• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Detective Comics Thread
5 5

4,430 posts in this topic

22 minutes ago, Gotham Kid said:

Nice! Exactly what the marked needed for this book. The piece missing top right corner and staple wear has some concerns though? I know each book is different but my prediction is less than 20k. 

On 8/16/2005 at 7:33 PM, CW said:

Alright guys I think it is time to start one of these up. If it has been done, my bad. The purpose of this thread will be to post pics of your personal Detective Comics from the Golden-Age. If we run out of material Batman will be acceptable. I don't want to be the first guy to post a pic so somebody else show us your stuff, doesn't matter if you've alredy posted it in another thread go for it.

-CW

:wink:

12 hours ago, FFB said:

It's been a long time since I posted these, so here are a couple more gems.  

102715302_Detective18cover.thumb.jpg.73a2983a743d1e1a6c3ff9b94c78e76f.jpg

FFB -- a voice from the distant past!!! :whatthe:

6 minutes ago, FFB said:

:headbang:  how have you been? 

Doing well.

Glad to see you back. :foryou:

Is this just a drive by or a longer stay?

On 1/29/2020 at 3:52 PM, lou_fine said:

I am still finding a hard time getting my head around the huge runup in prices for both 'Tec 62 and 'Tec 69 over the past couple of years. :screwy:

Yes, they are both early Joker covers, but the covers themselves aren't necessarily that great on their own.  Especially in light of the fact there are just so many other Joker covers in both of the Batman related series, with some possibly better than these 2 covers.  (shrug)

And, oddly enough, the lack of the same type of runup for Batman #11. Is there any more of a classic cover?

2 hours ago, FFB said:

Figure I'll stick around for a while. Seems to be quite a bit less traffic here these days? 

I think SA Forum is down but GA has been steady and interesting cuz all the cool cats hang out here.

On 2/20/2020 at 10:32 AM, RockMyAmadeus said:
On 1/29/2020 at 3:52 PM, lou_fine said:

I am still finding a hard time getting my head around the huge runup in prices for both 'Tec 62 and 'Tec 69 over the past couple of years. :screwy:

Yes, they are both early Joker covers, but the covers themselves aren't necessarily that great on their own.  Especially in light of the fact there are just so many other Joker covers in both of the Batman related series, with some possibly better than these 2 covers.  (shrug)

And, oddly enough, the lack of the same type of runup for Batman #11. Is there any more of a classic cover?

Most definitely as I still remember when Batman 11 was clearly the primo classic Joker cover to go after back in the day.  (thumbsu

Since Joker is apparently so big with his Oscar nominated movie and all that, has anybody here noticed any movement in terms of 'Tec 40 since that book has now finally been designated as the first Joker cover after some controversy about it in the past?  :luhv:  :takeit:

22 hours ago, FFB said:
On 2/20/2020 at 9:19 AM, adamstrange said:

Doing well.

Glad to see you back. :foryou:

Is this just a drive by or a longer stay?

Figure I'll stick around for a while. Seems to be quite a bit less traffic here these days? 

Well, welcome back to the boards again after an absence of quite a few years now.  :hi:

Yep, seems pretty much dead here as compared to the good old days when the boards were jumping with tons of action and posts. :frown:

Maybe all of the old boardies have gone to the same place where you've been for the past few years?  (shrug)

2 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Most definitely as I still remember when Batman 11 was clearly the primo classic Joker cover to go after back in the day.  (thumbsu

Since Joker is apparently so big with his Oscar nominated movie and all that, has anybody here noticed any movement in terms of 'Tec 40 since that book has now finally been designated as the first Joker cover after some controversy about it in the past?  :luhv:  :takeit:

It's not the Joker. It's a figure that looks nothing like the Joker, that happens to be revealed to be the Joker in the story inside...but the visual depiction on the cover is not the Joker,

19 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:
3 hours ago, lou_fine said:

It's not the Joker. It's a figure that looks nothing like the Joker, that happens to be revealed to be the Joker in the story inside...but the visual depiction on the cover is not the Joker,

It looks like this has been an ongoing controversy from way back in the day decades ago and also more recently on the boards here:  :blahblah:  :blahblah:

Hate to be the bearer of bad news here, but it would appear that Overstreet has already made a clear and definitive determination on this very topic decades ago in his guide with the following description for Detective Comics #40, as I am sure you are fully aware of:  :gossip:

"Origin & ist appearance Clayfce (Basil Karlo): 1st Joker cover appearance (6/40); Joker story intended for this issue was used in Batman #1 instead; cover is similar to splash page in 2nd Joker story in Batman #1"

1 hour ago, lou_fine said:

1st Joker cover appearance (6/40); Joker story intended for this issue was used in Batman #1 instead; cover is similar to splash page in 2nd Joker story in Batman #1"

Batman 11 is the first cover we know has the Joker on the cover.

4 hours ago, lou_fine said:

It looks like this has been an ongoing controversy from way back in the day decades ago and also more recently on the boards here:  :blahblah:  :blahblah:

Hate to be the bearer of bad news here, but it would appear that Overstreet has already made a clear and definitive determination on this very topic decades ago in his guide with the following description for Detective Comics #40, as I am sure you are fully aware of:  :gossip:

"Origin & ist appearance Clayfce (Basil Karlo): 1st Joker cover appearance (6/40); Joker story intended for this issue was used in Batman #1 instead; cover is similar to splash page in 2nd Joker story in Batman #1"

Oh, I understand the arguments. They're not bad arguments. And I don't think less of anyone who agrees with them. (I said inside; I meant inside Batman #1. I don't own these spendy books for handy reference. ;)

But it's just not the Joker. 

3 hours ago, Larryw7 said:

It looks like Joker, but without the chalk white skin and green hair.

Well, maybe it's like the movies where there's an earlier preliminary trial version without any of the facial makeup before he refines it into a much more polished and supposedly scarcier version of the Joker. hm