• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Coronavirus's impact on the worldwide box office
3 3

572 posts in this topic

In an unprecedented announcement, the studio will send 17 films — including 'The Matrix 4,' 'The Suicide Squad' and 'Dune' to its streaming service for 31 days the same day they hit theaters.

Warner Bros. is plotting a sweeping response to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, which has shuttered movie theaters around the country. After announcing that Wonder Woman 1984 will go to HBO Max as well as theaters on Dec. 25, the studio has laid out a similar path for its 2021 slate amid uncertainty about when movie-going will get back to normal.

The studio announced Thursday day-and-date releases for its 17-film slate, which will hit HBO Max for a one-month window that starts the same day they will be available in U.S. theaters.

The studio's 2021 slate includes projects such as The Suicide Squad, The Matrix 4, Dune, Godzilla vs. Kong and Space Jam: A New Legacy. Other films include Little Things, Judas and the Black Messiah, Tom & Jerry, Mortal Kombat, Those Who Wish Me Dead, The Conjuring: The Devil Made Me Do It, In The Heights, Reminiscence, Malignant, The Many Saints of Newark, King Richard and Cry Macho.

The unprecedented move is likely to catch theater owners off guard and upsets a model that has been in place for decades. Warner Bros. stresses that these are pandemic-only rules, but once a something is broken, can you really put it back together again? This also raises serious concerns about the landscape of movie-going in 2021.

Sources say these discussions were kept close to the vest and not shared with many exhibitors. Warner Bros. will likely have to agree to far more generous terms with theater owners to avoid them boycotting their films. Insiders say the Wonder Woman 1984 split of ticket sales is far better for exhibitors than normal. Sources also say the studio did not inform partners such as Legendary, which has Godzilla vs. Kong, that their films were included in this plan.

“We’re living in unprecedented times which call for creative solutions, including this new initiative for the Warner Bros. Pictures Group,” said Ann Sarnoff, chair and CEO, WarnerMedia Studios and Networks Group “No one wants films back on the big screen more than we do. We know new content is the lifeblood of theatrical exhibition, but we have to balance this with the reality that most theaters in the U.S. will likely operate at reduced capacity throughout 2021. With this unique one-year plan, we can support our partners in exhibition with a steady pipeline of world-class films, while also giving moviegoers who may not have access to theaters or aren’t quite ready to go back to the movies the chance to see our amazing 2021 films. We see it as a win-win for film lovers and exhibitors, and we’re extremely grateful to our filmmaking partners for working with us on this innovative response to these circumstances.”

“After considering all available options and the projected state of moviegoing throughout 2021, we came to the conclusion that this was the best way for WarnerMedia’s motion picture business to navigate the next 12 months,” said WarnerMedia CEO Jason Kilar. “More importantly, we are planning to bring consumers 17 remarkable movies throughout the year, giving them the choice and the power to decide how they want to enjoy these films. Our content is extremely valuable, unless it’s sitting on a shelf not being seen by anyone. We believe this approach serves our fans, supports exhibitors and filmmakers, and enhances the HBO Max experience, creating value for all.”

“This hybrid exhibition model enables us to best support our films, creative partners and moviegoing in general throughout 2021,” said Warner Bros. Pictures Group chairman Toby Emmerich. “We have a fantastic, wide-ranging slate of titles from talented and visionary filmmakers next year, and we’re excited to be able get these movies in front of audiences around the world. And, as always, we’ll support all of our releases with innovative and robust marketing campaigns for their theatrical debuts, while highlighting this unique opportunity to see our films domestically via HBO Max as well.”

HBO Max is only available in the United States, and Warners' 2021 slate will roll out internationally in theaters as planned.  The move comes after Warners released Christopher Nolan's Tenet in theaters this summer amid challenges faced by the pandemic.

When Warner Bros. announced that “Wonder Woman 1984” would land on the streaming service HBO Max on Christmas, the same time it debuts in theaters, many expected it to be an isolated case in response to an unprecedented pandemic.

