• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC outer holder got unsealed. Have to re-grade?
1 1

9 posts in this topic

I took out my only cgc book out of storage to look at. It's been in my closet for years and pretty much never gets touched. Unfortunately I've found that the seal in the middle of the edge has come undone. If I pry with my fingers you can open it slightly. So it's not super loose. Not sure if there are seals in the corners or not, but seems pretty tight everywhere else on the holder. It seems to have caused some sort of effect on the backside (see pic) if you press on it or try to bend it, it distorts and disperses. Air bubble effect maybe?

So is this worthless and voided now? Would I just pay the $15 reholder fee if it needed to be graded again? Or would I have to pay the full original fee again?

Thanks

20200310_012225.jpg

20200310_010857.jpg

5 hours ago, Tregster said:

I took out my only cgc book out of storage to look at. It's been in my closet for years and pretty much never gets touched. Unfortunately I've found that the seal in the middle of the edge has come undone. If I pry with my fingers you can open it slightly. So it's not super loose. Not sure if there are seals in the corners or not, but seems pretty tight everywhere else on the holder. It seems to have caused some sort of effect on the backside (see pic) if you press on it or try to bend it, it distorts and disperses. Air bubble effect maybe?

So is this worthless and voided now? Would I just pay the $15 reholder fee if it needed to be graded again? Or would I have to pay the full original fee again?

Thanks

No.

A re-holder likely won't result in a re-grade. That's typically for comics that appear to be impacted by the damaged case.

5 hours ago, Tregster said:

Thanks

reholder it (which doesn't re grade it) and that air bubble effect is a newton ring which is kind of like a air bubble effect. 

12 hours ago, Tregster said:

I took out my only cgc book out of storage to look at. It's been in my closet for years and pretty much never gets touched. Unfortunately I've found that the seal in the middle of the edge has come undone. If I pry with my fingers you can open it slightly.

20200310_012225.jpg

Are you 100% sure it was not like that originally? I ask because what I see above and what you describe sounds very normal for CGC slabs from the past 8 years. They were meant to open up at that spot that way.

8 hours ago, William-James88 said:

Are you 100% sure it was not like that originally? I ask because what I see above and what you describe sounds very normal for CGC slabs from the past 8 years. They were meant to open up at that spot that way.

I never did really check it until now, so I'm starting to think it's normal.

14 hours ago, Krismusic said:

reholder it (which doesn't re grade it) and that air bubble effect is a newton ring which is kind of like a air bubble effect. 

Are the newton ring spots harmful at all? Or is it just cosmetic? Fortunately they only appear on the back side.

Thanks for all the help guys!

9 hours ago, Tregster said:

I never did really check it until now, so I'm starting to think it's normal.

Are the newton ring spots harmful at all? Or is it just cosmetic? Fortunately they only appear on the back side.

Thanks for all the help guys!

just cosmetic

On 3/10/2020 at 3:20 PM, William-James88 said:

Correct. All the older holders usually have this characteristic. This in no way voids the certification of the book, but the new holders are superior, IMO...