• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

There Are No Fakes - Documentary

16 posts in this topic

I wanted to share this here with the community because while this does specifically delve into the story of the much contested and fraudulent art of the "Picasso of the North", this could very easily apply to any big money collectibles market.

It has tones of the scheming opportunism that followed folk art painter Clementine Hunter, but with a more deeply profound and stranger than fiction twist of bad actors and a crime forgery ring.

It took Kevin Hearn of the Barenaked Ladies to bring this matter in front of the courts for the truth to come forward, and what follows is an eye-opening expose that shines a bright light on those most invested in continuing to obscure the truth.

https://www.tvo.org/video/documentaries/there-are-no-fakes  (Regional restrictions may apply if you live outside of Canada)

FOR PEOPLE OUTSIDE CANADA: visit this link on YouTube. For some reason, if I embed it in the post it won't work, but if you visit YouTube and watch it there, it works.

Edited by comicwiz

1 hour ago, ESeffinga said:

I’d watch it,  but I just get an unavailable error.

That's weird. It's from TVO's YouTube channel. I wonder if it's a regional restriction.

Try this link instead (I've updated the post with this so let me know if this works)

https://www.tvo.org/video/documentaries/there-are-no-fakes

45 minutes ago, ESeffinga said:

That works. You gotta just go to YouTube and search for the title yourself. It just won’t play with redirect links.

Everything is trailers or under 5 min. I assume it's longer?

3 hours ago, ESeffinga said:

That works. You gotta just go to YouTube and search for the title yourself. It just won’t play with redirect links.

@Taylor G @Twanj@Buzzetta hey guys, sorry I don't know what else to recommend. I think @ESeffinga is right, there might be some algorithm that prevents it from playing with redirects.

If you search for "There Are No Fakes" in YouTube's search, it should show up as the one with the most time (just under one two hours). I highlighted in the screenshot below in the red square. Guys, it's worth the effort. This is an incredible story and one anyone that collects anything should watch to really understand the criminality and interconnections when fakes and forgeries proliferate:

image.thumb.png.dadd585130281dbf453a4b37b2b33160.png

Actually I was incorrect. I bookmarked it when it popped up, but when I went to watch it this afternoon it was just a thing about the doc by it’s creators, not the doc itself. After a bunch more searching YouTube it’s not available, just trailers as others reported.

21 minutes ago, Bronty said:

That sucks.  I’ve been victim of the same thing in reverse sooooo many times.   Hopefully it gets released to the US soon

This^

I didn't think this would have had the reverse effect to be honest.

I think this was too recently released here in Canada (I believe early screening for Festival started in December of last year, but only started showing in parts of Canada in Feb). I contacted their website asking if there was an option for people outside of Canada to view this. If I hear anything I'll post it here.

I do wonder if this will eventually be picked-up by any streaming services like Netflix or Amazon Prime. Outside what I said already, this is a very well done documentary. The pace makes the near two hours fly by.