• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Has the Corona virus affected any cons yet?
7 7

434 posts in this topic

On 3/14/2020 at 10:09 AM, D84 said:

The news has been whipping people into a frenzy that could be more dangerous than the virus itself.

This is just about the most accurate comment that I have seen on this thread so far.  (thumbsu

On 3/14/2020 at 11:56 AM, D84 said:

That's right that the closed cases are at 7% right now, which is down from the 10% it was, if I remember correctly on Thursday. We do not know how this will turn out, so...

On 3/14/2020 at 12:06 PM, Mr. Zipper said:

You are spreading fake news and panic. STOP.

On 3/14/2020 at 12:12 PM, dupont2005 said:

I don’t know what qualifies as fake news but the mortality rate is absolutely hard data. Currently at 7% among closed cases. Among open cases 8% are in critical or serious condition.

Probably fake news in the sense that you aren't using all of the relevant numbers in your calculations because we simply don't have all of the numbers yet. :gossip:

Even the WHO acknowledges that any death rate that is stated might actually be on the high side right now because we have the denominator (i.e. total number of cases) in the equation is still being understated by a huge margin due to the lack of testing in some of the major countries like the United States.  hm

On 3/14/2020 at 1:16 PM, jokiing said:
On 3/14/2020 at 1:13 PM, greggy said:

I'm down to 5 rolls.

FML

You can always use old Sears catalogs and comic books....

Well, Greggy's in luck then since I heard that CGC 9.8 graded books have more than double the absorbency as compared to CGC 9.6 or lower graded books.  (thumbsu  lol

Edited by lou_fine

23 hours ago, greggy said:
On 3/14/2020 at 1:13 PM, greggy said:

I'm down to 5 rolls.

FML

Crisis adverted.  I've been able to source a supply that should last me through this issue. 

I guess you must have walked through a London Drugs store or something like that since I walked into one yesterday and they had tons of toilet paper on sale.  (thumbsu

Didn't bothered picking any up since we already have tons of toilet paper sitting in our garage as my wiser half always picks them up whenever she sees them on sale.  Which is almost always since they ALWAYS tend to be on sale and I am sure there are some from 10 years ago sitting in the back of my garage.  :facepalm:

1 hour ago, lou_fine said:

Probably fake news in the sense that you aren't using all of the relevant numbers in your calculations because we simply don't have all of the numbers yet. :gossip:

Even the WHO acknowledges that any death rate that is stated might actually be on the high side right now because we have the denominator (i.e. total number of cases) in the equation is still being understated by a huge margin due to the lack of testing in some of the major countries like the United States.  hm

So the numbers we have are fake because of the speculation of numbers we don’t have. 

1 hour ago, dupont2005 said:
2 hours ago, lou_fine said:

So the numbers we have are fake because of the speculation of numbers we don’t have. 

No, the numbers aren't fake, as they are simply incomplete which then has the potential to result in misleading percentages.

For example, if you are talking about the death rate, it is most likely overstated at this point in time since you are dividing by a number (i.e. total number of cases) that is severely understated because testing is still NOT YET in place to give us an accurate count with respect to this number.  hm

Edited by lou_fine

I'm on some antidepressant medication that has the strange side effect of producing unusually large stools in some people.  Despite experiencing this increased volume myself, I'm surprised at how well my usual stock of toilet roll is holding up, even during this crisis period.

Edited by Ken Aldred

On 3/14/2020 at 5:09 PM, D84 said:

The news has been whipping people into a frenzy that could be more dangerous than the virus itself.

Yup.  Typical Jungian response to a ubiquitious, invisible, potentially injurious or lethal, indefensible threat, now amped up by ease of access to information. Cro-Magnon's sabretooth cat, hiding in the darkness, or a 21st century virus, it's much the same basic reaction and anxiety.

Edited by Ken Aldred

I posted this in the "other coronavirus comics general thread" so sorry if it's a pain. Just want to help anyone out of they need it.

https://www.nowinstock.net/home/healthhousehold/toiletpaper/

Not a perfect site but I was able to grab a 24 pack of mega rolls for $28 shipped to get us through since we didnt stock up before the madness. 

48 minutes ago, BigDaddy1 said:

Niagara Falls Comic Con just released a statement that they are postponing their con into September (no specific dates yet).

:( - yeah a local shop is only doing online sales and have closed their brick and mortar store, which I sometimes visit to pick up a few new books or dig through their back issues... they are offering a few books or two because you have to pay shipping now. 

On 3/14/2020 at 1:08 PM, Mercury Man said:
On 3/14/2020 at 12:56 PM, jsilverjanet said:

My fear is that more irrational behavior will create more panic and cause people to take matters into their own hands 

Given our pretty lax gun laws, this has been going on for years now.   It's just more assuaging psychological fears at this point.  

Example: I have enough anti bac, and Lysol wipes to last for years.  I am not going to get it.  I have enough toilet paper to last my household 1 year.  I am not going to get it.    I have a gun, and now can keep people away from my anti bac and toilet paper...so I still will not get it.

ummm....ok

luckily..., I have enough ammo..., :cool:

Guys like Bob and Dale must be loving the decision to do online sales.  I can't imagine what guys like Harley are doing (who I believe only sells at shows).  Hope all the dealers are moving in a different direction temporarily and things get better soon. 

26 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

Guys like Bob and Dale must be loving the decision to do online sales.  I can't imagine what guys like Harley are doing (who I believe only sells at shows).  Hope all the dealers are moving in a different direction temporarily and things get better soon. 

We only do a minor business on eBay... but beginning this week I'm suspending mail order.  I don't see how it helps things to have me or my staff standing in long lines at the post office.  The bigger volume guys, of course, probably have the post office or UPS pick up stuff directly at their businesses.  But I was wondering... as postal workers come down with the virus (and they will) will they be shutting down affected branches, or at the least won't this be shorting their abilities to keep up with deliveries?  I suspect it's already getting challenging without that, as everyone is increasing their online orders.