• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Has the Corona virus affected any cons yet?
7 7

434 posts in this topic

My comic show is still on based on the last report 3 hours ago

picked up groceries for the next couple of weeks and of course tp was out except the really cheap sandpaper stuff or the super super soft kind

one other observation was that plant based proteins were mostly sold out 

finally there’s got to be a way to sell drek comics as toilet paper if this continues 

17 minutes ago, jsilverjanet said:

My comic show is still on based on the last report 3 hours ago

picked up groceries for the next couple of weeks and of course tp was out except the really cheap sandpaper stuff or the super super soft kind

one other observation was that plant based proteins were mostly sold out 

finally there’s got to be a way to sell drek comics as toilet paper if this continues 

@Robot Man I'm starting to wonder why this flies, and yet I'm singled out :shy: 

JaggedConfusedHypacrosaurus-size_restric

16 hours ago, KryptoSpidey said:

Its called a NOVEL virus because of the DEAN KOOTS NOVEL which wrote about the "outbreak" years ago in a book.

People like you are who spread histeria on social media...

Wow...... that is not even close to why it’s called Novel. Yes, Dean Koontz (not Koots), did write a novel about a disease from Wuhan. It was called the Wuhan-400 in the book and basically killed everyone. I read it 25 years ago.  Not the same as this but still a little crazy.

A novel coronavirus is a new coronavirus that has not been previously identified. The virus causing coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19), is not the same as the coronaviruses that commonly circulate among humans and cause mild illness, like the common cold. - CDC

Being clinically OCD, already using hand gel and not shaking hands, it’s new for me to watch the general public being desperate for sanitiser and far more disturbed by the outbreak than I am. I would’ve thought I’d be far more paranoid, but maybe I’m already pretty much maxed out. 

7 hours ago, PetuniaGrimm said:

As of yesterday afternoon, right after I got out of class, my university cancelled all in person classes and moved them online for the next month, after which they will reevaluate 

And now public schools here are closed  indefinitely...still no confirmed cases in WV

Edited by oldbsturgeon

8 hours ago, jsilverjanet said:

Finally a GREAT answer to this lack of toilet paper! Much better than some of the other suggestions I have seen online..FB_IMG_1584083555709.jpg.ccdf10ccc7357f8a00776979add8a168.jpgFB_IMG_1584083563061.jpg.2bc4683c91f990b529c2c0dcd5588ade.jpgFB_IMG_1584083572664.jpg.b4f71a084cb89a12d27edff1f53450c9.jpg20200313_021921.jpg.64c81622b9e942d7fde795eff659b99c.jpg20200313_021907.jpg.fe525a4e4ccfb5eb1c17434b162c1f2e.jpg20200313_022012.jpg.2924f25df1f51f1933d53dabf621403a.jpg

Big Apple Comic Con has been postponed to an unknown later date.

Comic Art Con was just cancelled....

On the upside... I finally have my own seat on the Long Island Railroad on the way home from work.   So at least I've got that going for me. 

If I get my own car I think I'm going to belt out some tunes on the way home and perhaps put on a one man show broadcasting live... 

23 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

On the upside... I finally have my own seat on the Long Island Railroad on the way home from work.   So at least I've got that going for me. 

Good for you for listening to the NYC authorities and finding a seat in isolation.

lol

2 hours ago, D84 said:

Screenshot_20200314-083953_Chrome.thumb.jpg.d41eb68376a36a8e92aa2b333b87b458.jpg

To put this in perspective, there are 7.7 billion people on the planet.  The infection rate is 0.00001975%.  The death rate is 0.0000007275%.

That is just cases and deaths we are aware of.  Context is aways key.   Presenting it this way is a great way to minimize the deaths of 5000+ people, with may more anticipated to come.

To state an “infection rate” that way would indicate that everyone has already been exposed and “only” a small number became infected.  

Edited by GoldenAgeAddict

17 minutes ago, GoldenAgeAddict said:

That is just cases and deaths we are aware of.  Context is aways key.   Presenting it this way is a great way to minimize the deaths of 5000+ people, with may more anticipated to come.

To state an “infection rate” that way would indicate that everyone has already been exposed and “only” a small number became infected.  

I'm going off hard evidence, not hypotheticals of who might have it or possibly get it in the future.  That is only conjecture.

And you are right, I should have said world population infection rate at the time I took the screenshot.  I assumed people understand that these numbers can and will change.

Take precautions, but let's have some perspective.