• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Has the Corona virus affected any cons yet?
7 7

434 posts in this topic

I've decided to not go to the "Fan Days Expo" in Dallas, TX at the end of this month.  There are thousands and thousands of people that normally attend.  It's just not worth it to me.  
I'll catch the next Con somewhere else later on whenever("IF") all this Coronovirius spreading stops spreading.

10 hours ago, Bumble Kitty said:

I'm planning to attend WonderCon.  Tickets were bought the day they went on sale.  If nothing else, parking should be a little less hectic.

Me too!  Maybe just going for one day. We'll see how it is next month.

8 minutes ago, musicmeta said:

I've decided to not go to the "Fan Days Expo" in Dallas, TX at the end of this month.  There are thousands and thousands of people that normally attend.  It's just not worth it to me.  
I'll catch the next Con somewhere else later on whenever("IF") all this Coronovirius spreading stops spreading.

I'm still going, but hope no guests feel uncomfortable, as I paid for photo-ops etc. probably won't be too much arms around or shaking hands.....

Has there been any "threat" in Dallas? or just a personal choice?

30 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

I'm still going, but hope no guests feel uncomfortable, as I paid for photo-ops etc. probably won't be too much arms around or shaking hands.....

Has there been any "threat" in Dallas? or just a personal choice?

Personal Choice and no cases reported in the Dallas/Forth Worth metroplex as of now.  I can't imagine not spreading here eventually because the area has a large international airport and the area has a large population of people.

2 minutes ago, musicmeta said:

Personal Choice and no cases reported in the Dallas/Forth Worth metroplex as of now.  I can't imagine not spreading here eventually because the area has a large international airport and the area has a large population of people.

Ya I live in Dallas too, but have been planning on this con lol the news stinks but Toronto is a Fan Expo too, and they've had case and so far that con is still underway.....

If they have it with no problems the week before Fan Expo Dallas, I'll breath a sigh of relief! Still trying to look forward to it.

4 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Ya I live in Dallas too, but have been planning on this con lol the news stinks but Toronto is a Fan Expo too, and they've had case and so far that con is still underway.....

If they have it with no problems the week before Fan Expo Dallas, I'll breath a sigh of relief! Still trying to look forward to it.

Who knows, I may change my mind and attend after all.  Maybe the crowds drop by 50% and I can pick up some decent books I want for a song! lol

1 minute ago, musicmeta said:

Who knows, I may change my mind and attend after all.  Maybe the crowds drop by 50% and I can pick up some decent books I want for a song! lol

I bought some shirts that say ADAMANTIUM on it for the occasion lol

Because I'm a dork and nothing better to do, kind of low on funds, so I prepaid for a photo OP with weird Al yankovick and figured I'll make the best of it, if allowed and the world doesn't end haha

Thanks for this. Very informative and honest from a professional. I am over 60 and had the “old guy” flu shot. Despite my bad habits, I am pretty healthy. I am not panicking and I don’t live my life in fear. None the less, I am choosing to keep away from crowds and wash my hands a lot! If it impacts my life a little for a while, I’m OK with it. 

10 minutes ago, MedicAR said:

We have two problems right now. One is an epidemic known as COVID-19 (coronavirus) and another is best described as an "Infodemic." The first is a virus transmitted between people, the second is people transmitting anything and everything they see and/or hear about a virus. I work in healthcare and have been watching this since it first surfaced about six to eight weeks ago. I get my information from vetted sources, not Facebook, Twitter, or for the most part, mass media. The media has its place, showing us where outbreaks are but that's about all they are good for. I've been to meetings at various levels about containment and response to the virus. I'm researching this daily to take care of my people. I use the CDC, the WHO, the International Society for Infectious Diseases, and other researched and evidence based sources for my information. 

