• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sports cards vs Comics
4 4

174 posts in this topic

To be fair cards have been doing color parallels since the mid 1990s.  Pacific hockey took it to the extreme with the holo-emerald, red, gold, silver, ice blue etc.  It was fun back then because they all came exclusively from certain boxes like hobby, retail, canadian retail, canadian hobby etc.  Jersey cards and autographs barely existed yet, but the parallels fell out of popularity once the memoribilia stuff started showing up in every set by every card manufacturer.  

2 minutes ago, 90sChild said:

To be fair cards have been doing color parallels since the mid 1990s.  Pacific hockey took it to the extreme with the holo-emerald, red, gold, silver, ice blue etc.  It was fun back then because they all came exclusively from certain boxes like hobby, retail, canadian retail, canadian hobby etc.  Jersey cards and autographs barely existed yet, but the parallels fell out of popularity once the memoribilia stuff started showing up in every set by every card manufacturer.  

They are now, and have always been... beanie babies. 

Look!  This holo blue with red laser rhinoceros is the rare version with one nostril!  Only 5 were made!  Opening bid: $2,000

1 hour ago, MGsimba77 said:

Probably has something to do with the checklist on the back I don't know? Just a random find. https://www.ebay.com/itm/173916037145

An unopened shrink wrapped box from '85...~20k 

I get there is a nostalgia to them (much like comic books), but what percentage of the population are after these?! 

56 minutes ago, Mercury Man said:

I get there is a nostalgia to them (much like comic books), but what percentage of the population are after these?! 

I would think even less than comics. I just stumbled upon it looking for something else. I recall when I was in elementary school there was always an ice cream truck parked outside the school end of day that would always be crowded. The kids that got there first always bought garbage pail kids. The listing I linked had 99 watchers so someone's interested 

On 3/14/2020 at 5:37 PM, tomi1 said:

The mass production era unfortunately. Comics in the 90's were also mass produced and worthless. As far as cards go I have collected bobby Orr stuff for over a decade and I can tell you his stuff is on a whole other level. I picked up his 1966 Topps rookie in a PSA 8 for $14,000 5 years ago and the last PSA 8 sold for about $45,000. Vintage is the best in my opinion. Just have to be very cautious with the card trimmers out there. The grading companies are unfortunately a joke but the holders just bring an insane $.

yes, for sure. I bought my Orr rookie for 1K several years ago, now north of 3k  --  guess it's kinda like GA, go for the grails and vintage of card collecting and those hold and even increase there value over time 

2 hours ago, Dark Knight said:

Same here!  I have the complete original sets both A and B variations + the errors from Series 1-15 in NM condition

All my Wacky Pack stickers are still stuck to birdcages, dresser drawers and headboards buried fifty feet deep in the North Van landfill (along with all my Star Trek and Charlie's Angels stickers).

10 hours ago, Black_Adam said:

All my Wacky Pack stickers are still stuck to birdcages, dresser drawers and headboards buried fifty feet deep in the North Van landfill (along with all my Star Trek and Charlie's Angels stickers).

Sounds like a modern day treasure hunt to me!

On 3/17/2020 at 6:36 PM, fishbone said:

yes, for sure. I bought my Orr rookie for 1K several years ago, now north of 3k  --  guess it's kinda like GA, go for the grails and vintage of card collecting and those hold and even increase there value over time 

Not mine...highest graded PSA 1966 Topps Orr RC 

+66T-Orr(PSA9+BVG95).jpg

Edited by Chaos_in_Canada

5 minutes ago, mattn792 said:

That his corpse played for some very mediocre Blackhawks teams of course.

Yeah I remember seeing him on ESPN way back when he played in a game as the oldest player ever. I don't think that's why his card commands so much value. Is he considered one of the greatest or something?

The sports card industry is still strong and doing well. Ud continues to sell out of new products and rookies and vintage graded high grade cards are still selling well. Now they are selling epacks online and that is doing better than I ever imagined. The industry has changed, adjusted and adapted to collectors wants.

9 hours ago, MGsimba77 said:

Yeah I remember seeing him on ESPN way back when he played in a game as the oldest player ever. I don't think that's why his card commands so much value. Is he considered one of the greatest or something?

Are you talking about Gordie Howe, or...?