• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Has the Corona virus affected any cons yet?
7 7

434 posts in this topic

5 minutes ago, comicginger1789 said:

Yeah but the reaction then was not like this.

that is my point. it should have been the same level of reaction, all things considered. so why wasn't it? i think we both know. it is the forbidden subject here.

What a conspiracy at the time? I mean, I don't think there are as many conspiracies out there as some people but I think its naive to not think there (and have been) at least a few. 

I totally believe governments would try to hide the spread of a new virus. Heck it happened with this. All I am saying is the response is more than I have seen in my lifetime and the potential unknown of it all and fear that seems to be spreading (whether legitimate or too much) is interesting. 

Edited by comicginger1789

3 minutes ago, comicginger1789 said:

the response is more than I have seen in my lifetime

and mine, disease wise, and i recall the early 50s stuff. it was nowhere near as over the top as covid 19. then again, social media was nowhere near what it is now. there were 4 tv channels without animated opinionists (i made that word up) giving the news (they were genuine news reporters...imagine that), and there was a newspaper or 2. the closest thing to a cell phone was the  tracy communicator watch, and the ma bell party line.

Yes, and I do think some of the panic is over the top. Because this thing has symptoms that mimic a flu, there are lots of whispers, "oh this person might have it, oh that person". .And until they verify, which takes time, you have people in quarantine for safety reasons. Either way, the spread factor is alarming. I am happy that Canada appears to be doing a fair job at containing, however I think the next month will really tell us a lot. COuld be out of control and literally everywhere or could start to be contained. We shall see.

1 minute ago, comicginger1789 said:

Yes, and I do think some of the panic is over the top. Because this thing has symptoms that mimic a flu, there are lots of whispers, "oh this person might have it, oh that person". .And until they verify, which takes time, you have people in quarantine for safety reasons. Either way, the spread factor is alarming. I am happy that Canada appears to be doing a fair job at containing, however I think the next month will really tell us a lot. COuld be out of control and literally everywhere or could start to be contained. We shall see.

the u.s. is invading canada next week, i heard. we are not going to allow covid19 safe countries.

I'll post for posterity...

Fan Expo Dallas is 2 weeks from Friday 

A guest who had cancelled 2 months ago, his schedule opened up and he has rejoined the con....

That said, someone tagged FED on Facebook, wondering or demanding it be cancelled and refunded cause, "what guests are still going to show up!"

Maybe I'm counting chickens, but we've only had 2 people cancel in a month and the con is 2 weeks away. I'm not worried, but it was 2 comic artists, Brent Peeples and another person edit it was Chad Thomas 

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

Is the "fear" of all this reaction (or overreaction) because there is no cure or vaccine for COVID-19 just yet and there is at least some semblance of a vaccine (maybe a cure?)  for the other types of flu viruses and so people feel like there is way out for those types of flu viruses??  

10 minutes ago, musicmeta said:

Is the "fear" of all this reaction (or overreaction) because there is no cure or vaccine for COVID-19 just yet and there is at least some semblance of a vaccine (maybe a cure?)  for the other types of flu viruses and so people feel like there is way out for those types of flu viruses??  

My initial gut response is you can't rationalize the irrational, don't want to be forward, I'd rather have overkill than passiveness. The inconvenience is temporary but when there is money involved it hurts twice as much lol

I don't expect cancellation of Fan Expo Dallas in 2 weeks, I'm just really looking forward to it!

In the last week we have seen news sentiment go from being passive to quite serious.

Stories of patients who have contracted it but have mild symptoms and are recovering are great to hear; but are not the point of concern or celebration.  

COVID19 is affecting a certain percentage of people more strongly than others.  Those people in general seem to have some level of compromised immune systems.  This can be elderly, terminally ill, etc.

What I know is there are people I love; that have not died from the general flu but have compromised immune systems.  And COVID19 would most likely affect them greatly.

Due to this; those that CAN be affected by it; it seems as humans we should understand the best course of action right now is to not be extraneous carriers of the virus until we can understand more about it.  Despite how much Social Fun that limits us from at current juncture.

My 2c ... :foryou:

Fax Expo Dallas is a dead man walking. Unless there is a sudden plunge in the bell curve, there will be too much pressure to cancel. And heaven forbid they have it and five days later there is an explosion in cases.

On 3/9/2020 at 10:46 PM, lou_fine said:

You must realize that the ease of availability for the general public to this information for the seasonal flu as compared to Covid-19 is like the difference between night and day.  :gossip:

yes, when every one in town is selling da'coro shots with the flu shots then we can compare. Most everyone has access to flu shots and it still kills as many as it does

5 hours ago, musicmeta said:

It's not a flu virus although some people compare it to the flu, it's not. It's a corona virus,  MERS and SARS are 2 of the big named ones that are of this type. The symptoms seem to some people  to be the same as the flu(others claim its worse). At this point I've heard word of a shot/vaccine in the works but that is a ways down the road. From the reports Iv'e read/seen the fatality rate is higher than the flu, which could be from lack of testing to know the correct number of infected but at any rate double the number is still bad. Older adult seem to have a significant higher rate.

Edited by unclezebo

I think most people think the worst part of the pandemic is that they might get the virus themselves. That seems to be the perception coming from the NBA as I watch the suspension of the season unfold. It isn't.

The narrative everywhere needs to be this:

It may not be serious for most people but it might be serious to those who can't receive medical attention if the medical industry becomes overwhelmed, which is already happening in some places.

The quickest way to end this impact both economically and health wise is for everyone to just self quarantine and practice cleanliness practices.

If everyone does that immediately the virus can immediately be slowed down and return to normal can happen as soon as possible.

Edited by VintageComics

10 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

I think most people think the worst part of the pandemic is that they might get the virus themselves. That seems to be the perception coming from the NBA as I watch the suspension of the season unfold. It isn't.

The narrative everywhere needs to be this:

It may not be serious for most people but it might be serious to those who can't receive medical attention if the medical industry becomes overwhelmed, which is already happening in some places.

The quickest way to end this impact both economically and health wise is for everyone to just self quarantine and practice cleanliness practices.

If everyone does that immediately the virus can immediately be slowed down and return to normal can happen as soon as possible.

Here in SF, most businesses have told workers to work remotely.  School was cancelled at 90 Catholic schools.  All schools will soon follow suit.  Small businesses like cafes and restaurants are probably doomed if this lasts more than two weeks.  Downtown is already very thinned out in population.   

It is so bad already, that a valid question is whether the economic fallout is going to cause more deaths than the virus.  Poverty kills.  Joblessness kills.  Depression kills.  

As for the point of this thread - comic cons - how can they go forward when the NBA has cancelled its season, colleges are cancelling classes, and NCAA March Madness is probably next (already fans are banned from games)?  They can't.