• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Celebration of Allen Bellman..RIP Golden Age Legend

25 posts in this topic

So looks like this is official, the passing of a Legend. 

Was hoping to get one more chance to see him. He was definitely a fun and caring guy to meet and talk to!

https://comicbook.com/comics/2020/03/10/allen-bellman-golden-age-marvel-artist-dead-at-95/

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2020/03/09/allen-bellman-marvel-timely-artist-has-passed-away-at-96/

Allan Bellman.png

Oh man, what a bummer. I was literally telling my wife an hour ago that his name was missing off the WonderCon guest list. This explains why. 

Very sad, I met him a year ago at a show in NY. Wonderful man. Very friendly, warm and funny. He signed a couple of my books. His mind and wit was very sharp, 

I believe Ken Bald is now the last man standing from Timely Comics,

RIP sir!

I didn’t realize Ken Bald had passed. I forgot Al Jaffee worked at Timely. But now I realize I have some Patsy Walker books with his work. 

I was talking with a friend on Sunday about EC. Near as we can tell, Angelo Torres is the last man standing from that publisher. 

I was hoping to see Alan Bellman again but it just won’t happen. He was a hoot!

I met Allen Bellman a few years ago. When I saw he was appearing at a local show, I went online to see if I happened to have any of his works in my small Golden Age library. According to his personal website, I did, so I brought a couple early issues of Man Comics for him to sign.

When I gave him the books to sign, he looked puzzled, and after flipping through them, said, "Did I draw something in here?"

I said, "well, your website says you did!"

He agreed to sign them, but on the condition that I first buy one of his prints, which I did. 

I still don't know if he actually drew anything in those issues of Man Comics, but I hope so, because either way they now have his signature!

Edited by Crimebuster

My brother and I spent nearly an hour with him at Boston comiccon probably 5 years ago.  There weren't allot of people at his booth which I thought was such a shame,  so we talked about Timely in the 40s.

He was a very friendly and colorful guy. 

My son was 2 at the time and he signed a bunch of prints made out to him. His wife (I assume it was his wife?) made him throw in an extra CA print.  

I'll have to dig those out.

On 3/10/2020 at 8:37 AM, Robot Man said:

I didn’t realize Ken Bald had passed. I forgot Al Jaffee worked at Timely. But now I realize I have some Patsy Walker books with his work. 

I was talking with a friend on Sunday about EC. Near as we can tell, Angelo Torres is the last man standing from that publisher. 

Do Al or Angelo ever attend conventions? If so I’ve never seen them.

Edited by LDarkseid1

On 3/10/2020 at 1:04 PM, Electricmastro said:

Cool art by Allen Bellman from Adventures into Terror #7 (December, 1951):

qd3jmxkcVtpsfYiE2tzrVA7wc2Ku4JPim7ZUyql3

I had never heard of him...but I've never heard of a lot of artists.  However, his artwork is interesting and reminds me a little of Krigstein.  As for the story, I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say the woman is the mad killer...hm

On 3/10/2020 at 11:37 AM, Robot Man said:

Torres did some very decent work for Atlas too …. mostly in the western and fantasy genres. Sorry to hear about Bellman... what a cool old guy. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

13 hours ago, LDarkseid1 said:

Do Al or Angelo ever attend conventions? If so I’ve never seen them.

I saw Torres a few years ago at a con. He looked pretty good. Jaffee was showing up at MAD reunions but haven’t  heard of him doing any other cons or public events. 

36 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

I saw Torres a few years ago at a con. He looked pretty good. Jaffee was showing up at MAD reunions but haven’t  heard of him doing any other cons or public events. 

Damn, would love to meet either of those guys someday!