• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Argosy Comic Book Price Guide
1 1

29 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Yellow Kid said:

By the time of the first guide, Leonard Brown and Malcolm Willits were doing well at Collectors Bookstore.  Leonard wouldn't use the guide and had his own little black book of prices.  Each year he would tell me about a title or company that had become very popular and a little research showed that it was the area where his pricing was lower than the prices in the guide.  I should add that sometimes the discrepancy was in the other direction,  and then he couldn't sell those books until the next guide was published.  It was a lot of fun watching the hobby develop in Southern California.

You seem like the type person that I would really enjoy spending an afternoon with and listening to how it was back when this was more of a hobby and less of a business.  Yes, people still bought and sold books, however, I think there was more of a love for the books back then and less of a "I am only in it for the money" attitude, that I see from many (not all) people in the field today.

Thanks for sharing your insights and remembrances of a "simpler" time.

BTW - Awesome book Richard - GLWTS

27 minutes ago, MrBedrock said:

I get to thread-krap my own thread...

singleseries20.jpg

That’s a stunning copy. I’ve seen those slide pretty cheap recently under the radar I guess but to me it’s still a great book to own, value be damned. Brings back great memories of wonder seeing that cover in price guides, catalogues of what not of the era. 

4 hours ago, N e r V said:

That’s a stunning copy. I’ve seen those slide pretty cheap recently under the radar I guess but to me it’s still a great book to own, value be damned. Brings back great memories of wonder seeing that cover in price guides, catalogues of what not of the era. 

It was on my must have list for a long time. When Brian Peete first brought out the Central Valley books he showed me this one but it wasn't for sale yet. I kind of gave him one of those "just tell me what you want" offers. I may never recover what I paid but I have still more than gotten my money out of it just in the thrill of getting to look at it. It is very purdy.

On 3/9/2020 at 4:25 PM, MrBedrock said:

One cool item today - An Argosy Price Guide from 1965, CGC graded 9.4 - $1500 Sold!

One of, if not the first published comic book price guide. Pre-dates Overstreet by six years. This is the only copy on the CGC census and the nicest copy I have ever seen.

argosy.jpeg

argosyb.jpeg

Sold via PM!

On 3/11/2020 at 9:34 AM, MrBedrock said:

I get to thread-krap my own thread...

singleseries20.jpg

What's not to like. The logo and the "64 pages in full color" blurb remind me of DC comics of the era. The design of the cover artwork is well done and the coloring is also quite nice and fairly sophisticated. I can see why this was a must have book for those who had grown up on the Tarzan strips.