Instead, the studio will deploy a similar release strategy for the next 12 months. In a surprising break from industry standards, Warner Bros.’ entire 2021 slate — a list of films that includes “The Matrix 4,” Denis Villeneuve’s “Dune” remake, Lin-Manuel Miranda’s musical adaptation of “In the Heights,” “Sopranos” prequel “The Many Saints of Newark” and “The Suicide Squad” — will debut both on HBO Max and in theaters on their respective release dates. The shocking move to simultaneously release movies day-and-date underscores the crisis facing movie theaters and the rising importance of streaming services in the wake of a global health crisis that’s decimated the film exhibition community.

Warner Bros.’ 2021 release slate also includes Denzel Washington’s thriller “The Little Things,” biographical drama “Judas and the Black Messiah,” a remake of “Tom and Jerry,” “Godzilla vs. Kong,” video game adaptation “Mortal Kombat,” “Those Who Wish Me Dead,” “The Conjuring: The Devil Made Me Do It,” “Space Jam: A New Legacy,” “Reminiscence,” James Wan’s “Malignant” and sports drama “King Richard.”

In the short term, the move will inject some welcome buzz into HBO Max, a Netflix challenger that launched last spring without generating much sizzle. One of WarnerMedia’s key rivals, the Walt Disney Company has strengthened its share price because of its investment in streaming offerings such as Disney Plus even as its core theme parks and film businesses have cratered. WarnerMedia and its corporate parent AT&T are likely making the move with an eye towards pleasing Wall Street.

Like “Wonder Woman 1984,” the films that Warner Bros. plans to release in 2021 will be available to HBO Max subscribers for 31 days. After the one-month mark, those movies will only play in theaters until they reach the traditional home entertainment frame. From there, people can rent through online platforms like Amazon, iTunes or Fandango. It’s unclear when the titles will return to HBO Max.

WarnerMedia chair and CEO Ann Sarnoff referred to the model as a “unique one-year plan.” Executives at the company have stressed the initiative isn’t expected to continue into 2022 or beyond — it’s considered a temporary solution in response to the ongoing global heath crisis.

“We’re living in unprecedented times which call for creative solutions, including this new initiative for the Warner Bros. Pictures Group,” Sarnoff said in a statement. “No one wants films back on the big screen more than we do. We know new content is the lifeblood of theatrical exhibition, but we have to balance this with the reality that most theaters in the U.S. will likely operate at reduced capacity throughout 2021.”

“With this unique one-year plan, we can support our partners in exhibition with a steady pipeline of world-class films, while also giving moviegoers who may not have access to theaters or aren’t quite ready to go back to the movies the chance to see our amazing 2021 films,” she continued. “We see it as a win-win for film lovers and exhibitors, and we’re extremely grateful to our filmmaking partners for working with us on this innovative response to these circumstances.”

This is the trend that all studios with streaming services will follow as monthly subscriptions >>>>> box office returns that they have to share with the theatres for them. Even D+ will sooner than later have to move that way as their content library is light.

Edited by kimik

Totally crazy, I can't even wrap my head around a move like this. Surely they'll be losing 100s of millions of dollars right? I understand it may drive new subscribers to HBOMax, but you're effectively taking all your tickets sales and turning them down to 1 per household. Of course thats provided no one calls friends over to watch something, or shares their password with other people, not to mention the 4k quality piracy that will come out of this because HBOMax doesn't exist anywhere outside of the US. Baffled. Disneys investor meeting is the 10th or 11th right? I guess its only a matter of time before they jump on this train too I'd imagine. I'm not saying I won't enjoy having new content to watch, because I've been missing it, but what the actual consequences of this will be is yet to be seen.

1 hour ago, paperheart said:

and here's the "stock" market reaction

The Suicide Squad (SUIC2)

H$100.65 H$65.91 (39.57%)

Change TodayCurrent Value

Dune (DUNE)

H$99.09 H$60.54 (37.93%)

selling only accelerated

H$74.38 H$92.18 (55.34%)

Dune (DUNE)

H$75.21 H$84.42 (52.88%)

2 hours ago, paperheart said:

and here's the "stock" market reaction

H$100.65 H$65.91 (39.57%)

Change TodayCurrent Value

Dune (DUNE)

H$99.09 H$60.54 (37.93%)

12 minutes ago, paperheart said:

selling only accelerated

H$74.38 H$92.18 (55.34%)

Dune (DUNE)

H$75.21 H$84.42 (52.88%)

Please explain the value of this fake studio stock market. I'm really interesting in what statistical value this brings to the conversation.

