• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where does 0.5 end and NG begin; partial cover?

23 posts in this topic

I have seen books graded 0.5 with no back covers and books with partial covers also seem to be graded 0.5.

It seems books with no front cover seem to be graded NG.

So what about a book with no back cover and only a partial front cover; how would that grade?

Perhaps it might be better asked - How much of the front cover could be missing (what percentage) and still earn a grade of 0.5 (assuming no back cover)?

Any thoughts, opinions, or best yet photos of books in this range would be appreciated.

Thank you!

11 hours ago, Hudson said:

It seems books with no front cover seem to be graded NG.

So what about a book with no back cover and only a partial front cover; how would that grade?

I've seen a book with only the back cover and no front cover grade at 0.5. I think as long as 1 or more cover is mostly present it should grade 0.5.

1 hour ago, HuddyBee said:

I've seen a book with only the back cover and no front cover grade at 0.5. I think as long as 1 or more cover is mostly present it should grade 0.5.

Thank you for your thoughts on this.  I appreciate you responding.  Do you have a photo of a book with no front cover with a 0.5 grade on it?

I would be intersted in seeing photos (if anyone has them) of CGC graded books in this range.  For example, I have a nice single digit Action Comic with a complete back cover (and complete interior), but no front cover and it received an NG.

I know CGC (or anybody  else) does not always grade the same way, every day, but I would like to get a consensus on this, if possible.

Thank you again.  I appreicate you taking the time to respond.

19 minutes ago, marvelmaniac said:

WOW!  This is extremely helpful.  Thank you!

From what is printed, it looks like a comic with at least part of the front cover SHOULD be given an actual grade (probably 0.5) and NOT a simple NG.

I copy and pasted the below from the link kindly provided by MarvelManiac.....

NG – This label stands for "No Grade" and is assigned to comics that are either missing the entire cover, or one half or more of the interior pages, or both. It may also be assigned to comics that are only being verified as authentic, per CGC's discretion.

1 hour ago, Hudson said:

WOW!  This is extremely helpful.  Thank you!

From what is printed, it looks like a comic with at least part of the front cover SHOULD be given an actual grade (probably 0.5) and NOT a simple NG.

I copy and pasted the below from the link kindly provided by MarvelManiac.....

NG – This label stands for "No Grade" and is assigned to comics that are either missing the entire cover, or one half or more of the interior pages, or both. It may also be assigned to comics that are only being verified as authentic, per CGC's discretion.

Interesting, so by definition, this listing is not correct in its grade: https://www.mycomicshop.com/search?ItemID=50800772

right? or does their One Half or more of interior pages reffer only to story/art pages?

Edited by William-James88

20 hours ago, Hudson said:

Do you have a photo of a book with no front cover with a 0.5 grade on it?

I tried looking for it, but I can't seem to find it. If I remember correctly it was an eBay listing, a copy of FF1 with its back cover but a facsimile front cover. Still got a 0.5

20 hours ago, OwMyToe said:

Just wondering.... why would you slab a book like this?

Why would you slab any book? Same reason you'll have for that apply to this. Some people like owning slabs.

If you have an Amazing Fantasy 15 with more than half the inner pages missing but it still has a nice cover, slabbing it would add it's sale price to the GPA and you could establish a market and fair market value for a grade that would otherwise be hard to do that with. Just an example of one reason.

On 3/11/2020 at 1:52 PM, William-James88 said:

Interesting, so by definition, this listing is not correct in its grade: https://www.mycomicshop.com/search?ItemID=50800772

right? or does their One Half or more of interior pages reffer only to story/art pages?

Replying to myself because I have the answer now and if it helps anyone else, then great.

I misread the definition of NG, I thought "one half or more" meant half of an inner page missing, but it's half of all inner pages. That makes much more sense.

So to answer the original question, 0.5 ends when more than half of all inner pages are missing.

1 hour ago, OwMyToe said:

But this isn't any book, it's one with half a front and no back cover.

Oh, I didn't realize how robust the half a front and no back cover market is :eyeroll: 

I'd absolutely slab an Action 1, AF15, or Det27 with no BC and half a FC. Copies of all of those trade regularly for pretty solid folding money in even worse condition than that.

On 3/11/2020 at 6:23 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

I would grade a book with less than 60% of total covers NG.

No back cover = NG.

No front cover = NG.

I do not know what CGC's stance is on this.

They did paper-rock-scissors thing for NG or .5 for each book.

894dd9478deb7b7c37ec980b8cabdfe4e822b73b9fb3014baac0bb9532372546.jpg.5e7f22b28db40835e4278d3eb57c2a46.jpg

CGC's current stance is if you have a complete book, 1st page to last, intact and at least 1 of the covers,a front or back, it a CGC .5 not a NG

Anything more missing=NG

I just had a DD #1 as a CGC Universal .5 it was complete, with original back cover and i stuck a Fax front in there....

That should answer your q..... as does CGC's posted stance saying the same. 1/2 cover(meaning a front or back + complete book= .5)