• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Argosy Comic Book Price Guide
1 1

29 posts in this topic

Before we begin, the usual rules...

• 1) All prices include shipping in the US! We will calculate fair shipping to Canada and other parts of the globe!
  • 2) Any item is fully guaranteed, and fully returnable for any reason - NO EXPLANATION NECESSARY!
  • 3) All forms of payment - cash, checks, credit cards, Paypal, barter - will be considered!
  • 4) First "I'll Take It" gets it!
  • 5) Time payments are welcome, but a 20% non-refundable deposit is required to start any layaway!
  • 6) High quality Thread-crapping is encouraged!

Our paypal address is - payments@bedrockcity.com

Checks should be made out to:

• Bedrock City
  • 6516-D Westheimer Rd.
  • Houston, TX. 77057

Please enjoy!

2 minutes ago, MrBedrock said:

One cool item today - An Argosy Price Guide from 1965, CGC graded 9.4 - $1500

One of, if not the first published comic book price guide. Pre-dates Overstreet by six years. This is the only copy on the CGC census and the nicest copy I have ever seen.

argosy.jpeg

argosyb.jpeg

Very neat! 

8 minutes ago, JollyComics said:

Have you flipped pages before it got slabbed?

I did. Pretty cool seeing the hobby in its infancy. The info is very basic and there are many mistakes in regards to first and last issues.

1 hour ago, MrBedrock said:

I did. Pretty cool seeing the hobby in its infancy. The info is very basic and there are many mistakes in regards to first and last issues.

Did you recall any mega-key books with grades and prices?  It would be intriguing.

Just now, JollyComics said:

Did you recall any mega-key books with grades and prices?  It would be intriguing.

I don't remember specifics but I also don't believe anything was more than $100.

20 minutes ago, MrBedrock said:

I don't remember specifics but I also don't believe anything was more than $100.

I was only an infant by that year.  My parents bought 1965 Ford Fairlane 500 for only $2,317.

One man bought VG Batman #1 for $100 in 1969. Everyone looked at him in misbelief. That was my father's old high school classmate. He passed away in 1979 and no one knows what happened to his gem copy.

20 minutes ago, Comicshows said:

Interesting with a $5 cover price. Who would have bought it for that back then? As a side note I did have one of these but nowhere near as nice. Wound up selling it a year ago. 

1st Overstreet Price Guide has $5 cover price in 1970.

16 minutes ago, aardvark88 said:

Does Argosy have the 'Mary Poppins' typed remarque in the frontispiece? Krack it.

It has that odd quote that seems weirdly out of place if that is what you are referring to.

16 hours ago, Yellow Kid said:

When Leonard Brown and I started our collectible comics mail order business in 1959, we wondered if a book would ever sell for $50.  Once that barrier was broken, we were pretty sure that $100 was not possible.  But as the sources for buying old comics increased, the number of collectors increased as well.  At that point in time, the reprint comics ruled the hobby and Flash Gordon, Prince Valiant, and Tarzan ruled the hobby.  The Flash Gordon Feature Book #25 was the most expensive book in the hobby. 

This is very interesting.  When I was a kid in the 70s, Feature Book 26 with Prince Valiant and Single Series 20 with Tarzan were really considered huge.  I never heard of Feature Book 25 being on the same level or above.  Thanks for sharing!  (thumbsu

Edited by Randall Dowling
In erratum

1 hour ago, Randall Dowling said:

This is very interesting.  When I was a kid in the 70s, Feature Book 26 with Prince Valiant and Single Series 5 with Tarzan were really considered huge.  I never heard of Feature Book 25 being on the same level or above.  Thanks for sharing!  (thumbsu

You meant Single Series #20 with Tarzan, correct? That was a big one in the 1970’s.

I never heard that about Feature Book #25 either. I do know the hobby was extremely fragmented up until the early 60’s when fandom started getting together on a wider level. What was available and where and for how much varied greatly. If early fandom was the Wild West then consider the previous period the Stone Age of collecting.There was actually a fair amount of pushback when Overstreet published his first guide in 1970 too. Not everyone was onboard. Even after years of early guides being out the market varied a lot with both price and condition standards. Just like a lot of collectors/dealers tried to ignore the concept of slabbing books the same feeling was felt about Overstreet by some in the early years. I clearly remember some dealers mocking  the prices and grading standards as a kid...

Edited by N e r V