Here's what we know. The COVID-19 is a coronavirus, similar to the viruses that caused SARS and MERS. I'm sure many of you recall that both of those were going to "kill us all" in the not so distant past. The common cold is a coronavirus as well. These are caused by the same type of virus, so named because of the ridged, "crown like" appearance of the virus under intense magnification. "Corona" is Latin for "crown." It most likely originated in an animal of some kind and bats are the most likely suspect right now. It appears that it originated in or around Wuhan, China, possibly in a food market where live and dead animals are sold side by side. Wuhan is a major city with a considerable amount of international travelers to and from the city. Corona viruses generally cause flu-like symptoms including congestion, fever, cough, and body aches in addition to respiratory issues. COVID-19, SARS and MERS cause lower respiratory infections which generally lead to pneumonia and regardless of whether they turn to pneumonia or not, they can be fatal. There is no cure and treatment consists of supportive care of the symptoms. All that being said, I also just described the flu. You know, the disease some of us get vaccinated for and some of us don't by our own choice! While there is no definitive information on transmission, it is incredibly likely that it is transmitted like the flu, through droplets and close contact. The flu swabs or tests for the flu will not catch COVID-19, they are different viruses and the flu test doesn't detect COVID-19 and vice versa. If you have a weakened immune system, have other chronic diseases, have a weakened respiratory system, or are over the age of 65, you have a higher likelihood of contracting COVID-19, just as you have a greater risk of catching the flu. The big difference between COVID-19 and the flu to the average person is that most people with the flu are likely to infect 1-2 other people while those infected with COVID-19 are likely to infect 2-3 other people. That's it! 

Conspiracy theories abound. It is unlikely that this escaped from a weapons laboratory in China for a couple of reasons. It's just not virulent enough to be weapons grade anything. It's transmitted between humans but not really efficiently and it looks like it needs to start with a host, meaning that it's not easily spread in a gas or powder. Lysol did not know this was coming, that's not why they say on labels as far back as 2007 that it kills the human coronavirus. Lysol put that on their labels because they knew that the common cold is a coronavirus and that people were terrified of SARS (also a coronavirus, remember?) because of the media. 

Keeping it clean. Be aware that for any of the products that kill a coronavirus to be effective, they generally need to be sprayed on and left for one minute or allowed to air dry. Anything else is just smearing the viruses around, assuming that they were even there in the first place. Always consult the product label for best use. Hand sanitizers need to cover the hands and then allowed to air dry. Rubbing them until they are dry just smears whatever you're trying to kill all over your hands. If you have symptoms, a mask will very likely prevent you spreading the disease. A mask, shy of an N-95 (or higher number), is not likely to prevent catching the disease. Even then, the N95 needs to be worn properly with a good seal. Surgical masks are not intended to protect the wearer, they are intended to prevent the wearer spreading whatever they are carrying. They might help the healthy but that's a big "might" as there is no evidence proving it. As for the wipes at Wal-Mart, grocery stores, and anywhere else people use a shopping cart, you're really just moving the germs around on the surface. Wash your hands regularly and cover your mouth and nose when you cough or sneeze. I feel silly having to tell people that because anything else is just gross. 

There is no reason for this to disrupt trade, markets, meetings, concerts, movies, or anything else. It is essentially a different version of the flu caused by a different type of virus. To put it in terms of dogs, not all dogs are Doberman Pinchers but it's also true that not all dogs are Chihuahuas. Viruses, like dogs, come in all shapes and sizes and are known for different characteristics. Does it really matter what dog bites you? Regardless, you're still bit! Same with COVID-19 and the flu, similar symptoms, similar treatments. Go about your business! Until the last two weeks, the flu had killed more people since October than had contracted COVID-19! Flu deaths this season are about four times higher than COVID-19 and I imagine both will start declining because everyone is seeing a doctor for every sniffle now. 

This is something for you to really think about. The question that is just beginning to circulate now is whether this really is new or if it has been around and we're just now diagnosing it. Maybe six months or a year ago we would have shrugged and said "it's not the flu, just some other virus. Get some rest." 

The virus can live on surfaces but the length of time is unclear so far. It may be as short as two hours or as long as several days. Prior to cleaning a room after a confirmed case left, about 80% of surfaces had the live virus on them. After disinfection, this dropped to 0%. Standard household cleaner can and do kill it when used properly. There are several listed by the EPA now and many news outlets have listed them or a link to them. Check the labels if in doubt!

If my word isn't good enough, check out Dr. Abdu Sharkawy, MD and Assistant Clinical Professor of Medicine at the University of Toronto

Interesting read and thank you :) I too stay away from the media "frenzy", nice to know that it is discovered and that people can now be aware, however long it's been around and all.

Knowledge is power, it's what you do with that knowledge that counts toward if you'll get any benefit. Best we can do is have a daily and or "all-the-time" routine that is basic hygiene and healthy lifestyle. We can't take that for granted. Learn it the best you can, and keep it up, even when it's not a "frenzy" going around.

Thanks again!

