• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Coronavirus's impact on the worldwide box office
3 3

572 posts in this topic

AMC Theatres will require all of its customers to wear masks when it reopens its theaters nationwide next month, the company said Friday.

It was a quick reversal for the world's largest movie theater chain, which said on Thursday guests would be required to wear masks only in areas of the country where masks are mandatory.

The company was harshly criticized on social media following remarks from CEO Adam Aron to Variety, in which he said that the chain would not require masks to avoid being "drawn into a political controversy."

Aron echoed that sentiment in an interview with CNN Business on Thursday, saying "we want to keep the politics out of our theaters" and "we didn't want to step into that controversy."

"So what we're doing is we're encouraging people to wear a mask, but not necessarily requiring it," Aron said on Thursday to CNN.

Given that the face mask is the newest global fashion trend and could be here to stay, I think we'll see more of the same on TV and the big screen, especially the MCU which reflects real life better than DC, imo. I wouldn't be surprised  if we see heroes who traditionally haven't worn masks that cover the nose and mouth suddenly get one.

925449479_MoonKnightMask.thumb.jpg.9e623828499960b6614dd4443a0a9708.jpg790286842_briemask.jpg.7e4d738f1e53bfb88c11a46f4a520f2c.jpg

1 hour ago, @therealsilvermane said:

Given that the face mask is the newest global fashion trend and could be here to stay, I think we'll see more of the same on TV and the big screen, especially the MCU which reflects real life better than DC, imo. I wouldn't be surprised  if we see heroes who traditionally haven't worn masks that cover the nose and mouth suddenly get one.

925449479_MoonKnightMask.thumb.jpg.9e623828499960b6614dd4443a0a9708.jpg790286842_briemask.jpg.7e4d738f1e53bfb88c11a46f4a520f2c.jpg

I respect you have a creative bias. But I have to disagree only the MCU uses real-world themes associated with its productions.

• The Dark Knight Rises: Terrorist activities disrupting normal society requiring patriots to sacrifice for the local citizens
  • Joker: Class warfare leads to drastic reactions from the downtrodden including a more extreme leader due to their frustrations
  • Batman Begins: The actions of an individual willing to sacrifice his life to save a crime-ridden city leads to hope for its citizens
  • Man of Steel: An immigrant inspired not only by his natural parent's sacrifice but also his adopted parents leads to him becoming the world's savior, inspiring hope for others around him

You may be missing out on the larger comic book film and TV genre. :foryou:

Edited by Bosco685

22 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

I respect you have a creative bias. But I have to disagree only the MCU uses real-world themes associated with its productions.

• The Dark Knight Rises: Terrorist activities disrupting normal society requiring patriots to sacrifice for the local citizens
  • Joker: Class warfare leads to drastic reactions from the downtrodden including a more extreme leader due to their frustrations
  • Batman Begins: The actions of an individual willing to sacrifice his life to save a crime-ridden city leads to hope for its citizens
  • Man of Steel: An immigrant inspired not only by his natural parent's sacrifice but also his adopted parents leads to him becoming the world's savior, inspiring hope for others around him

You may be missing out on the larger comic book film and TV genre. :foryou:

Point taken. However, I'm not really talking about metaphors or story themes relevant to real human existence. I admit, DC does that well in their comics (Watchmen, Dark Knight Returns, etc) and in the movies. I'm simply talking about our heroes living and breathing in a world that looks and acts much like an everyday world. This was kind of the heart of the Marvel Revolution in the 1960's. Bringing the real world into the lives of super-heroes like Spider-Man or the FF. Marvel Comics don't necessarily deal with life metaphors like DC as much as Marvel Comics have always just felt like real life. I think Kevin Feige understands this, and brought this sensibility to the MCU. Yes, while the successful Batman movies of Tim Burton and Chris Nolan, the epic DC movies produced by Zach Snyder, and the Scorsese-inspired Joker film are deep in human metaphors, the MCU generally lack such deep human metaphors and subtextual themes and instead just feel like real everyday next door life (Infinity Stones and Thanos aside). This is more what I mean by Marvel reflecting real life better. Kind of what Marvel Comics have always done. Which is why I wonder if our MCU heroes that don't already have full face masks might at least get nose and mouth covering masks like Winter Soldier.

