• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Wild Wacky World of Esoteric Oddball Comics!
5 5

303 posts in this topic

31 minutes ago, catman76 said:

Yep Chambers drew probably half of the Ribtickler giant and it's in his super fast reefer style. He would lock himself in his apartment with tons of weed and heroin and crank out an entire 52 comic or more over a weekend.

Funny animal comics are the most interesting to me, most were done by animators from Fleischer and Terrytoons on the side for some extra money. All the animation studios and comic publishers were within walking distance of each other in New York. Ferstadt was a big time New York guy, had many newspaper strips going, did tons of mural work all around New York so I am sure he was doing some comic book work on the side for anyone too. Publishers would also just buy art from basically anyone that came in and it seems really didn't care at all about what funny animal stuff they published so you get this crazy off the wall stuff that borders on outsider art , art brut stuff that's completely out there and nuts.

For some reason it all got reigned in by 1950. All that stuff disappeared and everything became really bland and predictable. Even Ellis Chambers' early and mid 1950s stuff is almost unrecognizable, the life is gone out of it. I guess publishers and editors stopped just accepting and publishing anything at all and demanded some sanity for some reason. Most likely to try and compete with the slick Disney comics which were the best selling comics selling in the millions per issue. it's a shame.

I think it really has to due with the changing interests of the times, with most publisheds pretty much giving up on anthropomorphic-funny animals by 1948, except for publishers like DC, Nedor, American Comics Group, and of course Dell. By then, romance, western, horror, and crime comics had gained more interest, and even after the parent complaints and renewed superhero interest in 1956, those sorts of comics would gain more interest and widespread publication again by the 70s, with anthropomorphic-funny animals pretty much being relegated to Disney and Looney Tunes. Even previously popular animal characters like Woody Woodpecker, Tom and Jerry, and Felix the Cat had lost much more popularity by then as well.

On 10/1/2020 at 10:34 PM, Electricmastro said:

I think it really has to due with the changing interests of the times, with most publisheds pretty much giving up on anthropomorphic-funny animals by 1948, except for publishers like DC, Nedor, American Comics Group, and of course Dell. By then, romance, western, horror, and crime comics had gained more interest, and even after the parent complaints and renewed superhero interest in 1956, those sorts of comics would gain more interest and widespread publication again by the 70s, with anthropomorphic-funny animals pretty much being relegated to Disney and Looney Tunes. Even previously popular animal characters like Woody Woodpecker, Tom and Jerry, and Felix the Cat had lost much more popularity by then as well.

Yeah I just mean the style and everything got really reigned in by 1950  and it was because of the immense popularity of Disney comics and other dell titles like New Funnies and andy panda and all that. So of course publishers tried to emulate that and actually started caring about what they published instead of not caring and having heir funny animal comics be like something from the art brut museum. Which is a shame. Same thing happened to animated cartoons in the early 30s when everyone stopped making imaginaitive creative crazy cartoons and started copying Disney and everything became slick and boring. Really only Terrytoons didn't do that because paul terry just did not care so you have crazy great jim tyer and connie rasinski animated terrytoons cartoons well into the late 50s. Same thing happened with comic books in general in the early days fo the late 30s to about 1942 when they just published anything and didnt care and then it all got reigned in really fast. Someone like a Fletcher Hanks would have never been published past 1941 or 42.

14 hours ago, MusterMark said:

I had no idea that Bedrock was a space adventurer!  Hey, Mr. B., the secret is out!!!  :baiting:

(And certainly gives a new meaning to "Houston Astros").  (:

I later came to conclusion that was also drawn by Lou Ferstadt, based on how a visually similar Rick Evans story from 1944’s Everybody’s Comics had an “F” signature. He was known as a painter who made murals with that surreal quality. His comic work wasn’t always like that, aside from perhaps the occasional burst of inspiration in which he felt like taking the time to draw a panel, such as an underwater or castle scene, in the style of those murals. I also understand Ferstadt ran his own studio, doing work for publishers like Fox and Ace. I suspect panels like these were either done by Ferstadt himself or in the style of him.

mzYxghx.png

Four Favorites #12 (November, 1943):

iLeXcrX.jpg

Four Favorites #13 (February, 1944):

JgHh6sI.jpg

The Bouncer #13 (November, 1944):

nW55KaF.jpg

Book of All-Comics (1945):

1GR9GKS.jpg

10 minutes ago, Electricmastro said:

I later came to conclusion that was also drawn by Lou Ferstadt, based on how a visually similar Rick Evans story from 1944’s Everybody’s Comics had an “F” signature. He was known as a painter who made murals with that surreal quality. His comic work wasn’t always like that, aside from perhaps the occasional burst of inspiration in which he felt like taking the time to draw a panel, such as an underwater or castle scene, in the style of those murals. I also understand Ferstadt ran his own studio, doing work for publishers like Fox and Ace. I suspect panels like these were either done by Ferstadt himself or in the style of him.

mzYxghx.png

Four Favorites #12 (November, 1943):

iLeXcrX.jpg

Four Favorites #13 (February, 1944):

JgHh6sI.jpg

The Bouncer #13 (November, 1944):

nW55KaF.jpg

Book of All-Comics (1945):

1GR9GKS.jpg

Very cool info.  (thumbsu

Love the art.

Thank you so much for telling me, Electroccomastro(serio) !