1 minute ago, Robot Man said:

Thanks for this. Very informative and honest from a professional. I am over 60 and had the “old guy” flu shot. Despite my bad habits, I am pretty healthy. I am not panicking and I don’t live my life in fear. None the less, I am choosing to keep away from crowds and wash my hands a lot! If it impacts my life a little for a while, I’m OK with it. 

You get it!  THANK YOU!  Just use the same good sense you use during every flu season and you should be just fine!

2 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Interesting read and thank you :) I too stay away from the media "frenzy", nice to know that it is discovered and that people can now be aware, however long it's been around and all.

Knowledge is power, it's what you do with that knowledge that counts toward if you'll get any benefit. Best we can do is have a daily and or "all-the-time" routine that is basic hygiene and healthy lifestyle. We can't take that for granted. Learn it the best you can, and keep it up, even when it's not a "frenzy" going around.

Thanks again!

You are very welcome.  There is a big push within healthcare right now to smash all the fear and paranoia! 

4 minutes ago, MedicAR said:

You get it!  THANK YOU!  Just use the same good sense you use during every flu season and you should be just fine!

Is the flu shot they gave me extra strong? I have had them before but the day after I got it, I was sick as a dog got about 24 hours. Is this shot any more protection for a virus like this? 

I figure the glass of Jack I’m having now couldn’t hurt any either...

1 hour ago, MedicAR said:

We have two problems right now. One is an epidemic known as COVID-19 (coronavirus) and another is best described as an "Infodemic." The first is a virus transmitted between people, the second is people transmitting anything and everything they see and/or hear about a virus. I work in healthcare and have been watching this since it first surfaced about six to eight weeks ago. I get my information from vetted sources, not Facebook, Twitter, or for the most part, mass media. The media has its place, showing us where outbreaks are but that's about all they are good for. I've been to meetings at various levels about containment and response to the virus. I'm researching this daily to take care of my people. I use the CDC, the WHO, the International Society for Infectious Diseases, and other researched and evidence based sources for my information. 

Here's what we know. The COVID-19 is a coronavirus, similar to the viruses that caused SARS and MERS. I'm sure many of you recall that both of those were going to "kill us all" in the not so distant past. The common cold is a coronavirus as well. These are caused by the same type of virus, so named because of the ridged, "crown like" appearance of the virus under intense magnification. "Corona" is Latin for "crown." It most likely originated in an animal of some kind and bats are the most likely suspect right now. It appears that it originated in or around Wuhan, China, possibly in a food market where live and dead animals are sold side by side. Wuhan is a major city with a considerable amount of international travelers to and from the city. Corona viruses generally cause flu-like symptoms including congestion, fever, cough, and body aches in addition to respiratory issues. COVID-19, SARS and MERS cause lower respiratory infections which generally lead to pneumonia and regardless of whether they turn to pneumonia or not, they can be fatal. There is no cure and treatment consists of supportive care of the symptoms. All that being said, I also just described the flu. You know, the disease some of us get vaccinated for and some of us don't by our own choice! While there is no definitive information on transmission, it is incredibly likely that it is transmitted like the flu, through droplets and close contact. The flu swabs or tests for the flu will not catch COVID-19, they are different viruses and the flu test doesn't detect COVID-19 and vice versa. If you have a weakened immune system, have other chronic diseases, have a weakened respiratory system, or are over the age of 65, you have a higher likelihood of contracting COVID-19, just as you have a greater risk of catching the flu. The big difference between COVID-19 and the flu to the average person is that most people with the flu are likely to infect 1-2 other people while those infected with COVID-19 are likely to infect 2-3 other people. That's it! 

Conspiracy theories abound. It is unlikely that this escaped from a weapons laboratory in China for a couple of reasons. It's just not virulent enough to be weapons grade anything. It's transmitted between humans but not really efficiently and it looks like it needs to start with a host, meaning that it's not easily spread in a gas or powder. Lysol did not know this was coming, that's not why they say on labels as far back as 2007 that it kills the human coronavirus. Lysol put that on their labels because they knew that the common cold is a coronavirus and that people were terrified of SARS (also a coronavirus, remember?) because of the media. 

