• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2020 March Madness - Round of 96
7 7

331 posts in this topic

23 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Congrats! @Krismusic now win one more time :)

Oh wow I won lol thanks.. I guess grading on a desktop with a decent monitor helps compared to a phone lol doh!

4 minutes ago, adampasz said:

Phew. Made it through.

These were my grades. I was one notch too high on every book.

ETERNALS 9.6
GH 8.5
HOS 8.5
SME 4.5

Is there a prize for consistency?

Wrong Contest... But that contest would also have a chart showing you as a chronic OverGrader... :baiting:   :kidaround:

Edited by sckao

Thanks for taking it easy on me Wipple! :tonofbricks:

1 hour ago, trmoore54 said:

CONGRATS to my opponent aszumilo  [62] !! :headbang:

I had 55.  This post is primarily aimed at Newbies and those continuing to define their grading skills.  I have been grading comic books pretty much all my life...with long gaps in between...but love to grade books.  Obviously you look at the book initially and have a general sense of the grade...at least LG...MG...or HG...now you've narrowed it down and you have a 1/3 chance of being the right grade if you are in the right category.  If you're not in the right category, go back to square one and get a grading lesson.  So I figure I'm generally there, and I give 2 grades within one grade of each other...my initial grade (thought) and then the next grade either up or down.  So for example with the ETERNALS book I went 9.8/9.6.  Saw the chip on the corner and thought 9.4? but went 9.6. (shrug)

After I look at the large scans...which I find, for me, can be plus/minus beneficial or detrimental to my initial grade thoughts...I sometimes introduce a third grade...taking the nudge grade a further grade.  For the other books GR I went 7.5, 8.0 and then after the large scan 7.0 and went 7.0.  FAIL. :tonofbricks:

For the HS book went 8.0/7.5 and picked the "wrong" grade. :frustrated:

For the SME I went 5.0/5.5...large scans flipped me back to 4.5 (and thinking possibly 4.0 but figuring CGC will give nudge for being an older book).  Went 4.5 with another near miss. :pullhair:

So was pretty close on all 4 books...but as luck would have it no Bullseyes...and in this case a losing score in a grading contest.  But still a lot of fun and still, for me, helping me know I still have a pretty good sense of grading a book.  And I encourage all participants, "losers" or otherwise...there will be only one winner...to contribute to the prize thread...that's a lot of fun as well... :banana:

Something doesn't add up here.  My opponent shows as

image.png.c7a084e0be2b8ed3fc24e8646a10e4cb.png

But, I have no score listed.

Your opponent is shown as

image.thumb.png.96a73bea4e57a58b3d6786913cff45bd.png

His score is what my score is (and as you posted)

Not sure what is going on here.  Gonna have to go to the replay and see what the refs say.