• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Could it be color touch? Please see photos with blacklight. Daredevil #14

14 posts in this topic

HI, I recently purchased a cheap blacklight flashlight. I had been through quite a few silver age comics, until this one arrived today, Daredevil #17. This is the first to look strange to me... but I may be overthinking it.

Please have a look at the photos, mostly along the top edge, because I cannot tell if it is normal wear on the yellow, or heavy-handed dry cleaning (which would not appear darker under a blacklight, would it?), or color touch.

The right side of the comic appears trimmed from front cover to mid staples, and is crooked from bottom to top of the comic.

This may only be a printing defect, but I am not sure.

I value anyone elses eyes on this. Thank you!!! :)

IMG_5518.JPG

IMG_5519.JPG

IMG_5520.JPG

IMG_5521.JPG

IMG_5522.JPG

IMG_5523.JPG

IMG_5524.JPG

52 minutes ago, faster friends said:

I would say the black light is inconclusive. Look for bleed thru on the inside front cover.

No bleed on the inside, that I can see, although darker colors would be easier to spot. Seems more like foxing, and the more I stare at it, the more I may be causing my brain to pick things out that are normal. There is an area under DDs left foot that looks like rubbing, but that does not turn pink like the area over the Title.

Thanks for looking! :)

IMG_5525.JPG

Edited by greengroblin

35 minutes ago, greengroblin said:

No bleed on the inside, that I can see, although darker colors would be easier to spot. Seems more like foxing, and the more I stare at it, the more I may be causing my brain to pick things out that are normal. There is an area under DDs left foot that looks like rubbing, but that does not turn pink like the area over the Title.

Thanks for looking! :)

I think it's picking up foxing. The yellows on these SA Marvels can be prone to it, imo. I have an ASM 25 which has clear foxing spots on the front cover.

22 minutes ago, Harry Lime said:

I think it's picking up foxing. The yellows on these SA Marvels can be prone to it, imo. I have an ASM 25 which has clear foxing spots on the front cover.

I can agree with that. It is hard to really capture in a photo without purple glare. I pulled a different yellow comic out to see if there was a similar effect. I think I am just paranoid also! haha

IMG_5526.JPG

IMG_5527.JPG

IMG_5528.JPG

IMG_5529.JPG

I've never encountered this before. I don't see a problem, but it's possible because the comic is old. I've never encountered such a problem. You can talk to the salesman at the comic book store. They usually know all about it. I recently discovered the world of comics, and I love it. At night I take my flashlight https://www.amazon.com/Vont-Flashlight-Flashlights-Water-Resistant-Accessories/dp/B089T8HDBV and read superhero stories. You can also try reading comics at night because that's how you get immersed in the sci-fi atmosphere.

Edited by Lazzaross

Years ago I stopped depending on black light as too many common substances "fluoresce" under it. Now I use bright daylight (58K) bulbs, observing at various angles both naked eye and under a loupe. In suspect areas, if they are not immediately apparent, I look at dot patterns, color match, surface reflectivity and, of course any bleed-thru on the flip side. 

Edited by PovertyRow