31 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

Please explain the value of this fake studio stock market. I'm really interesting in what statistical value this brings to the conversation.

let's see, the market had expected Suicide Squad to do $166MM in its first 4 weeks of release, now it expects it to do $74MM. therefore, WB's pandemic related move is directly tied to coronavirus's impact on the world wide box office (which i believe is the title of your thread) :idea:

Edited by paperheart

1 minute ago, paperheart said:

let's see, the market had expected Suicide Squad to do $166MM in its first 4 weeks of release, now it expects it to do $74MM. therefore, WB's pandemic related move is directly impacting coronavirus's impact on the world wide box office (which i believe is the title of your thread)

If you step back and think through the situation for a moment, what the studios are dealing with is a pandemic-based backlog of product waiting repeatedly for a big shift in vaccines and consumers being comfortable to go back into the theaters.

It's a tough situation for all these studios. Everything in the 2020 queue is holding up the next group of 2021 films. So throwing out estimates on box office results in the heat of a pandemic working toward a vaccine-safe could be ignoring reality.

https://deadline.com/2020/12/amc-responds-to-hbo-max-warner-bros-theatrical-model-2021-suicide-squad-matrix-4-dune-1234650125/

AMC Boss Adam Aron On Warner Bros HBO Max 2021 Theatrical Window Shakeup: Studio Sacrificing “Considerable” Profit

probably doesn't know what he's talking about so disregard

Edited by paperheart

3 hours ago, Grails said:

I have HBOMAX and I refuse to watch Dune, The Matrix 4 and Godzilla V Kong on it.  

no one should ever watch a MATRIX movie again, obviously, after the horrific sequels. but i will gladly shell out lots of money to watch DUNE at home instead of risking my life to see it in a theatre, or waiting 6-12 months more for it to be safe to do so again. 

4 minutes ago, paperheart said:

https://deadline.com/2020/12/amc-responds-to-hbo-max-warner-bros-theatrical-model-2021-suicide-squad-matrix-4-dune-1234650125/

AMC Boss Adam Aron On Warner Bros HBO Max 2021 Theatrical Window Shakeup: Studio Sacrificing “Considerable” Profit

probably doesn't know what he's talking about so disregard

These coronavirus-impacted times are uncharted waters for all of us, which is why AMC signed on to an HBO Max exception to customary practices for one film only, Wonder Woman 1984, being released by Warner Brothers at Christmas when the pandemic appears that it will be at its height. However, Warner now hopes to do this for all their 2021 theatrical movies, despite the likelihood that with vaccines right around the corner the theatre business is expected to recover.”

We see every day here fellow forumites noting they don't care if theaters are open in 2020 or early 2021. They are going to hold off going to theaters for a while due to the concerns of COVID. Which will probably linger on even after the initial vaccines are issued.

You have to factor this mindset in the reality of COVID after all these deaths around the world. Right?

Does anyone really believe in 2021 theaters and box office results are going to be back to 2019 rates?

It's a really tough situation. I wonder if other studios will make the jump or stay the course.

Disney will be telling what it does after this news. It has a massive backlog waiting to move forward.

13 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

We see every day here fellow forumites noting they don't care if theaters are open in 2020 or early 2021. They are going to hold off going to theaters for a while due to the concerns of COVID. Which will probably linger on even after the initial vaccines are issued.

You have to factor this mindset in the reality of COVID after all these deaths around the world. Right?

Does anyone really believe in 2021 theaters and box office results are going to be back to 2019 rates?

nope, which is why "stock" of movies like Black Widow have tanked from pre-pandemic levels

Black Widow (BWDOW)

H$144.19 H$12.47 (7.96%)

image.png.4f9eb77b9b83c074ec190766949b90ac.png

Edited by paperheart

1 minute ago, paperheart said:

nope, which is why "stock" of movies like Black Widow have tanked from pre-pandemic levels

Black Widow (BWDOW)

H$144.19 H$12.47 (7.96%)

image.png.1811f59b1a51f0e9d4966b21898cde11.png

It sucks. Thousands of people contributing to these films now most probably unemployed and hungry to get back to work.

But like the AMC boss even had to admit, these are still uncharted waters. Even the best of the box office forecasters out there can't keep it straight what is going to happen. But they try.