Keeping it clean. Be aware that for any of the products that kill a coronavirus to be effective, they generally need to be sprayed on and left for one minute or allowed to air dry. Anything else is just smearing the viruses around, assuming that they were even there in the first place. Always consult the product label for best use. Hand sanitizers need to cover the hands and then allowed to air dry. Rubbing them until they are dry just smears whatever you're trying to kill all over your hands. If you have symptoms, a mask will very likely prevent you spreading the disease. A mask, shy of an N-95 (or higher number), is not likely to prevent catching the disease. Even then, the N95 needs to be worn properly with a good seal. Surgical masks are not intended to protect the wearer, they are intended to prevent the wearer spreading whatever they are carrying. They might help the healthy but that's a big "might" as there is no evidence proving it. As for the wipes at Wal-Mart, grocery stores, and anywhere else people use a shopping cart, you're really just moving the germs around on the surface. Wash your hands regularly and cover your mouth and nose when you cough or sneeze. I feel silly having to tell people that because anything else is just gross. 

There is no reason for this to disrupt trade, markets, meetings, concerts, movies, or anything else. It is essentially a different version of the flu caused by a different type of virus. To put it in terms of dogs, not all dogs are Doberman Pinchers but it's also true that not all dogs are Chihuahuas. Viruses, like dogs, come in all shapes and sizes and are known for different characteristics. Does it really matter what dog bites you? Regardless, you're still bit! Same with COVID-19 and the flu, similar symptoms, similar treatments. Go about your business! Until the last two weeks, the flu had killed more people since October than had contracted COVID-19! Flu deaths this season are about four times higher than COVID-19 and I imagine both will start declining because everyone is seeing a doctor for every sniffle now. 

This is something for you to really think about. The question that is just beginning to circulate now is whether this really is new or if it has been around and we're just now diagnosing it. Maybe six months or a year ago we would have shrugged and said "it's not the flu, just some other virus. Get some rest." 

The virus can live on surfaces but the length of time is unclear so far. It may be as short as two hours or as long as several days. Prior to cleaning a room after a confirmed case left, about 80% of surfaces had the live virus on them. After disinfection, this dropped to 0%. Standard household cleaner can and do kill it when used properly. There are several listed by the EPA now and many news outlets have listed them or a link to them. Check the labels if in doubt!

If my word isn't good enough, check out Dr. Abdu Sharkawy, MD and Assistant Clinical Professor of Medicine at the University of Toronto

TY.  Confidence defeats a million adversaries 

12 hours ago, Robot Man said:

I'm also over 60, and have no more fear of the Coronavirus than any other cold/flu.  I do, however, fear that the growing panic will make life difficult in places.  Just got back from Sam's Club an hour ago... needed basic restock supplies for the store.  I'm not stocking up on hand sanitizer, just looking for one or two bottles to keep by the counter like we always do.  No go.  Completely sold out... didn't even need to look for it, because I could overhear the parade of individuals coming in and immediately going to the cashiers to ask if there were any in stock.  Foaming and liquid soap dispensers all sold out as well.  Bar soap was in stock, but dwindling.  Didn't need them, but noticed some large bare empty areas on the shelves... these were for sanitary wipes and other basic cleansers.  And this in Ohio which hasn't even had a case yet.  This may dissipate as warm weather moves in (we're due for a high of 60 today), but if the "panic" lasts into late Spring, wonder how many FCBD events will be cancelled?  

12 hours ago, MedicAR said:

You are very welcome.  There is a big push within healthcare right now to smash all the fear and paranoia! 

The fact that this will severely overtax the health care system is the bigger problem, no? Lack of beds and masks is already an issue. Also US does not have a proper universal health care program, so many will not even seek treatment. Not to mention the all over the map messaging from the US government 

35 minutes ago, Quicksilver Signs said:

The fact that this will severely overtax the health care system is the bigger problem, no? Lack of beds and masks is already an issue. Also US does not have a proper universal health care program, so many will not even seek treatment. Not to mention the all over the map messaging from the US government 

Not really.  The overreaction will tax the system because we have to go overboard in order to alleviate the public fears.  The lack of beds is seasonal due to the flu and there are only 437 confirmed cases of COVID-19 in the US right now (March 8, 1100 CDT) with many staying home.  Having COVID-19 doesn't mean hospitalization.  Just like the flu, most people can beat it at home.  Mysteriously, six of the top eight countries of outbreaks have free healthcare, so lack of access doesn't appear to be the issue.  I'm not familiar with the "all over the map messaging" but what I am familiar with has been consistent.  "It's similar to the flu in transmission and symptoms and stop panicking" have been the messages that I have seen.  

Edited by MedicAR