• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Detective Comics Thread
5 5

4,430 posts in this topic

I think what happened is that the second Joker story.was planned for Detective 40, and when DC decided to do a Batman quarterly, they used existing inventory for Batman 1, including the Hugo Strange story originally meant for Tec 38. They still used the "Joker" cover, but completely recolored his whole look because he didn't appear in the book. But that first Clayface story is awesome anyway.

P.S. I like the Tec 62 cover much more than the overrated Joker gun cover.

9 hours ago, Larryw7 said:

I much prefer the Detective 71 cover with the large Joker image over either the 'Tec 62 ballon cover or the 'Tec 69 gun cover.  

Then again, I also would much rather go for the Batman 11 cover over all 3 of these other Detective covers.  :luhv:  :takeit:

On 2/19/2020 at 5:53 PM, FFB said:

Getting things back on track a bit here.  

1118413882_Detective10front.thumb.jpg.ac460bc30ec5ccabc4b50333ccbbfef5.jpg

Welcome back man!!!! A true OG of the boards returns!

On 1/30/2020 at 8:16 AM, Bat-Hound said:

Nice! Exactly what the marked needed for this book. The piece missing top right corner and staple wear has some concerns though? I know each book is different but my prediction is less than 20k. 

Looks like I was wrong!! This Tec #69 has a listed sold price of $28,800. Not bad at all and is more or less holding consistent valuations. 

3 hours ago, Dark Knight said:

Agreed on Tec #69 did very well! I also think the AS #3 CGC 3.5 at $20k too! Unsure about the Suspense #3 CGC 5.0 copy if it did well or not.  I don't follow that book closely.

the Suspense 3 did not do well considering the last 1.0 sold for $21k.

22 hours ago, Dark Knight said:

Agreed on Tec #69 did very well! I also think the AS #3 CGC 3.5 at $20k too! Unsure about the Suspense #3 CGC 5.0 copy if it did well or not.  I don't follow that book closely.

I had the same opinion on the Detective 69, really strong price in my opinion.  Same for the All Star 3 but it had decent eye appeal.  I remember several years back when that book got zero love.

On 2/21/2020 at 7:10 PM, lou_fine said:

Since Joker is apparently so big with his Oscar nominated movie and all that, has anybody here noticed any movement in terms of 'Tec 40 since that book has now finally been designated as the first Joker cover after some controversy about it in the past?  :luhv:  :takeit:

Browsing this thread and noticed that no one had responded to your inquiry.  Book has been way up since 2014, and particularly since your inquiry.  On 8/26/20 (the year after the movie), a 5.0 OW = $12,300 on ComicConnect (last reported sale was $2925 (!) in 2014), to be dwarfed on 9/24/21 by the 5.0 OW/W for $20K also on ComicConnect (non-auction listing).  And then we have the 6.0 OW/W that sold on 6/17/22 on Heritage for $31,200.  So I think the answer is "yes," as each one of these were record highs (by a lot).  

Edited by Pantodude

On 2/23/2020 at 5:07 AM, Larryw7 said:

I think what happened is that the second Joker story.was planned for Detective 40, and when DC decided to do a Batman quarterly, they used existing inventory for Batman 1, including the Hugo Strange story originally meant for Tec 38. They still used the "Joker" cover, but completely recolored his whole look because he didn't appear in the book. But that first Clayface story is awesome anyway.

Yes! Me too. In fact I have one coming tomorrow or the next day. Good possibility on what you said may have happened. Kind of stinks that on the '1st" Joker cover he looks so poor. Then again we don't need a "1st" with everything. Tec 62, Bat 11, and Tec 69 are the true early Joker covers. Tec 71 and 76 are pretty darn nice as well but I think by then he was getting a little soft.