2 hours ago, @therealsilvermane said:

Point taken. However, I'm not really talking about metaphors or story themes relevant to real human existence. I admit, DC does that well in their comics (Watchmen, Dark Knight Returns, etc) and in the movies. I'm simply talking about our heroes living and breathing in a world that looks and acts much like an everyday world. This was kind of the heart of the Marvel Revolution in the 1960's. Bringing the real world into the lives of super-heroes like Spider-Man or the FF. Marvel Comics don't necessarily deal with life metaphors like DC as much as Marvel Comics have always just felt like real life. I think Kevin Feige understands this, and brought this sensibility to the MCU. Yes, while the successful Batman movies of Tim Burton and Chris Nolan, the epic DC movies produced by Zach Snyder, and the Scorsese-inspired Joker film are deep in human metaphors, the MCU generally lack such deep human metaphors and subtextual themes and instead just feel like real everyday next door life (Infinity Stones and Thanos aside). This is more what I mean by Marvel reflecting real life better. Kind of what Marvel Comics have always done. Which is why I wonder if our MCU heroes that don't already have full face masks might at least get nose and mouth covering masks like Winter Soldier.

I appreciate you recognizing the point.

Despite the influence that lasted over 20 films (Infinity Stones, Thanos) and the Sokovia Accords (UN panel meant to control individual super-powered beings), the MCU is like the other studios. I think DC and Marvel (Fox, MCU, Sony) films attempt to factor in real-world challenges. Like the Raimi Spidey run, the Marc Webb Spidey run, the X-Men films, the Fantastic Four films (though light on story intensity) and DC films.

Although I've been waiting for Elon Must to be influenced by MCU films by flying around in armor screaming 'I'm Tesla Man'. Watch. It's coming!

On 3/10/2020 at 11:21 PM, Buzzetta said:

The last movie I saw in the theaters was Rise of Skywalker... never saw Joker in the theaters and am waiting for it to pop up somewhere for free.

I was REALLY looking forward to seeing Bond in the theater as well as Mulan and Greyhound. 

They delayed Bond... but Mulan and Greyhound are apparently good to go.  Unfortunately I am not. 

Every day that I am 'not' getting sick is a good day. 

You see, taking an overcrowded train and then the subway every day I encounter and see a lot.  You can tell people all day long with words, signs, commercials, press conferences and everything else to cover their mouth when they sneeze or cough or to have basic self awareness as it is best to conduct themselves during this.  They aren't doing it.  Yesterday, someone sneezed right into the open air yesterday with no regard to covering their mouth.  They were standing up and checking their phone with one hand while holding the passenger bar with the other.

You cannot suddenly teach good manners even in times of crisis.

So, no... I will not be rolling the dice and sitting next to strangers for two hour stretches right now. 

Apple bought Greyhound for 70 million and it will play on Apple TV+ on July 10. First good thing to play there. I don’t know what the subscription costs as I got an year for free when I bought last years iphone. They also acquired the third installment from Spielberg/Hanks to follow Band of Brothers and The Pacific.

14 minutes ago, Grails said:

Apple bought Greyhound for 70 million and it will play on Apple TV+ on July 10. First good thing to play there. I don’t know what the subscription costs as I got an year for free when I bought last years iphone. They also acquired the third installment from Spielberg/Hanks to follow Band of Brothers and The Pacific.

I didn't know this, so thank you.  It gives me pause to consider subscribing but I am going to have to wait.  I am not doing Apple TV which is odd since I only 'do' Apple products in the house.  However, since I use my parent's cable package over my Apple TV and I give them Netflix and Amazon Prime, if they express interest in Apple TV I will probably do it. 

2 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

The new theater normal. Which probably should have been the old theater normal to begin with with cleanliness.

