vs Comics
4 4

174 posts in this topic

I only collect singles, primarily Hall of Famers. Nothing too shiny and new though I have a LeBron rookie and a couple Yadier Molina rookies slumming in a display around here. Similarities galore w/ comic collecting. You've got your drek, you've got your speculation potentials and you've got your popular "always in demand regardless" product. I'm a collector only these days w/ both cards and comics. My rules and outlook won't be the same as many folk. I'm interested in nostalgia and memories, not  $$$

5 hours ago, Hollywood1892 said:

Canadian variant?

Yeah, you can pretty much call it that.  O Pee Chee was manufactured and distributed in Canada only at the time of release.  

Many of the hockey years are coveted by collectors in the OPC version as well as many of the baseball sets from the late 60's and early 70's. 

The 1971 O Pee Chee Baseball set is probably one of the holy grails of collectors in high grade or to even complete.

Sadly I stopped collecting soortscards around the time I bought a whole bunch of Patrik Stefan rookie cards lol...that's the difference between comics and cards I think comics are a little easier to predict than cards because sports cards are determined on an athletes performance...Stefan was a real bust...uggh

2 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:

Sadly I stopped collecting soortscards around the time I bought a whole bunch of Patrik Stefan rookie cards lol...that's the difference between comics and cards I think comics are a little easier to predict than cards because sports cards are determined on an athletes performance...Stefan was a real bust...uggh

Same. I am still holding onto all my Gregg Jefferies rookie cards waiting for the comeback.

On 3/6/2020 at 8:19 AM, PopKulture said:

The high end sports card market has been strong for years. The great cards from the 60's and earlier in PSA 8 and better routinely set records. As mentioned, however, if you bought cases of unopened sets of NBA Hoops and Score or Upper Deck baseball cards in the 1990's, you'll be waiting for a while yet to see those big gains everyone was hoping for.... :shy:

This actually sounds very similar to the current comic book market in terms of the truly vintage collectible comic book market, as opposed to the highly speculative and gimmicky Modern Age comic book market.  hm

On 3/6/2020 at 3:16 PM, shadroch said:

Babe Ruth is dead eighty years but more people know him now than when he was alive. I'm pretty sure Jordan will be, as well.

not really I dont know babe ruth except he had some home run hits or something and is famous for it? Not sure but most of my family and friend wouldn't really know him and some of my American family might think it was a candy bar. I know he is famous from learning from other people and that his baseball card or autograph is worth some money. But my point was that fictional characters and the marvel ones has crossed over barriers, cultures and the world to become famous and would have a longer following of people than famous sports players. What happens when their records are broken are they forgotten or lost to time? My point was that super hero's has a better chance of lasting longer than famous sports people. 

1 hour ago, Krismusic said:

not really I dont know babe ruth except he had some home run hits or something and is famous for it? Not sure but most of my family and friend wouldn't really know him and some of my American family might think it was a candy bar. I know he is famous from learning from other people and that his baseball card or autograph is worth some money. But my point was that fictional characters and the marvel ones has crossed over barriers, cultures and the world to become famous and would have a longer following of people than famous sports players. What happens when their records are broken are they forgotten or lost to time? My point was that super hero's has a better chance of lasting longer than famous sports people. 

We understand your point. It's just that we think you are mistaken.

My point was that super hero's has a better chance of lasting longer than famous sports people. 

Ruth was born before Superman. that has to count for something.. now, we need to talk about brady........

1 hour ago, Ryan. said:

Babe Ruth has morphed into something of a mythic cultural figure in America. He's as famous here as it's possible for a person or thing to be famous. He's also particularly well known in Japan and Korea due to their interest in baseball so his fame has crossed borders. 

My point: Babe Ruth might not be well known to you but he as is famous as Superman or Spider-Man to Americans who, quite frankly, generate most of the world's pop culture.

Well put!

Albeit the last paragraph was absolutely audacious, I'm not sure what the percentage is that America contributes to Pop Culture, but regarding Baseball it is a very small sport on the World Stage.

1 hour ago, Ryan. said:

Babe Ruth has morphed into something of a mythic cultural figure in America. He's as famous here as it's possible for a person or thing to be famous. He's also particularly well known in Japan and Korea due to their interest in baseball so his fame has crossed borders. 

My point: Babe Ruth might not be well known to you but he as is famous as Superman or Spider-Man to Americans who, quite frankly, generate most of the world's pop culture.

why is he famous though... 

also is he famous in Europe? Africa? India? China? where a ton of the population resides.. my point is that Spiderman, Superman, Batman are more of a global name than Babe Ruth or other sports stars.. As sports stars tend to have fame within their niche.. how many Canadians or Americans know all the football stars (soccer).. how many European's know of Brady wait he plays football which one? I am just saying Sport stars have a narrower niche than Superman, Spiderman, Batman who are well known globally. 

3 minutes ago, Krismusic said:

why is he famous though... 

also is he famous in Europe? Africa? India? China? where a ton of the population resides.. my point is that Spiderman, Superman, Batman are more of a global name than Babe Ruth or other sports stars.. As sports stars tend to have fame within their niche.. how many Canadians or Americans know all the football stars (soccer).. how many European's know of Brady wait he plays football which one? I am just saying Sport stars have a narrower niche than Superman, Spiderman, Batman who are well known globally. 

If those populations aren't participating in the sports card or comic markets, it doesn't matter if it's 10 guys or 10 billion.  The dollars = zero.

1 minute ago, valiantman said:

If those populations aren't participating in the sports card or comic markets, it doesn't matter if it's 10 guys or 10 billion.  The dollars = zero.

I wasn't focusing on comic sales, but more on fame...

1 minute ago, RadDude said:

If they're so famous why don't you know how to spell Spider-Man? :baiting:

dont want to get sued by Dis-ney for Copyright infringement so spiderman it is... :tink:

2 minutes ago, RadDude said:

If they're so famous why don't you know how to spell Spider-Man? :baiting:

maybe I should say Spider-Dude would that be ok? 

1 hour ago, valiantman said:

I wasn't focusing on comic sales, but more on fame...

Clearly, that's my fault for thinking your post had something to do with the topic. :baiting:

lol

2 hours ago, valiantman said:

Clearly, that's my fault for thinking your post had something to do with the topic. :baiting:

lol

well it does have something to do with the topic but my point currently is speculation about if those markets do participate because of the fame of the characters being greater than a sports star.. when I have some time I'm sure I could find some evidence this is why I didn't go further into the fame thing leaving it up to you to imply what your opinion is. Either way doesn't matter to me which one people pick was just adding to the banter I do have some sports cards might go dig them up see if they are worth anything and should sell them I picked them up many years ago at a auction for a few bucks I know I have a ken griffy jr rookie card in a plastic case not graded looks to be great condition.