• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Has the Corona virus affected any cons yet?
7 7

434 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, Bumble Kitty said:

WonderCon 2020 has just been postponed.

I think it will be a safe bet that all March-April and maybe early May gatherings get cancelled or postponed.  

Mid-Summer, I think its a fair bet that they will proceed.  We'll see.

I'm all for a 30 day moratorium on all events-- shut down international travel, eliminate nursing home visits, all that-- 30 days-- but when we start canceling things that are running in June forward we are guilty of knee jerk reaction.

20 minutes ago, Mr. Zipper said:

The state of NY just banned all events over 500 people, closed all nursing homes to outside visitors and shut down Broadway. My dad is in a nursing home and I may not see him for weeks or months.

While it seems drastic, I do not think this is panic. The goal is to avoid turning into Italy where a mass number of people hit the health care system at the same time paralyzing it and preventing them from giving ANYONE high quality care. That is why the death toll is so high there and they are in a disaster like triage situation choosing who will get care.

Slow and minimize the spread is what will keep the health care system afloat. The difference with the flu is that it is spread over four months. If all the people with the flu hit the system in a one month period, there would be the same concerns. 

I just heard the same too. Nickel City Con just released a statement on seeing if the ban will affect their comic con (occurring on May 15-17). 

56 minutes ago, Spidey 62 said:

Great post and also, infodemic is a great description for many things these days.  That may be almost as bad as the actual illness. 

But, you really don't know that.  It could get worse or it could die a slow death.  Speaking in absolutes is an iffy proposition. 

Nothing is definite but what info have you seen to suggest this virus has run it's course?  Do you think Italy and several other countries are blowing things out of proportion?  Unless we can instantly come up with a treatment then it only makes sense that things will get worse compared to where you start in terms of a virus spreading.

1 hour ago, shadroch said:

How did the NBA players get tested for it? :flipbait:

and immediately as well! Money buys accesss, I did expect more people to complain about this

6 minutes ago, Bird said:

and immediately as well! Money buys accesss, I did expect more people to complain about this

well who do you think is getting health care first... it's not the regular person.. 

1 hour ago, Spidey 62 said:
On 3/8/2020 at 6:01 PM, Lazyboy said:

But we're not even close to being all said and done. COVID-19 is just getting started.

But, you really don't know that.  It could get worse or it could die a slow death.  Speaking in absolutes is an iffy proposition.

(shrug)

Getting worse and dying a slow death would both fit my "not even close to being all said and done" and "just getting started" statements. It's certainly not just going to suddenly disappear.

Hopefully, the things that are happening (or not happening) now will help.

3 hours ago, 1Cool said:

Nothing is definite but what info have you seen to suggest this virus has run it's course? 

The number of infections began to plateau in China a few weeks after extreme measures were taken to limit social contact.

I'm guessing that is what the rest of the world is now trying to do. Limit infections by limiting contact.

5 hours ago, AndyFish said:

45 Million Americans infected this year by the regular flu-- which isn't always receptive to antibiotics and many folks still get it despite getting a flu shot, 46,000 of those infected died, so where's the panic there?   Antibiotics only work on bacterial infections not viral ones.   When Corona Beer reports an extreme drop in sales because of peoples fear of this thing you realize the inmates are running the asylum.    Antiviral drugs exist but for the most part they are only given to folks at higher risk.   Go to the doctor and he tells you it's a virus 9 times out of 10 he's going to tell you to drink fluids, get rest, stay out of work.
I don't get the flu shot, and I've not gotten even a cold in the past three years-- how?   I wash my hands a lot.   I get plenty of sleep, I shower and wear clean clothes every day, I brush my teeth. I take vitamins.  I avoid sick people.  This despite conventions, several boards I'm on and going to church and my local club every week, in other words I don't lock myself away from people.

Basic common sense gets me through flu season, the same thing will get me through this nonsense.   Don't let the media or politicians cause you to panic.   We'll all be okay.

Coronavirus is every bit as contagious and about 35x as deadly as the flu, and we have no vaccines at the moment. 

1 minute ago, dupont2005 said:

Coronavirus is every bit as contagious and about 35x as deadly as the flu, and we have no vaccines at the moment. 

What's the source for "every bit as contagious as the flu?"

54 minutes ago, dupont2005 said:

35x as deadly as the flu

Whaaat?

I thought it was about 8 times as deadly, not 35 times as deadly.

Where did you get this info?

1 hour ago, dupont2005 said:

35X as deadly? so the average year has 60,000 US flu victims so 60,000 x 35 = 2,100,000 americans are or will die from the Corona Virus this year? That's your serious statement....