So how long is it going to take to dry?  Will you be getting a wet butt/back because the theater is trying to churn and burn a lot of showings to make up for being limited to 50% capacity?

some actual #'s:  given that July now looks like a near wipe-out as well, US will be hard pressed to get to $5BB for the year

Domestic Yearly Box Office

Compare

Year to Date

January 1 - June 27

Data as of Jun 26, 17:01 PDT
Year Gross vs 2020 vs 2019 vs 2018 vs 2017 vs 2016 vs 2015
2020 $1,792,471,206 - -67% -70% -67.4% -67% -66.4%
2019 $5,423,594,422 +202.6% - -9.3% -1.2% -0.2% +1.8%
2018 $5,980,422,874 +233.6% +10.3% - +8.9% +10.1% +12.2%
2017 $5,491,140,179 +206.3% +1.2% -8.2% - +1% +3%
2016 $5,433,996,577 +203.2% +0.2% -9.1% -1% - +1.9%
2015 $5,330,355,800 +197.4% -1.7% -10.9% -2.9% -1.9%  

Cinemark Pushes Back Reopening Date for Theaters

On Tuesday, Cinemark Theaters announced that it is making changes to its reopening plans. The theater chain has chosen to delay its reopening until Friday, July 24th. The decision comes after the delays of studio films like Tenet and Mulan, which were pushed back in light of the recent surge in COVID-19 cases. Upon reopening, the theaters will see returning classic movies and have "elevated cleaning and safety standards." The reopening will take place ahead of the new planned released dates for a series of anticipated films: Unhinged on July 31st, The Broken Hearts Gallery on August 7th, Tenet on August 12th, Mulan on August 21st, Bill & Ted Face the Music on August 28th, and A Quiet Place Part II on September 4th.

"Cinemark is pleased with the moviegoer response and key learnings from our initial five-theatre test-and-learn phase in the Dallas area, and we look forward to welcoming movie fans back into our auditoriums across the country to enjoy this year's newest films," said Cinemark CEO Mark Zoradi in a press release. "Our multi-phased reopening plan was thoughtfully designed with multiple contingencies in place that enable us to efficiently adapt to today's ever-changing environment. We continue to pay close attention to status of the virus, local mandates and availability of new content while prioritizing the health and safety of our guests, employees and communities."

Movie theaters closed due to the coronavirus pandemic, and most remain closed still. In April, Cinemark sold $250 million worth of debt securities to increase liquidity with its income stream at a halt. Chains and studios continue to come up with ways to draw audiences back into movie theaters once they do reopen, including bringing popular movies back into theaters. Despite all of this, at least half of theatergoers say they'll avoid going to see a film even once theaters are open again.

Rival chain AMC Theatres made a similar decision on Monday, pushing back it's reopening until July 30th. "We continue to devote extraordinary resources into our plan to operate our theatres with a hyper commitment to the safety and health of our guests and associates, notably in the United States through our new AMC Safe & Clean initiative," said AMC Theatres CEO and president Adam Aron. "Our theatre general managers across the U.S. started working full time again today and are back in their theatres gearing up to get their buildings fully ready just a few weeks from now for moviegoers. That happy day, when we can welcome guests back into most of our U.S. theatres, will be Thursday, July 30."

For families missing the big screen, Walmart is set to debut its drive-in movie tour this summer.

In a release posted to their website, Walmart said it will be working with Tribeca Enterprises to transform 160 of its store parking lots into contact-free drive-in movie theaters.

"Beginning in August, Walmart will roll out this red carpet experience in towns across the country for a combined 320 showings," the company wrote. "This family-friendly night will include hit movies, special appearances from filmmakers and celebrities and concessions delivered right to customer vehicles."

The drive-in tour will run through October.

Additional details, such as locations and ticket information, will be announced here closer to the start of the tour, officials say.

1 hour ago, Bosco685 said:

Pandemic period story entertainment from the Gotham showrunner. (:

That sounds more like Florida than Oregon. 🤣🤣🤣

Edited by D84

Deadline has consistently said that studios will look to NY & LA to determine release dates; LA is on fire and Garcetti mentioned reversion to stay at home and NYC banned large gatherings through Sept.  Unless studios change their thinking, movie theaters aren't opening soon.