• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Has the Corona virus affected any cons yet?
7 7

434 posts in this topic

10 minutes ago, D84 said:

I'm going off hard evidence, not hypotheticals of who might have it or possibly get it in the future.  That is only conjecture.

And you are right, I should have said world population infection rate at the time I took the screenshot.  I assumed people understand that these numbers can and will change.

Take precautions, but let's have some perspective. 

I have personal perspective as I am a physician.  Even though the virus does not have proven cases in our area, we are still being cautious and appropriately so

3 minutes ago, GoldenAgeAddict said:

I have personal perspective as I am a physician.  Even though the virus does not have proven cases in our area, we are still being cautious and appropriately so

I agree to be cautious, but the panicking does more harm than good.  That's why I posted those numbers.

If we all follow the CDC precautions, it will be a big help in slowing the spread of the virus and eventually wiping it out.

The news has been whipping people into a frenzy that could be more dangerous than the virus itself.

7 minutes ago, D84 said:

I agree to be cautious, but the panicking does more harm than good.  That's why I posted those numbers.

If we all follow the CDC precautions, it will be a big help in slowing the spread of the virus and eventually wiping it out.

The news has been whipping people into a frenzy that could be more dangerous than the virus itself.

I agree about the media, for the most part.  However, the hard part is not knowing truly how many people are currently infected.  We are following the same curve on cases over time that Italy has, but we are a much larger country without the capacity to handle a proportionally larger number of cases, especially critical cases.   Aggressive action to help prevent the spread is key, but in a calm and safe manner

I saw this last night. I know many here have a problem with Bill Maher but the guest was great at giving perspective on what the risk is and why we behave the way we do in times like these. I feel better now 

6 minutes ago, jsilverjanet said:

I saw this last night. I know many here have a problem with Bill Maher but the guest was great at giving perspective on what the risk is and why we behave the way we do in times like these. I feel better now 

I saw that too.  Thanks for sharing. 

1 hour ago, D84 said:

I'm going off hard evidence, not hypotheticals of who might have it or possibly get it in the future.  That is only conjecture.

And you are right, I should have said world population infection rate at the time I took the screenshot.  I assumed people understand that these numbers can and will change.

Take precautions, but let's have some perspective. 

Perspective is 10% of people who have gotten it have died

2 hours ago, VintageComics said:

Good for you for listening to the NYC authorities and finding a seat in isolation.

lol

It was weird yesterday.  For the first time the subway smelled... clean(?) 

On the Long Island Railroad I got my own two seater all to myself.   It was nice. 

However, I am going through 4 latex gloves a day.  As soon as I get to the turnstyle of the subway I swipe and enter and put my phone in my pocket and pop on the gloves until I get to my destination. Once I leave the subway the gloves come off and are disposed of. I can finally check all the messages I have received during the subway ride.  Then repeat for the way home.   I don't have to touch anything on the LIRR so that is that... 

4 minutes ago, D84 said:

5,600 deaths from 149,000 cases does not equal 10%, it's 3.8%.

The majority of those cases are not resolved. Of resolved cases, the current mortality rate is 7%, according to the very same website you screencapped to illustrate your point. That’s a pretty big deal.

We are going to lose boardies to this. We are going to lose family. Comic pros we all love are going to die

Edited by dupont2005

23 minutes ago, dupont2005 said:

The majority of those cases are not resolved. Of resolved cases, the current mortality rate is 7%. That’s a pretty big deal.

We are going to lose boardies to this. We are going to lose family. Comic pros we all love are going to die

That's right that the closed cases are at 7% right now, which is down from the 10% it was, if I remember correctly on Thursday. We do not know how this will turn out, so...

Take the precautions and slow the spread.

We might lose those people you mentioned, but that is not an absolute. 

Panicking fixes nothing.

Follow the CDC precautions.

Edited by D84

14 minutes ago, dupont2005 said:

The majority of those cases are not resolved. Of resolved cases, the current mortality rate is 7%, according to the very same website you screencapped to illustrate your point. That’s a pretty big deal.

You are spreading fake news and panic. STOP.

3 minutes ago, Mr. Zipper said:

You are spreading fake news and panic. STOP.

I don’t know what qualifies as fake news but the mortality rate is absolutely hard data. Currently at 7% among closed cases. Among open cases 8% are in critical or serious condition. “Fake news” would be saying this global pandemic with a mortality rate currently 70 times as deadly as the flu was no big deal. I hope the exposures at the two recent big political conventions doesn’t mean our elderly senate and Supreme Court aren’t wiped out by this virus because that would be absolute pandemonium. I also hope my mother and grandfather make it through the year. But this is bad news

Here is a fact. The United States has 327 million people and 51 have died as of today. That is one death for every 6.5 million people. (And 20 of those deaths were in one nursing home, which totally skews the data.)

Yes, it will get worse, but this is not going to be a mass casualty event across the nation.

Using words like "wiped out" and "pandemonium," you sound like someone who is panicking and has lost perspective. Pro tip: stay off social media and stop watching the news. Control what you can and stop focusing on what you can't.

28 minutes ago, Mr. Zipper said:

Here is a fact. The United States has 327 million people and 51 have died as of today. That is one death for every 6.5 million people. (And 20 of those deaths were in one nursing home, which totally skews the data.)

Yes, it will get worse, but this is not going to be a mass casualty event across the nation.

Using words like "wiped out" and "pandemonium," you sound like someone who is panicking and has lost perspective. Pro tip: stay off social media and stop watching the news. Control what you can and stop focusing on what you can't.

The word I used was pandemic, which is the word the CDC is using as well. The words the President is using are “national emergency” along with all the restricted air travel and closed schools that comes along with it. I’m not panicked, but I’m a realist when it comes to the circumstance we are in. Conspiracy theories about media hyped panic are what’s dangerous. Rather than get your info from memes, tweets, and rumors, get it from here 

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/cases-updates/summary.html

Edited by dupont2005

Just got back from the local gun shop helping my friend pick out an AR, his wife didn't want anything to do with them until she went to Costco and Sams club yesterday and saw all the desperation buying, she came home and told him to go get one today, lol.
The place was full of people, all buying rifles for the most part. 

3 minutes ago, PetuniaGrimm said:

Just got back from the local gun shop helping my friend pick out an AR, his wife didn't want anything to do with them until she went to Costco and Sams club yesterday and saw all the desperation buying, she came home and told him to go get one today, lol.
The place was full of people, all buying rifles for the most part. 

This is scarier than the virus.