• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Should I press my hulk 181?
1 1

15 posts in this topic

I never cracked a slab for a press and regrade before what do you think...

I don't see the crease right top front cover that breaks color...I dont think it exists lol.

Screenshot_20200307-130622_Chrome.thumb.jpg.f6889a41efdb2be16e18bdaac46cde6b.jpg

Screenshot_20200220-072727_Gallery.jpg

20200307_163420.jpg

20200307_163357.jpg

20200307_163427.jpg

20200307_163424.jpg

20200307_163436.jpg

20200307_163431.jpg

20200307_163439.jpg

I had pretty much the exact same situation. My 181 was a 6.5. 

I wanted to get it reholdered, went to my LCS and the owner was pretty sure a press and dry clean would get a grad bump. 

My grader notes were very similar. Soiling on the back cover and multiple non color breaking bends on the back cover. 

I did it through CCS and it bumped from a 6.5 to 7. 

In my unprofessional opinion, given the graders notes, I think it would help.  But it's always a gamble and I wouldn't expect a massive change.

So if the upside is a half point change, is it worth the $$ and risk? 

The most likely downside risk is, the grade stays the same.

There is of course the chance you'll move up more than a half point, and there's the chance someone at cgc disagrees with the initial grade and actually down grades you.  I've read about both scenerios on these forums. 

25 minutes ago, Artboy99 said:

looks like a 7.0 -7.5 to me. Is the value difference enough to make it worth doing?

I would just leave it and enjoy as it is.

Given the 16 or 17 visible color breaking spine creases, I'm puzzled why anyone is counseling him to press and resubmit.  You can press it til doomsday and those creases are not going anywhere and it'll never go above 7.0/7.5 max. (shrug)

1 hour ago, Mr. Zipper said:

Given the 16 or 17 visible color breaking spine creases, I'm puzzled why anyone is counseling him to press and resubmit.  You can press it til doomsday and those creases are not going anywhere and it'll never go above 7.0/7.5 max. (shrug)

Yeah, those large spine stresses are very significant.  7.5 seems a stretch, even with all the pressing and cleaning in the world.  And there's always a possibility this copy could come back a 6.5 hm

6 minutes ago, mosconi said:

Yeah, those large spine stresses are very significant.  7.5 seems a stretch, even with all the pressing and cleaning in the world.  And there's always a possibility this copy could come back a 6.5 hm

Agree totally. I would take the 7.0 and run.

1 hour ago, Mr. Zipper said:

I think this reflects the current SOP- don’t think, always press, pressing always makes a book better no matter what the grade is.  That’s how all the flippers are operating.  Pretty sad.

23 hours ago, Randall Dowling said:

I think this reflects the current SOP- don’t think, always press, pressing always makes a book better no matter what the grade is.  That’s how all the flippers are operating.  Pretty sad.

Yeah... I'm kinda noticing that... in the grading threads especially. I used to be here a lot in the early days and tapered off for the past 5 years or so.

Coming back and becoming more active again... I noticed almost EVERY grading thread has a Pavlovian "It'll be grade X if pressed" response. Apparently SOP for every book now. 9_9

On 3/11/2020 at 8:30 PM, Mr. Zipper said:

It has an accumulation of color breaking spine creases from the blue circle down to Wolverine's wrist area. Maybe you could squeeze a 7.5 out of it, but given those creases, I'd be surprised if it went higher.

Screenshot_20200220-072727_Gallery jpg 3ed5e47def719dec6415a2ae1aa80359 jpg  1080×2220 .jpg

I agree with this that is a lot of spine ticks I am surprised, I can't see it going higher than it currently is. I would just be happy with the grade. Unless you want the back to look cleaner and whiter for personal reasons, otherwise I would leave it 

Edited by Krismusic