• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sports cards vs Comics
4 4

174 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, MGsimba77 said:

Yes my bad it was Howe...goes to show how much I know about hockey. 

don't feel bad, i thought just now you were talking about the gilligans island guy. i know less than you. i sort of miss h&c guy.

22 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

Bobby Orr is one of the 4 best defensemen in NHL history, and he only played for 10 years. Take from that what you will.

defense is boring... its all about goals... lol :baiting:

Orr is far and a way the best D ever. Highest single season plus minus ever over +100, only Dman to ever win the scoring title. He simple was incredible and revolutionized how Dmen now play the game. It’s too bad that the league let people run him and hurt him so they could beat him. Destroyed his knees 🤦‍♂️ If surgeons were better back in those days he would have played longer. The only way to slow him down was hurt him. He basically won the best Dman award every year he played. It should be called the Orr trophy  instead of the Norris trophy.

Edited by kidcolt

16 minutes ago, kidcolt said:

Orr is far and a way the best D ever. Highest single season plus minus ever over +100, only Dman to ever win the scoring title. He simple was incredible and revolutionized how Dmen now play the game. It’s too bad that the league let people run him and hurt him so they could beat him. Destroyed his knees 🤦‍♂️ If surgeons were better back in those days he would have played longer. The only way to slow him down was hurt him. He basically won the best Dman award every year he played. It should be called the Orr trophy  instead of the Norris trophy.

Great post! 

31 minutes ago, kidcolt said:

Not really. As mentioned - longevity matters. If anyone thinks he's not Top-5, then I would agree that they have no clue what they're talking about. But make no mistake, Orr played in a simpler era and was an offense-first "defenseman".

Nick Lidstrom is actually the one who revolutionized the position and influences how defensemen play the game now. Less physicality, more attention to being in-position, and using sticks instead of bodies to deter scoring chances. 2c

The "best defenseman in the NHL" is all about how you weigh what. Orr could take offensive chances because of his speed in that era. He could typically get back to cover his assignment.

What's "better", though? Someone who has the skill to get back, but has to risk-assess, and may not assess correctly or... The guy who's always in position, always playing defense-first, yet still among the highest-scoring defensemen of all-time?

I personally prefer the latter. Lidstrom, individually, also never got angry or flustered. He had ice in his veins. Possibly the most well-respected defenseman among his peers and officials. In the 3 eras of the NHL he played in - that was simply crazy to me. Even guys like Pavel Datsyuk got emotional, in fights, and made questionable hits.

17 hours ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

The "best defenseman in the NHL" is all about how you weigh what. Orr could take offensive chances because of his speed in that era. He could typically get back to cover his assignment.

What's "better", though? Someone who has the skill to get back, but has to risk-assess, and may not assess correctly or... The guy who's always in position, always playing defense-first, yet still among the highest-scoring defensemen of all-time?

I personally prefer the latter. Lidstrom, individually, also never got angry or flustered. He had ice in his veins. Possibly the most well-respected defenseman among his peers and officials. In the 3 eras of the NHL he played in - that was simply crazy to me. Even guys like Pavel Datsyuk got emotional, in fights, and made questionable hits.

Or had a high hockey IQ as well....thing is, both of them are invaluable to any hockey franchise...When it comes to defining best ever, there are only two in the conversation Orr and Lidstrom.

Bourque was great

Chelios played until he was 43

Paul Coffee was great

Macinnis.

But it's down to Orr and Lidstrom and when it comes down to sports cards (what the post was about) You could get a Lidstrom O-Pee Chee RC for about $50.00 

Edited by Hollywood1892

41 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:

Or had a high hockey IQ as well....thing is, both of them are invaluable to any hockey franchise...When it comes to defining best ever, there are only two in the conversation Orr and Lidstrom.

Bourque was great

Chelios played until he was 43

Paul Coffee was great

Macinnis.

But it's down to Orr and Lidstrom and when it comes down to sports cards (what the post was about) You could get a Lidstrom O-Pee Chee RC for about $50.00

Well, yeah, Orr had to have a high "Hockey IQ" to be a risk-assessing offensive defenseman. If he didn't, he wouldn't have been so great.

Raymond Bourque and Doug Harvey are also in the conversation. It's not just Lidstrom and Orr. Throw Eddie Shore in there, too.

Chelios, Coffey, and MacInnis are all Tier 2 compared to the above.

1 hour ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

Well, yeah, Orr had to have a high "Hockey IQ" to be a risk-assessing offensive defenseman. If he didn't, he wouldn't have been so great.

Raymond Bourque and Doug Harvey are also in the conversation. It's not just Lidstrom and Orr. Throw Eddie Shore in there, too.

Chelios, Coffey, and MacInnis are all Tier 2 compared to the above.

What about the value of a Lidstrom rookie card though?

I was shocked to see it. I thought it would be at least $300