• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How deep do you consider slabbing a set?
2 2

74 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, Jasonmorris1000000 said:

How many issues of Alf was there anyway?  That was #48!  Imagine the looks on the graders faces if they got a box of 50 consecutive issues.  By #34 they’re getting so pissed off that they start giving all of them an 8.5.

• 50 issues of the main Alf series
    • Most, perhaps all, exist as both direct market and newsstand printings.
    • A UK edition for at least issues 1-12 exists. The UK #1 has a totally different cover than the US version.
  • 3 Alf Annuals
    • All three exist as direct market and newsstands.
  • 2 Alf Holiday Specials
    • Both of these also exist as both direct market and newsstand
  • The Super-Sized Alf Spring Special
    • Yep. Direct market and newsstand.
  • Marvel Comics Presents Alf. This is a single issue mini-comic (Chuck describes it as an "Ashcan" for absolutely no good reason) that was apparently a promotional give-away.
  • If you include them as comics, there are also two square-bound, digest-sized issues of Alf Comics Magazine.
    • Chuck seems to have a newsstand version of at least #2 here, presented without a photo. I really have no idea if these have DM/newsstand variants

A really comprehensive collection of Marvel Alf content would thus be 125 books (assuming there are DM/newsstand versions of all 50 of the main series), plus potentially 2-4 more to cover Alf Comics Magazine if you are so inclined. Or 69 (+2 Alf Comics Magazine) if you're only interested in comics that CGC would slab as registry-distinct (ignoring the DM/newsstand split, but including the 12 Marvel UK issues).

GoCollect somehow has enough market data to claim a ~$90 FMV for 9.8 CGC copies of a couple issues in the 30s, but #48 is unquestionably the key book in this collection, with a price driven up by interest in the ludicrous cover art. I would not be surprised to see CGC 9.8 copies (of which there are actually a handful) pull $300-400. Maybe more. I shudder to think. Doubly difficult would be the 48 newsstand if you're going for the full variant set. Of course, everything after #37 was released after the show's cancellation, and I suspect that all of those are pretty elusive as newsstand editions. Of course, very little of this has been graded by CGC at all (Alf 1-5, 11, 13, 15, 18, 29-30, 36-38, 44-45, 48, 50 [no UK editions]; Annual 1; Alf Comics Magazine 1).

I do not in good conscience recommend this to anyone, but there it is. Good luck, Alf lovers.

On 5/20/2020 at 10:53 AM, Jasonmorris1000000 said:

Just some words of advice if you decide to go down this road.  I’ve found that I’ve had to buy runs from private collectors on eBay in order to get high grade copies of issues that no one in their right mind would send into CGC.  As a result I’ve started to amass multiple copies of issues that suck and they’re eating up space.  Also at one point I wasn’t paying attention to how many $15 to $50 sets I was buying and the costs ballooned to the point where I had to sell some cool, rare, desirable stuff from my collection to offset the expense.  This path may make you do some dumb investment moves to procure comics that no one but you wants graded.

This is why I don’t do the registry, but respect those that do and get the appeal. I keep my runs raw and in mylite2/fullbacks.

On 5/25/2020 at 10:15 PM, Jasonmorris1000000 said:

How deep do you consider slabbing Alf?

IMG_2045.PNG

Alf-For me,Just that issue if I had a 9.8.

That set completed ( graded) would still would be Fantastic to see. :headbang:

Any set completed ( especially if series has 20 issues or more) graded, would definitely be applauded by myself. As I know how much effort it takes to complete a graded run (especially In 9.8 or higher) the non-valued issues that are harder to find in higher grade, Really cost some cash, and effort ... (thumbsu

1 hour ago, nepatkm said:

I’ve completed Tomb of Dracula 1-70, and the 5 Giant-Sized Editions in CGC 9.2, and higher grades.  This took me a decade to finish. could be much easier for others, but still took me some time as just a collector.. :$

F85D6FBF-A13D-4B88-A8F1-A5D0F7D20A6D.jpeg

Awesome!

Your almost there in your punisher too! :headbang:

Man, that's a pretty run of Dracula there. Out of curiosity, how did you find high grade copies of some of the low-value issues late in this run? Buying duplicates and curating carefully for CGC submission ("low-value" for ToD is still non-trivial, so perhaps not), or hunting for especially nice copies in person, or...?

1 hour ago, nepatkm said:

Any set completed ( especially if series has 20 issues or more) graded, would definitely be applauded by myself. As I know how much effort it takes to complete a graded run (especially In 9.8 or higher) the non-valued issues that are harder to find in higher grade, Really cost some cash, and effort ... (thumbsu

I feel guilty for laughing at someone who would have 50 issues of Alf graded.  I have 250 graded Swamp Things which is 5 times laughable to any sane person.  The people at CGC probably want to strangle me.

14 hours ago, Jasonmorris1000000 said:

How did you make a collage of the covers like that?  I love it.

Thanks, @Jasonmorris1000000, I take a scan of my book, shrink, cut, and paste to a blanked out photo in paint. I’ve done this for sets ive completed, or close to completing.

Edited by nepatkm

22 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Awesome!

Your almost there in your punisher too! :headbang:

Thanks @ADAMANTIUM 😃,

Not only going for the 1987 series, but trying to complete every major Punisher series in 9.8... Think I’ve bit off more than I can chew. 🤣🤣🤣

16 minutes ago, Qalyar said:

Man, that's a pretty run of Dracula there. Out of curiosity, how did you find high grade copies of some of the low-value issues late in this run? Buying duplicates and curating carefully for CGC submission ("low-value" for ToD is still non-trivial, so perhaps not), or hunting for especially nice copies in person, or...?

Thanks @Qalyar- mostly watching eBay, and submissions. It’s a older (bronze) popular series, so they pop up more frequently for sale than A modern (Copper, modern) series would. 👍 Relatively more available. 

11 minutes ago, Jasonmorris1000000 said:

I feel guilty for laughing at someone who would have 50 issues of Alf graded.  I have 250 graded Swamp Things which is 5 times laughable to any sane person.  The people at CGC probably want to strangle me.

I’d love to see that set !! :foryou:

quite an accomplishment @Jasonmorris1000000 (worship)

Edited by nepatkm