• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Detective Comics Thread
5 5

4,430 posts in this topic

I've owned about 20. Nicest slabbed I had was a 5.0 sold to prime time and it was stolen along the mail system.

Had a raw 7.0 I sold for huge money years ago but don't think the buyer ever slabbed.

I've owned about 20. Nicest slabbed I had was a 5.0 sold to prime time and it was stolen along the mail system.

Had a raw 7.0 I sold for huge money years ago but don't think the buyer ever slabbed.

20 copies! ? (worship). Unfortunate how your former 5.0 got lost in transit. Was it found at all?

On 8/18/2014 at 10:55 PM, Dark Knight said:

20 copies! ? (worship). Unfortunate how your former 5.0 got lost in transit. Was it found at all?

Weird, but yes it was found (sort of).  Inside job from Rick’s local PO back in Lynn Haven, FL left the book MIA but tracking said it was signed for. Few years later it was reslabbed into a 4.5 blue. I noticed it was the same copy as it had some noticeable defects. I had kept the old 5.0 scan, and Rick actually re-purchased the book as a 4.5 slab and didn’t even know it was the same stolen book we had been looking for. :insane:

Edited by Primetime

1 hour ago, Primetime said:

Weird, but yes it was found (sort of).  Inside job from Rick’s local PO back in Lynn Haven, FL left the book MIA but tracking said it was signed for. Few years later it was reslabbed into a 4.5 blue. I noticed it was the same copy as it had some noticeable defects. I had kept the old 5.0 scan, and Rick actually re-purchased the book as a 4.5 slab and didn’t even know it was the same stolen book we had been looking for. :insane:

:whatthe: That's some story...

3 hours ago, Dark Knight said:
4 hours ago, Primetime said:

:whatthe: That's some story...

Did you and Rick ever tried to trace the path of the book backwards in the hope of nabbing the culprit who had stolen the book in order to give them a good beat down?  :slapfight:

4 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Did you and Rick ever tried to trace the path of the book backwards in the hope of nabbing the culprit who had stolen the book in order to give them a good beat down?  :slapfight:

No, the book was MIA and don’t think Rick couldn’t recall who he bought the book from the second time around. 

:popcorn:

Detective 69 CGC 5.5 OW/W  (some foxing on back cover) went for $16K in the Clink auction last night.

My initial feeling was this was real low after the 6.5 $30Kish sale a while back and a 2.5 $8K sale, but perhaps not given the foxing. 

Interested to hear others thoughts.  Low? High? About right?

On 1/28/2020 at 3:53 PM, Johnny545 said:

Detective 69 CGC 5.5 OW/W  (some foxing on back cover) went for $16K in the Clink auction last night.

My initial feeling was this was real low after the 6.5 $30Kish sale a while back and a 2.5 $8K sale, but perhaps not given the foxing. 

I am still finding a hard time getting my head around the huge runup in prices for both 'Tec 62 and 'Tec 69 over the past couple of years. :screwy:

Yes, they are both early Joker covers, but the covers themselves aren't necessarily that great on their own.  Especially in light of the fact there are just so many other Joker covers in both of the Batman related series, with some possibly better than these 2 covers.  (shrug)

Edited by lou_fine

1 hour ago, lou_fine said:

I am still finding a hard time getting my head around the huge runup in prices for both 'Tec 62 and 'Tec 69 over the past couple of years. :screwy:

Yes, they are both early Joker covers, but the covers themselves aren't necessarily that great on their own.  Especially in light of the fact there are just so many other Joker covers in both of the Batman related series, with some possibly better than these 2 covers.  (shrug)

Tec 62 is arguably the first real joker cover.  Detective 40 may be an image from the Batman 1 story, but DC recolored it for a reason.

Tec 69 is considered to be up there with Batman 11 as far as iconic Joker covers are concerned.  Personally,  I never cared for it, but it's popular.

There are several cheaper Joker covers I'd rather have than those two.

On 1/29/2020 at 7:53 AM, Johnny545 said:

Actually the Detective 69 went for $17,703. The last Tec 69 CGC 5.5 OW/W went for $10,911 Dec 2016. So a nice run up during the 3 years or so.

But if you compare a sale recorded March 2018 a Tec 69 CGC 4.5 went for $17,705. Just comparing the CGC 4.5 and the current sale of the CGC 5.5 yes it seems the 5.5 was soft , maybe the foxing? who knows?

Do these sales justify with the price the Tec 69  CGC 6.5  sold for $29,500 in Sept 2017? Maybe yes since there hasn’t been another sale CGC 6.0 or higher in a very long time.

What we need is a 6.0 or higher to come to market to test the price points we are seeing on these books. I’m sure they’re out there but just not being auctioned right now. Time will tell.

11 hours ago, Bat-Hound said:

What we need is a 6.0 or higher to come to market to test the price points we are seeing on these books. I’m sure they’re out there but just not being auctioned right now. Time will tell.

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/detective-comics-69-dc-1942-cgc-fn-65-off-white-to-white-pages/p/7224-256001.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515